For a few years I have been using a Mugen 3600 mAh battery for my 9900 Bold but the other day I went to check the phone and found it was dead I did try a standard reset but it was still dead . I then installed one of the original 1230 mAh battery's and after doing a reset the phone started to boot up . I have tried to install the Mugen Battery a few times but its still dead , I have tried the Battery in my spare 9900 and it works find so I can only assume that Blackberry has down loaded something to defeat the Mugen Battery clones codes .

I was wonder if there was any body out there with the same problem as myself . I thought I would ask before I do a re-install .

Many Thanks
    12-07-16 07:23 PM
    Honestly I can't see why Blackberry would care about this and download some code so that a certain battery wouldn't work. There have been no updates from Blackberry for a couple years or more now for 0S7.

I think you should count yourself lucky to have got 3 years out of any battery.

"The 99's charms will tug at your heart. Nothing else ever approached such exquisite perfection"-idssteve
    12-07-16 10:30 PM
    Yes I know what you mean but I can only tell you how things are , I have just done a total install of the OS system , I might add I have done this a few times and the outcome is the same .

As soon as I log on to the BlackBerry System with ID and password with the Non standard battery installed the phone goes dead and you cannot restart it . If you try a reset and fit a original small standard battery after a few attempts it starts to boot and its ok . The problem only arises after you have fitted the 3600 mAh Battery . But like you I find it strange why BlackBerry should do this with as like you say the 9900 must be over 8 years , 7.1 Bundle ( 7.1.0.714 Platform 5.1.0.532 my Spare 9900 Also has the same O/S system installed .

So to recap all is ok until you sign in with your Black Berry ID and Password you can see a large amount of data coming in and soon after sign in the phone just dies . You maybe thinking by now why dont keep to the standard 1230 mAh original battery the reason being they dont last more than a day but the Mugen 3600 mAh battery last over a week .

Thanks for the reply
    12-08-16 10:25 PM
    Hmm... I'm certainly with you on genuinely extended batteries! Using a Seidio 3000 as we speak. Frequently use a 5000 "no name"... No issues at all. Used quite afew Mugens over the years... No issues at all. Haven't had to mess with "the codes" for quite a few years. At least not since 7.0. Early 7.1 was pretty "hit & miss" on quite a few things, tho.

Before messing with software, I'd triple check that the battery contacts are super clean, etc. We use deoxit gold on ours.

If it proves to be a code issue, I seem to recall there were hacks around that but I'd consider a Seidio 3000 or other more modern battery that doesn't need coding, before going thru headache of re-installing OS only to possibly wind up back to the same problem. I'd get latest os version, if you do re-install.

Check contacts & "jiggle" battery during install, first, tho. If you haven't already.
    12-09-16 06:59 AM
    I didn't want to spoil the forum with another "ah that thread", so I would just revive this one. Fellow crackers, I need your advice and expertise concerning batteries, especially the aftermarket ones. I noticed that the "original" battery my device came with is just a ridicule of an accumulator. I had plugged off my BB just before I left for work at 7 in the morning, I listened to music for about an hour, I received an email and answered on it, in an hour or so I scrolled down a couple of news pages and I had to make a short call. All in all, at 11 in the morning my telephone was red LED dead. It took just 4 hours of nothingdoingism to empty the battery, and now I am really thinking of purchasing a high capacity accumulator. I would like however a battery that could be accommodated into the original back door. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Art3m3; 02-27-17 at 06:36 AM.
    02-27-17 04:24 AM
    Bummer it drained so fast... I'd predict it's either weak battery or you're in a weak signal area... Of course OS Version, apps, radios, etc are big variables. Turn off NFC, BT, WiFi, etc if you're not using them. GPS also.

That said, laws of chem-econ-physics limit battery dimensions. As with application of any law, you can prioritize one variable but pay for it thru other variables. Stuff more capacity into a battery of the same dimensions and you'll too frequently shorten the "life cycle" variable, or even some variable yet to be identified. Or, price.

Unfortunately, there are so many scheming scammers in the world that it's nearly impossible to identify truly good batteries from truly awful ones, before purchase. And even for quite a while after purchase, in some cases.
    Safer betting on extended batteries that are physically larger but that inevitably adds thick to our wonderfully compact 9900s.

Another possibility is to simply carry a charged spare. Spare JM1s are marvelously compact to cart in pocket. I always carry one, sometimes two, while letting the stand alone spare battery charger keep the spares charged. Swap only takes 2min 40sec including reboot. That's zero to 100% in less than 3 minutes! AND permits powering the 99 without ever plugging a wire into it. True wireless freedom!

Anyway, other than a thick Siedio 3000mAh (genuine 3000!) I haven't purchased batteries lately. It's possible someone has discovered a reliable source to post here...
    02-27-17 01:01 PM
    I think you should count yourself lucky to have got 3 years out of any battery.
    Exactly

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    02-27-17 09:02 PM
    I don't know man I mean I use an aftermarket 1500 MAH Chinese battery with no name on it and I have no problems so I'm with Steve I mean there's got to be some other issue maybe. I'm not aware of codes sorry that's beyond my realm of expertise.
    02-28-17 12:43 AM
    Ok, after reading your posts I decided to conduct an experiment. I am a utility user, so I don't have any useless apps. What I have are SmartMail, flashlight and a CB app. Steve wrote that the drain could be caused by a bad coverage, which is plausible, I am planning to ditch my current carrier for a very long time, but I am a bit lazy about actually doing it. So I set networks to 2g only. Then I changed smartmail receivings to 30 mins. So far the battery is holding ok. I say it renders browsing almost impossible when you need it but assures you are reachable for conventional communication. Still going to order an aftermarket Chinese no name for the high capacity's sake.

Love 9930. Makes you think.
    02-28-17 08:47 AM