Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default mobile hotspot

I have a blackberry 9900 with blackberry os 7.1.. I set up my mobile hotspot on my blackberry and tried if it works using my galaxy s3.. The galaxy s3 connected to the wifi network but the internet was not working (note: my blackberry data plan is working)... Please I need help!!!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

It depends on wich carrier you are. Some carrier's don't allow you to use your data plan for a mobile hotspot.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by nck20 View Post
    It depends on wich carrier you are. Some carrier's don't allow you to use your data plan for a mobile hotspot.
    ^ This

I'm with Rogers. You need to pay extra to get the hotspot function working.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    ^ This

I'm with Rogers. You need to pay extra to get the hotspot function working.
    Ummm..i don't think that's true.

I'm on Fido and my mobile hotspots works fine with no extra charges or options.

Tethering works fine too.

I believe most, if not all, Canadian carries offers tethering and mobile hotspot free..it just deducts from your data bucket.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by narci View Post
    Ummm..i don't think that's true.

I'm on Fido and my mobile hotspots works fine with no extra charges or options.

Tethering works fine too.

I believe most, if not all, Canadian carries offers tethering and mobile hotspot free..it just deducts from your data bucket.
    not with Rogers. You need to be put on a family plan data package above and beyond what you have. Total joke
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,343 Global Posts

Any data plan of 1GB or more is allowed tethering and hotspot. Flex plans do not count since they start at 500MB.

Quote Originally Posted by ibpluto View Post
    not with Rogers. You need to be put on a family plan data package above and beyond what you have. Total joke
    Rogers Unveils Smartphone Tethering Policy | Rogers RedBoard

"Effective immediately, tethering will continue to be included at no additional charge for Rogers and Fido customers who subscribe to data plans of 1 GB and above (excluding those listed below). "

Hotspot - Rogers Community

"If you already have a data plan that you will not be charged anything extra for enabling the Mobile AP (aka Hotspot). Any usage will be deducted from your data plan on your smartphone plan. Only way you will be charged extra is if you go over your data plan allowance. In addition you typically will need at least a 1GB data plan to be able to use this feature."
    CrackBerry Genius

I have a 1 GB, BES data plan with Rogers, they told me I need an additional plan to make this work when I called them. When I try to turn it on I get a message on my phone that says

!Activation Required
    To use this feature, contact your wireless service provider and subscribe to a mobile Hotspot data plan
    If someone can tell me how to make this work without adding additional plans......I'm all ears
    CrackBerry Genius

Update: Finally got someone at Rogers that had half a brain. Turns out I can't teather because I have a CD/US Data Plan, and there are no provision in the software to allow this and be able to differentiate teathered Data between Cd and US

So for the foreseeable future I will not be able to teather until I drop my Dual data plan and go to a CDN only Data plan