Hi there. I'm not sure what I've done wrong with my bold9900 but something is definitely amiss. I can only add one new podcast (about 250mb file)... theres no room for 2 or 3 even as my memory is full.

I did some googling as I'm not necessarily blackberry illiterate and through my media distribution I see that my 'Other' memory is 4.9GB.

Perhaps this is because I have some options for emails or texts or calendar reminders to never delete? If so... please explain how I can change them and delete all previous ones? Thats just me guessing.

Anyway if I wasn't clear... the issue is that I have no memory space left (and I repeat... I have very little in the way of videos/music/pics etc) and I don't know why! I also don't have a media card, never have. If theres some kind of diagnostic or file I can post to help you diagnose the issue let me know and I'd be glad to oblige asap.

Thanks a lot!
    01-21-13 07:38 PM
    Hi there. I'm not sure what I've done wrong with my bold9900 but something is definitely amiss. I can only add one new podcast (about 250mb file)... theres no room for 2 or 3 even as my memory is full.

I did some googling as I'm not necessarily blackberry illiterate and through my media distribution I see that my 'Other' memory is 4.9GB.

Perhaps this is because I have some options for emails or texts or calendar reminders to never delete? If so... please explain how I can change them and delete all previous ones? Thats just me guessing.

Anyway if I wasn't clear... the issue is that I have no memory space left (and I repeat... I have very little in the way of videos/music/pics etc) and I don't know why! I also don't have a media card, never have. If theres some kind of diagnostic or file I can post to help you diagnose the issue let me know and I'd be glad to oblige asap.

Thanks a lot!
    Looks like your device memory is full.
    You say you don't have much media, but maybe it's something you overlooked or don't recognize.
    Get a media card and save your media there.
    You can find 8/16/32gb cards dirt cheap anywhere online.
    01-21-13 07:51 PM
    Thanks for the reply! I would really like to figure out WHAT is taking up this memory before I resort to a media card... I enjoy having all my media automatically sync when I backup and such so I don't want to go out of my comfort zone if I don't have to.
    01-21-13 08:01 PM
    connect your phone to your PC and open it with windows explorer or the mac equivelent and check over the folders to see if you have installed an app thats saving data on the phone, or a non system folder thats full of temp or useless files
    01-21-13 08:40 PM
    Do you ever clear the memory with memory cleaner? Also, you probably are storing emails forever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-21-13 08:51 PM
    Do you ever clear the memory with memory cleaner? Also, you probably are storing emails forever.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    i store every email and even on my hotmail.com email from 1996 still hasn't hit 4.9gb
    01-21-13 09:57 PM
    connect your phone to your PC and open it with windows explorer or the mac equivelent and check over the folders to see if you have installed an app thats saving data on the phone, or a non system folder thats full of temp or useless files
    I did that... figured I would find something crazy going on with that strat but nope! Everything seemed in order... strange! Something fishy is definitely going on. I took some pictures that I thought might help some of you guys in figuring this out... here are the links.

Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-23-13 at 12:02 PM. Reason: fixed image code
    01-22-13 08:40 AM
    i store every email and even on my hotmail.com email from 1996 still hasn't hit 4.9gb
    I checked and it looks like I have memory cleaner auto enabled etc etc.. I still clocked 'clean' and it took about 10 seconds and didn't really change anything.
    01-22-13 08:40 AM
    ok try this. connect the phone to the mac and then view the phone in the folder tree format (http://i.imgur.com/xTRr66H.png) then search " *.* " so it shows all files, then sort by file size see if there is a few or several large files and where they are stored. something is still stored in the device memory that the DM doens't pick up. make sure you check the folder size of the hidden system folders, as it could be a temp folder thats not clearing cache automatically
    01-22-13 09:35 PM
    ok try this. connect the phone to the mac and then view the phone in the folder tree format (http://i.imgur.com/xTRr66H.png) then search " *.* " so it shows all files, then sort by file size see if there is a few or several large files and where they are stored. something is still stored in the device memory that the DM doens't pick up. make sure you check the folder size of the hidden system folders, as it could be a temp folder thats not clearing cache automatically

Thanks for your suggestion but no dice. Did I misunderstand your ( *. * ) and search the wrong thing??

01-22-13 09:49 PM
    Thanks for your suggestion but no dice. Did I misunderstand your ( *. * ) and search the wrong thing??

imgur: the simple image sharer
    no thats right. whats the total size of all those files?
    01-22-13 11:02 PM
    There's two different things being talked about here. Internal storage, which is the original topic, and application memory, regarding saved emails etc.

OP - Connect the phone to a PC, enable USB sharing, when you get the pop up to access the files, use the explore through Windows Explorer option. Make sure in Tools->Folder Options you choose to view hidden folders. Look through and see if there's anything big stored. You can check the properties of each subfolder, and see what the size is. Could be, while you think you don't have much stored, you simply don't realize how big some of what you've saved is. While there's 8Gb of internal storage, those podcasts can take up a lot of space, especially if you save a lot of them. You can always move the ones you want to save onto the PC, delete them from the phone, and gain storage space.

For the email saving, open your main message folder->Options->Message Display and Options->scroll to the bottom, and set a more reasonable time period for saving

Edit - those "thumbs" are massive. They can be deleted, you can do a search, and remove all that are on your internal storage. They'll rebuild, but hopefully much smaller. The size of those two shown also tell me you have, or have had a lot of files stored.
    01-23-13 09:44 AM
    There's two different things being talked about here. Internal storage, which is the original topic, and application memory, regarding saved emails etc.

OP - Connect the phone to a PC, enable USB sharing, when you get the pop up to access the files, use the explore through Windows Explorer option. Make sure in Tools->Folder Options you choose to view hidden folders. Look through and see if there's anything big stored. You can check the properties of each subfolder, and see what the size is. Could be, while you think you don't have much stored, you simply don't realize how big some of what you've saved is. While there's 8Gb of internal storage, those podcasts can take up a lot of space, especially if you save a lot of them. You can always move the ones you want to save onto the PC, delete them from the phone, and gain storage space.

For the email saving, open your main message folder->Options->Message Display and Options->scroll to the bottom, and set a more reasonable time period for saving

Edit - those "thumbs" are massive. They can be deleted, you can do a search, and remove all that are on your internal storage. They'll rebuild, but hopefully much smaller. The size of those two shown also tell me you have, or have had a lot of files stored.
    The OP has already done that. and btw they are using Mac OS not windows explorer. i was concerned about the .dat files but there has to be something bigger or more that's the issue
    01-23-13 11:37 AM
    I see they're using a Mac. Still should be able to see all the files. The Thumbs alone take almost 1Gb of the <7Gb available. It looks like, for the most part they have simply saved all they can, and will have to archive then delete the old stuff they don't need 24/7.
    01-23-13 11:45 AM
    Can you show "size" on this screen:

01-23-13 12:16 PM
    So the folder size is about 950mb and the 3 big files are 976mb. that still leaves 4gb unspoken for.
    01-23-13 12:43 PM
    Try doing this from the Home screen on the device:

Options > Device > Storage > BB button (left of trackpad) > Repair

if you add together all the files on your device and it doesn't account for a large chunk of your used storage then you probably have lost clusters. Running repair should convert those to files which you can delete... or check out to see where they were from if you have some expertise.
    01-23-13 01:42 PM