Hey guys,

I really like and love Blackberry since one year. Can�t imagine a phone, which suits my needs better than this phone. But it is kind of a hate-love-relationship.
    It�s my third Bold, I swapped the device twice cause of a squeaky trackpad. Wish I hadn�t done that, cause my 9900 got more bugs than those old phones.
    The reception isn�t very good (I think it doesn�t have to do with the carrier). I don�t know if it�s the fault of the hardware or software. When I did a few phone calls, the speaker just stops working. The device is calling and connecting but I can�t even hear the ringing. When the call is picked up I can�t hear the person on the other side nor can the person hear me. That is very strange and soooo annoying....
    The notification bar won�t show any notifications except E-Mail, missed phone calls and calendar events (no fb, whatsapp, twitter....).
    After a reset BBM is always asking to make FB and other apps BBM connected, after every restart.... Sometimes a restart takes up to 4mins!
    I don�t have to mention battery life... I just bought a second battery^^

Should I swap the device again? I think they will just give me a refurbish one again.... A lot of Bold users doesn�t have any of these problems/ bugs. What would u do? The phone is running latest official OS 7.1.0.569.
    I�m a bit desperate about the situation. What would you do?
    09-13-12 05:08 PM
    i would do a full device wipe and start from scratch just maybe recover your contacts from a backup and reinstall apps one by one see how it works out
    Hgouck likes this.
    09-13-12 05:12 PM
    My 9930 has been almost flawless with the latest official OS from verizon. I will admit prior to .580 it had issues but not nearly as you describe. Have you tried contacting Rim tech support?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-13-12 05:18 PM
    Yeah something's screwy, you shouldn't be having these sorts of problems so I'd wipe and reload. Also .580 runs great on my 9930 the biggest obvious improvement being battery life, but even on the previous release I never had the problems you've described.
    09-13-12 06:17 PM
    What carrier are you on? If you are on AT&T, the issue with people not being able to hear you and you not being able to hear them may be caused by the OS version you are running. OS .569 is not compatible with AT&T for most people (it seems to depend on your location but the odds of you being in a location where it works are not good). The latest OS that doesn't have this issue is .437. All versions after that have the issue. If you're not on AT&T, I would swap out the device again.
    09-13-12 06:23 PM
    Install the latest RC5B hybrid O/S with .569 base. Go to Hybrid O/S in the forms to learn how, its failry easy. It will install one of the best radio files (.523) and the current 658 O/S. I have been running it for 2 days now, probably the best O/S I have used so far. Still early though as an O/S takes about a week to settle in. Have fun!
    09-13-12 06:36 PM
    It looks like the OP's on Vodafone DE? I have no idea what they might support. Any other Bold 99XX teamers on that carrier who can weigh in here?
    09-13-12 06:53 PM
    Almost all the OS7 phones in our company have had the no audio on calls issue. RIM tech support tells me it has been fixed on OS 7.1.0.173 and above. We are all on verizon and recently upgraded to 7.1.0.580 and so far we have not had the call issue occur on any of the upgraded devices.
    09-13-12 08:29 PM
    Hope I don't jinx myself but interestingly, I'm on my 4th 9900 (and this being the first "like new"/refurb unit) and it's worked better than the 3 previous ones that I had issues with. More reliable overall and seems to hold a connection better. This is the only one I've had where the screen actually fades to black when it detects it's up to my ear to take a call (didn't even know it was suppose to do that since it never did it before). That being said, I hope you get all of your issues worked out. I have a serious love-hate relationship with this phone. I want to love it because of the keyboard and slick, minimal design but I miss the overall reliability/battery life/and better camera from my 9780.
    09-14-12 12:31 PM
    I'm on vodafone DE. As I said before I don't think it is a carriers issue. It must be the phone. Vodafone has a very good reception everywhere. It's like AT&T in the US I guess. Tmobile might have a slightly better reception overall, however you won't feel the difference I guess. I haven't^^
    I think I'm going to wipe and reinstall my phone for another time (third time, last time is 2 months ago) and see how it goes on weekend. Should I reinstall the Hybrid OS on the wiped phone or a different one?
    If this won't fix the issues I def swap the phone again! I want a working phone! I will report!
    I think the latest official OS from vodafoneDE was 7.1.0.240 or sth like that. Pretty weak -.-
    Anyway. Thanks for all the replys.
    But what I can say from my point: I will certainly stick to BB. can't live without it anymore. And I'm really glad when BB10 is finally launching. That is going to be a b��m in all the iphone user faces

***edit. Forgot to mention to more issues: Some apps can't be reinstalled in appworld. The "reinstall" button is missing. GPS reception is sooo bad sometimes. On some occasions it takes ages before my location is tracked down. It seems that the phone is struggeling to keep my exact position (most annoying bug, together with the no audio calls).

Sent from my overall awesome BlackBerry 9900
    Last edited by Smartie020; 09-14-12 at 02:19 PM.
    09-14-12 02:04 PM
    Good luck to you. With all the different problems you're having it's certainly possible the device is just bad. I'm glad to know you plan to stick with BB. There really isn't anything near as good for my needs as my 9930 and if it suddenly started having problems I'd work through them or get a new one too.
    09-14-12 02:51 PM
    I would suggest you look here
    BerryLicio.us Ultimate hybrid for most OS 7.1 devices
    Most people are having fantastic results... Go with RC5B + 523sfi
    read and learn, everything you need is there and everyone there will help
    09-14-12 03:41 PM
    Do a backup with DM and try reloading the most current OS. If that doesn't work return it for another replacement device. Good luck.
    09-15-12 03:34 PM
    I�m not sure which files are needed for the hybrid OS installation...
    Seems a bit complicated. Are there two different ways to install HybridOS? With some I need to exchange java files. But there�s also a ready mixed os version, which u just need to install?
    This installation process is the worst thing about he phone. Looking forward to BB10!
    Last edited by Smartie020; 09-17-12 at 03:53 PM.
    09-17-12 03:18 PM
    I downloaded the full hybrid version.
    First I�ll wipe the phone, reinstall .523, then looking up .523 in the computer, exchange java and .alx files (????).... and then? Please help. The information given are confusing me^^
    Last edited by Smartie020; 09-17-12 at 05:20 PM.
    09-17-12 05:15 PM
    double post...
    09-17-12 05:18 PM
    Any questions you have relating to a hybrid OS should be asked in that particular thread.
    09-17-12 05:38 PM
    I finally managed to install a Hybrid OS. My phone is running much better. I think all bugs I listed before are gone

Problem is my GPS Position is still far away from accurate.... GPS Signal Position is bad. Thinking about swapping phone again
    09-30-12 04:26 PM
    I think signal strength and reliability of the signal is still not good. Sometimes the phone is loosing signal completely. Unable to lock a gps position when maps is used once, just after a reset.
    And today I can�t listen to music anymore when plugging ear phones in. The phone is always switching from earphohne mode to speaker mode (normal) all the time.

Going to swap the phone again. Hopefully the last time. I don�t want a refurbished 9900, I want one without any bugs!!
    10-10-12 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD