Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bricenm
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Mobile Hotspot Data

Hi everybody, I have a 9930 on Verizon, and just got the OTA upgrade to OS 7.1, so now I can use Mobile Hotspot. I don't think I'll need it very often, but if I'm somewhere with no Wifi and want to use my iPad, it may come in handy. I tried to set it up a few minutes ago (just to try it out), and my phone was prompting me to set up a Mobile Hotspot Data Plan through VZW...has anyone done this yet? Is it separate from your standard data plan? If so, how much does it cost? Thanks for the input.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,169 Global Posts

the plan runs $20 a month. As of now there is no work around for hot spot.
    I hope this helps.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

$15 or $20 for 3g mobile hostpost (or tethering plan - also works with hotspot for me) depending on if you happened to be grandfathered in to the old plans. The tethered/hotspot data is counted separately from your phone data.

I get 5GB for $15 (through grandfathered business account).

The norm these days is 2GB for $20.

I tested it yesterday, and when you make or receive a call the data stops, as expected, but devices remain connected to the wifi hotspot and pick right back up when the call is ended. Speed was less than I received via tethering from the USB cable, but that could be the locations I was testing. I'll have to try again tonight.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 01-26-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I have an unlimited data plan (for now, anyway)...been with VZW since '06.
    CrackBerry Addict

Look something called pdanet up and we if it runs on bb. It's a app that turns your phone into a hotspot and if you use the 'hide' feature, Verizon won't know your using your phone as a hotspot and It will look like your phones regular Internet plan. And it's free
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,985 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by conservator13 View Post
    But that does not include tethering or mobile hotspot.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,169 Global Posts

I have not been able to get pdanet to run on the PB.
    I hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Genius

I have unlimited too. Hotspot is an additional charge. 2Gb for $20.
    8330 --> 8530 --> 9550 --> 9930 --> Z10
    CrackBerry Abuser

Hi everybody, I have a 9930 on Verizon, and just got the OTA upgrade to OS 7.1, so now I can use Mobile Hotspot. I don't think I'll need it very often, but if I'm somewhere with no Wifi and want to use my iPad, it may come in handy. I tried to set it up a few minutes ago (just to try it out), and my phone was prompting me to set up a Mobile Hotspot Data Plan through VZW...has anyone done this yet? Is it separate from your standard data plan? If so, how much does it cost? Thanks for the input.
    Verizon charges for the hotspot feature. Its $20 for 2GB of data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    48 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dustanh View Post
    I have unlimited too. Hotspot is an additional charge. 2Gb for $20.
    Unlimited data for phones as well. I say big whooop, 99% of our staff use no more than 200 MB on their phones each month, but for $20 it's no more than the cheapest MB/GB plan would cost. Even the power users barely break 1GB. Has anyone here managed more than 2GB on their phone?

If anyone is interested in tethering, and you've been with VZW for at least a couple of years, you should definitely ask if the $15 5GB plan is available to you. It might have only been offered to businesses, not sure. 250% more data at 25% less cost is a no-brainer. When adding this feature, in my experience, you MUST mention it as the reps will never tell you if it's available to you when you request a tethering plan.
    Last edited by ChilledBB; 01-26-2012 at 04:16 PM.
    Thanked by:
    jordan559 (01-26-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Thanks. Ur way is much better for me more than twice the data for less $$. I will call verizon and ask if thts available to me
    CrackBerry User

The $15 5GB BroadbandAccess tethering plan only applied to phones that had a business data plan that required a BES activation, that phone data plan was $45 a month, for a total of $60 a month. Non-commercial users using a BIS setup were charged $30 for the phone data plan, plus $30 for tethering, so the total still came to $60 a month. (less any applicable corporate discounts for either setup) If you call Verizon now, you can only get the 2GB BroadbandAccess+Hotspot plan added on to whatever phone data plan you have. However, the Mobile Hotspot feature works with the old 5GB BroadbandAccess plan, so if you have that, hang on to it.
    Last edited by atm-berry; 01-27-2012 at 12:34 AM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    PIN
    333ACA2C

Unlimited data plan grandfathered in here too. Hotspot is $20 for 2GB. if you want it, just gotta suck wind and pay for it. I mean really, did we expect Verizon to give it to us for free? It's Verizon...
    I'm on Twitter too: Follow Me @bricenm
    My FlightMemory stats: http://my.flightmemory.com/bricenm
    wolfee48 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    6,454 Global Posts

Perhaps I am off base but 5 GB as a non-business customer is not much if you stream an HD movie which can be up to 4 GB.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,985 Global Posts

Mobile Hotspot is not intended for extended streaming, hence the data caps.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    67,016 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcp007 View Post
    Perhaps I am off base but 5 GB as a non-business customer is not much if you stream an HD movie which can be up to 4 GB.
    Probably why most people won't be streaming hd movies. That should be used at home on your isp.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    6,454 Global Posts

When we travel, it would be nice to watch movie on a flight or on a roadtrip on my PB instead of having to carry movies. I am trying to get time to burn movies to my PB so that this turns out to be a non-issue. However, there are a lot of games that my son plays games on his i4 that are connected via the internet as well as other social media.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Hgouck View Post
    I have not been able to get pdanet to run on the PB.
    Did you try it on your blackberry, I no they have ios app and a android app, I was wondering if they had one for bb
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    67,016 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lax42 View Post
    Did you try it on your blackberry, I no they have ios app and a android app, I was wondering if they had one for bb
    They do but only for a pc or mac and a bb. None for the playbook.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 01-27-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: do
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Default Re: Mobile Hotspot Data

I had pdanet on a 9730 and it worked well with my AT&T account. I now have a 9930 on Verizon and am thinking of doing the same to avoid tethering charges. Have you heard of anyone trying PDAnet with this model and carrier?
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts

Default Re: Mobile Hotspot Data

is mobile hotspot really separate on Verizon? I have a 2gb data plan that I share with an iPhone. There is no option to add mobile hotspot. I've assumed that it was automatically included.

I've been trying to get my iPod Touch to connect to my 9930 for months and cant get it to work. My Playbook connects to my 9900's hotspot but not the iPod.

The iPod Touch sees the connection, connects to it, but it wont send/receive data.