hi crackberry universe, i just want to know about the meaning of "H+" ??? is H+ faster than 3G equal or lower? thanks !!
    lakshay_sin likes this.
    09-26-11 01:24 PM
    I think H+ = 3G for 9900... I never saw the 3G icon on my device just EDGE or H+
    So 3G should be equal to H+ again on the 9900 not 9930.
    09-26-11 01:28 PM
    H+ is the ancient and often quoted Aztec symbol for "Not quite 4G but we'll dumb the requirements down to make it 4G although still faster than 3G but not even close to 4G LTE" phrase.

Many a decade passed by until scientists finally cracked the ancient and mysterious writings.

max
    DannyJK and YourMobileGuru like this.
    09-26-11 01:29 PM
    H+ is faster than regular "3G" as we know it. Although real world speeds will vary, on average H+ will be faster than 3G around 90% of the time.
    09-26-11 01:34 PM
    Evolved HSPA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HSPA+ (aka H+) is a GSM technology providing speeds faster than 3G. The ITU (governing body) recently updated their description of "4G" to include H+, but many carriers around the world have decided to not label their network as such, leaving that distinction for forthcoming LTE or WiMAX networks.

That said, most carriers in North America who run HSPA+ networks updated their marketing to label it as 4G.
    09-26-11 01:46 PM
    H+ is 3.5G....or what they call it. If you see G, that is 3G. That is what I see on my android. Of course E for Edge or whatever your provider is.
    09-26-11 01:47 PM
    so u mean H+ is better than 3G?
    09-26-11 01:47 PM
    H+ is faster than regular "3G" as we know it. Although real world speeds will vary, on average H+ will be faster than 3G around 90% of the time.
    So we supposed to have H+, 3G , EDGE, GPRS?

I think it's just a marketing thing... I mean the t-mobile version have a 4G icon, is that faster than H+?? No they both have the 14.4 modem in them. I don't even think the 9900 models of Rogers, Bell, or telus ever shows the 3G icon.
    09-26-11 01:49 PM
    so u mean H+ is better than 3G?
    Yes! H+ is technically 4G. 4G is by definition better than 3G.

Here's an interesting article that might help better understand what's going on in the world of 4G: The Dirty Secret of Today's 4G: It's Not 4G
    09-26-11 01:49 PM
    "High Speed Packet Access" is 3G

"High Speed Packet Access Plus" is 4G.

end.
    xazizx88 likes this.
    09-26-11 01:51 PM
    ok thanks guys!! XD
    09-26-11 01:52 PM
    So we supposed to have H+, 3G , EDGE, GPRS?

I think it's just a marketing thing... I mean the t-mobile version have a 4G icon, is that faster than H+?? No they both have the 14.4 modem in them. I don't even think the 9900 models of Rogers, Bell, or telus ever shows the 3G icon.
    It's all marketing.
    T-Mobile's 4G IS H+. AT&T uses H+ as 4G, but they are in the process of building out LTE (an alternative form of 4G with higher theoretical speeds). LTE is what Version uses for its 4G.

Getting a little confusing
    Last edited by fnord; 09-26-11 at 02:26 PM.
    Crucial_Xtreme likes this.
    09-26-11 01:53 PM
    ...was just gonna say, H+ is 4g...but ppl already answered it.
    09-26-11 03:11 PM
    AT&T and Sprint are slowly moving to LTE. My friend's new Bionic tops out at almost 15 down. My LTE laptop data card averages 25 down. By next summer I'm hoping BB releases an LTE BB. For now though I don't want one because they still need a separate LTE chip which sucks the battery dry although my friend's Bionic can almost make it a full day. I think all the major carriers will be LTE soone enough. T-Mobile sticking with H+ is a huge mistake.
    09-26-11 04:05 PM
    AT&T and Sprint are slowly moving to LTE. My friend's new Bionic tops out at almost 15 down. My LTE laptop data card averages 25 down. By next summer I'm hoping BB releases an LTE BB. For now though I don't want one because they still need a separate LTE chip which sucks the battery dry although my friend's Bionic can almost make it a full day. I think all the major carriers will be LTE soone enough. T-Mobile sticking with H+ is a huge mistake.
    I'm not so sure about that. LTE has a higher theoretical rate but T-Mobile just increased their network to HSPA+ 42Mbps, which isn't too bad, plus it gives much better battery life.
    09-26-11 04:13 PM
    Before rim gives us lte i hope they give us the hotspot feature... That way we could really use the lte speeds, without that i think lte is almost useless on a blackberry...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 04:14 PM
    Well Sprint did say a little something about CDMA REV B.

Which by the way is super freaking fast.
    09-26-11 09:19 PM
    H+ is AT&T and T-Mobile's fake 4G. They lobbied (bribed?) the ITU to let them call it that even though it isn't significantly faster than regular HSPA (3G). This is akin to if Verizon and Sprint had deployed EVDO-B and called it 4G rather than build real 4G networks.

Basically it means your device is operating at it's fastest speed.
    09-27-11 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD