Just curious as to what happens with the wi-Fi calling when I travel abroad?
    I have a US number and if connect to a Wi-Fi connection in Europe, would my calls be free or are there any roaming charges?
    The mobile network would be disabled, I would be using the Wi-Fi connection exclusevly.

Thank you for any input you may have...
    01-30-12 01:45 PM
    Wi-Fi calling directly connects to your carrier, and should disregard your physical location.
    I've used my T-Mobile US service & UMA/Wi-Fi Calling to get free calling in Canada quite often. This should work just the same if you are in a dead cell-zone, just out of your national service area, or even on an ISP in Europe/Asia/Africa.

I have dealt with some poor internet connections (ie. weak internet connections that could receive some data service but not actually allow calls to be placed) while traveling. For this reason I'd advise you not to absolutely rely on the service, but know that if you have a good signal from the router, and a solid broadband connection: Wi-Fi calling can save you hundreds within just a couple hours of international phone calls.

PS - I typically disable the "Mobile Network" connection, and change my settings to Prompt or Not carry data while roaming to prevent my phone from making calls/data transfers on international 'roaming' service.
    01-30-12 02:12 PM
    You need to check with your carrier regarding this. Since the UMA/wifi calling is licensed to one carrier per country, the calls are still fed through the foreign carrier and roaming charges are applied.

I have the option of wifi calling with Rogers here in Canada, and depending on the plan I pick the abilities and fees change. For example, $5 per month gives me the wifi feature, but it uses the cellular minutes, $10 may give free local calling, then there are $25-$45 plans, with the more expensive plans offering better roaming rates when away.
    01-30-12 02:22 PM
    If you are a TMo USA customer then when abroad you can call back to the US with NO roaming charges. I have done soe from all over the world as long as I could get a good internet connection. Calling non-US numbers is like making an international call from the US while on UMA.
    01-31-12 02:01 AM
    my 2 cents.. If your Blackberry is unlocked you can use local sim cards for local calls and there are always those cards with cheap pricing for calls from local number to the country you want.. so this combination is a great way to save money while traveling with your Blackberry..
    01-31-12 11:54 AM
    01-31-12 12:18 PM
    other than advertising... does this work?

I am getting tired of downloading alleged sip clinets, voip apps that take $10 and dont do anything other than waste my time..

I am looking for a wifi Voip (ie no cell connection) calling solution for the 9930

02-24-12 02:45 PM
    This work pretty well never letted me down rates are really low and it also perform call back calls and sms and they give you a promo code to try it

MO call
    02-24-12 02:56 PM
    I use orange mobile from the UK on NY last month on UMA- No roaming fee, the phone time zones back to 'UK time' and the Network,in NYC, is ORANGE.

It's totally free.
    My mother in law has tmobile USA, and when in London, same for Free!! Bang, straight to UMA.

In both case, losing the mobile signal helps...

If My Orange handset is registered with AT&T when in a wifi zone, it will not switch to uma unless you turn mobile off for a second etc.

It's logical and simple.
    02-24-12 05:34 PM
    There is an Android app for Skype that has the phone application, but no video. I plan to try it a little later this evening. I think that i can access using my existing PC Skype account.
    02-24-12 07:31 PM
    You need to check with your carrier regarding this. Since the UMA/wifi calling is licensed to one carrier per country, the calls are still fed through the foreign carrier and roaming charges are applied.

I have the option of wifi calling with Rogers here in Canada, and depending on the plan I pick the abilities and fees change. For example, $5 per month gives me the wifi feature, but it uses the cellular minutes, $10 may give free local calling, then there are $25-$45 plans, with the more expensive plans offering better roaming rates when away.
    Robbers are thieves...they charge you for anything they can...

T-mo and many other US carriers do not charge for WiFi calling anywhere you can connect to WiFi....
    02-24-12 11:35 PM
    Thanks but that is not true VoIP as it requires a gateway call..what is needed is a non-UMA VoIP/wifi app

This work pretty well never letted me down rates are really low and it also perform call back calls and sms and they give you a promo code to try it

MO call
    02-25-12 08:24 AM
    good luck it should work.. but this discussion is about wifi calls for a blackberry..skype for android and for iphone/ipad already does this.

There is an Android app for Skype that has the phone application, but no video. I plan to try it a little later this evening. I think that i can access using my existing PC Skype account.
    02-25-12 08:25 AM
    Sorry - I should have said that the Skype that I was refering to is a converted android app for my Playbook. I plan to use it with my Playbook in our apartment in Paris (using WiFi) and at the various hotspots throughout the city.
    02-25-12 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD