I'm limping along with my beloved old 9900 - takes a minute to load Google, doesn't have enough memory left even for Whatsapp - but I still love it because I can make notes, it knows when I've written a phone number, and that trackerball - it allows me to copy, paste and put information from emails into contacts/ texts, nip around the applications. Just brilliant.
    Having tried the Blackberry Classic last year (thought would be the answer to my Blackberry modernisation) - it wasn't.

Anyone know a new Blackberry that is equivalent to the 9900?
    04-06-16 06:20 PM
    Mine works just fine on all the apps you mentioned including the Twitter and Facebook apps. Whatsapp works flawlessly and quickly. When is the last time you did a "Clear Log" history?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-06-16 06:37 PM
    If the Classic didn't do it for you, then you're out of luck

Th Q10, I think, is the closest in spirit. Roughly same size and feel, but the biggest advantages:
    - The keyboard is better!
    - Awesome battery life compared to my 9900
    - More screen real estate
    - Browser is huge improvement
    - Camera is really quite good

They did an awesome job with the touch interface, but I think I marginally prefer the old OS 7 overall. The 9900 also looks and feels slightly more premium. I could live without the toolbelt except when having to select text, then I REALLY miss the trackpad
    04-06-16 10:47 PM
    Both the Q10 and the Classic are similar. But I still prefer the 9900.
    04-07-16 04:50 AM
    >modern
    >9900
    One or the other.

Since the closest phone on the market to the 9900 is the Classic, and you don't like that, then you're out of luck.
    04-07-16 06:06 AM
    Q10 or Classic. The Q10 is closest to the Bold when it comes to form factor and user-replaceable battery. The Classic is larger but has a toolbelt with trackpad.

I modded my black Q10 with the silver frame from a white Q10, so now it's a Q10 "Bold Edition":

Which modern blackberry is like the 9900?-wp_20160213_003.jpg

Posted from my  Q10 via CB10
    04-07-16 07:26 AM
    I have a 9930 (personal) and a Q10 (work) and agree with what everyone has said.

Haven't had a single issue running 10.3 and the icons are very similar to OS7 which was the biggest plus for me.

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.556 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    04-07-16 09:25 AM
    There is no real alternative to 9900. Which is why so many of us use them. Q10 lacks toolbelt. Classic is oversized, overweight & fixed battery but I find its toolbelt provides superior single handed experience over the more compact Q10. I own all three. 9900 is ALways with me. Classic is also usually with me. Those two provide excellent dual carry experience. Especially for simultaneous, one in each hand, use. Q10 lives in desk drawer, battery removed.

I, personally, don't believe BB has yet intended to migrate legacy into BB10. They certainly were reluctant to include all valued features of 9900 into any single BB10 device. Maybe some kind of migration rate strategy in effort to modulate BIS revenue abandonment? Idk.
    04-09-16 07:19 AM
    Classic is oversized? What do you think of the Passport?
    04-09-16 09:33 PM
    I just bought a Bold 9900 for �35 as a backup phone 2 days ago cos my backup z10 was on its last legs and for my pay as u go sim. Love it but man.. Is that screen tiny or what???? Lol. Can't believe that was the norm.

It's really clear to me now why the iPhone and Android killed BlackBerry. It's really hard to call it a smart phone by today's standards after using BlackBerry 10, Android or IOS. Don't get me wrong, it is a smartphone but not smart enough for today's type of usage. I'll give it a few months then buy a cheap classic as a backup. Already seeing them for as low �100+ all over Gumtree.

Posted via the BlackBerry Priv�
    Last edited by naijab0y; 04-10-16 at 02:09 AM.
    04-10-16 12:49 AM
    I just bought a Bold 9900 for �35 as a backup phone 2 days ago cos my backup z10 was on its last legs and for my pay as u go sim. Love it but man.. Is that screen tiny or what???? Lol. Can't believe that was the norm.

It's really clear to me now why the iPhone and Android killed BlackBerry. It's really hard to call it a smart phone by today's standards after using BlackBerry 10, Android or IOS. Don't get me wrong, it is a smartphone but not smart enough for today's type of usage. .....
    Most diehard Bold 9900 users are now happy to accept the limitations of the device and OS7. For myself, the 9900 does exactly what I need really well, it's a communication workhorse, excelling at Email, phone calls, SMS messaging etc. It is therefore more than smart enough for today - but it all depends on individual case needs. I also have a Q10 and an Android slab (which I'm using now and is taking me far too long to type this reply on, even with the Blackberry keyboard installed) but it's invariably the Bold that gets a daily workout.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    04-10-16 08:10 AM
    haha yup half the device all keyboard, but its a pretty nice keyboard

04-10-16 12:32 PM
    [QUOTE=mushroom_daddy;12372468]Most diehard Bold 9900 users are now happy to accept the limitations of the device and OS7. For myself, the 9900 does exactly what I need really well, it's a communication workhorse, excelling at Email, phone calls, SMS messaging etc. /QUOTE]

Perfect. I agree! I wish the BBOS version of BBM could handle Glympse -- failing that a similar stand-alone app would be lovely -- but "communication workhorse" is a great description. Even on my Passport, those chores take up the vast majority of its time.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    04-10-16 01:53 PM
    In my opinion.. It's nowhere near a workhorse like BlackBerry 10. I think it's quite basic but efficient. BlackBerry 10 for me is a lot more of a workhorse.

04-11-16 03:01 AM
    In my opinion.. It's nowhere near a workhorse like BlackBerry 10. I think it's quite basic but efficient. BlackBerry 10 for me is a lot more of a workhorse.
    My Passport SE is my daily driver, and I agree -- It's a stud muffin of a phone. I think nothing beats BlackBerry 10, but I qualified my "workhorse" label for the 9900 by putting "communications" in front. Even with that stipulation, I'd have to say the BlackBerry 10 physical keyboard, with its autocorrect and touch key pop-ups, is my preference over the Bold.

However, I remember the huge sigh of relief when I went back to a Bold after a year of going nuts with a Sammy Galaxy SII. Emails and messaging were SO frustrating with Android and the Android POS touch keyboard! I could really fly with the Bold, and that's what I used until the Z10 came out. It truly was a "workhorse" for me, calendar, emails, and messaging; and I can totally see why the guys in this forum who use a 9900 as their daily driver love it and can't do without it.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    04-13-16 07:07 PM
    My Passport SE is my daily driver, and I agree -- It's a stud muffin of a phone. I think nothing beats BlackBerry 10, but I qualified my "workhorse" label for the 9900 by putting "communications" in front. Even with that stipulation, I'd have to say the BlackBerry 10 physical keyboard, with its autocorrect and touch key pop-ups, is my preference over the Bold.

However, I remember the huge sigh of relief when I went back to a Bold after a year of going nuts with a Sammy Galaxy SII. Emails and messaging were SO frustrating with Android and the Android POS touch keyboard! I could really fly with the Bold, and that's what I used until the Z10 came out. It truly was a "workhorse" for me, calendar, emails, and messaging; and I can totally see why the guys in this forum who use a 9900 as their daily driver love it and can't do without it.

For me, Android on my Priv is better and more of a workhorse. Does loads more, handles them better and is intuitive.

BBOS compared to my Priv in regards to communication is like comparing a motorola v3 razr to a BlackBerry Bold 9900 3/4 years ago. At best it's just basic. Does the basics well and efficient at it but nothing more.

Communication today is so much more than text, email and phone calls.

04-13-16 10:09 PM
    ya'll must have some turtle wifi or slow towers if you can't use your 9900 for the net. Mine is pretty decent and everyday I do a full log clear, history search and memory clean, that all takes about 30 seconds a day + a reboot.

today I toggled between Twitter app and facebook and Mobile Google Translate, several apps open at the same time and the 9900 can handle it, mine anyway.

To the OP: if a Google search/load takes a full minute, there is something wrong. I just did a Google search for "Blackberry" and it was exactly 4 seconds to load the full first page of Google results. My guess is wifi or the device is maybe not cleaned like I mention above.

My home wifi speed is 4-8 mbps and tower speed is over 20 on Speedtest (iphone-Rogers) but I think I read the 9900 is capable only up to 15mbps, which is plenty fast tho

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 04-14-16 at 04:13 AM.
    04-14-16 03:58 AM
    Does the basics well and efficient at it but nothing more.
    Well, uhh... -- that's usually exactly what people mean when they lable something "a workhorse."

Communication today is so much more than text, email and phone calls.
    For me..? Well... Yeah; I forgot BBM.

Just kidding around, naija. I don't use social media for anything, but I understand a lot of people do.

mushroom_daddy likes this.
    04-14-16 07:49 PM
    Well, uhh... -- that's usually exactly what people mean when they lable something "a workhorse."

For me..? Well... Yeah; I forgot BBM.

Just kidding around, naija. I don't use social media for anything, but I understand a lot of people do.

I hear you but I guess the term workhorse is relative to the individuals requirements.

Just the fact that I can't make or receive video calls given how old and widely used video conferencing is nowadays just nullifies the term workhorse when talking about bbos.

Either way, I still love it.

04-15-16 09:44 AM
    I hear you but I guess the term workhorse is relative to the individuals requirements.

Just the fact that I can't make or receive video calls given how old and widely used video conferencing is nowadays just nullifies the term workhorse when talking about bbos.

Either way, I still love it.

One man's work horse is another man's glue.
    04-15-16 11:24 AM
    I hear you but I guess the term workhorse is relative to the individuals requirements... Either way, I still love it.
    Yeah, can't argue with you about individual needs, and ya got me dead to rights on the video conferencing (which I love to use). But, yeah; I do still love the Bold!

04-15-16 11:46 AM
    I have had 9780 > Z10 + 9300 > Z10+Q10
    and then I realized I must use only one phone

For half a year I used the 9900 but now I sold it and bought used Q5 for 70$ ( and found out I really like the clicking sound!

The 9900 is too basic nowadays , you can't even browse it anymore cause some sites are not supported.
    But for simple emails, phone calls, and texting is the best...

But you can't have a lot a features that today consider obvious like : WiFi calls, whattsup calls. Facebook apps+ facebook calneder sync.

The Q5 is my new compromise,
    Here in Israel there are a lot of android apps that really make a lot of services easier to order and use like; gett (taxi app), bus payment, macdonalds order and alike... and so on.

The next new Android phone should be a winner!

Posted via CB10
    04-15-16 01:29 PM
    I'm working my 9900 HARD right now! I am in a bad wifi area in this house so on tower Data, running TuneIn radio app streaming, got Twitter and Facebook apps as well as 2 convos in Whatsapp, also open and checking my data useage on the My Rogers app. Not a single slowdown.

couldnt be happier

Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 04-16-16 at 10:47 PM.
    04-16-16 08:20 PM
    Classic

Posted via CB10
    04-16-16 11:33 PM
    Classic is oversized? What do you think of the Passport?

I carry my Passport when anticipating need for document viewing. It's great for viewing prints in the field, for example. It spends most of its life charging on my desk because of its size, tho.

If carrying a tablet and occupying both hands anyway, my PlayBook provides even more screenestate for document viewing than my Passport. AND I really like using 9900 keyboard & trackpad for single handed input & navigation into PlayBook. Too bad Classic & PlayBook or Passport can't function similarly.
    04-19-16 06:20 AM