hello everyone, just need some advice if poss, my freinds bb9900 has gone on the missing, can blackberry or the network provider wipe all the data from there end? she hasn't signed up with blackberry desktop manager. Thanks
    10-17-12 03:13 AM
    Thousands of cell phones are lost or stolen every day. Neither the cell phone makers or carriers are going to do much to help with recovery or protecting your data. The built in software is her best bet but is does not sound like your friend took advantage of either. Imagine the resources that it would take to verify ownership and remotely wipe data from stolen or lost devices. They give us the tools, we just got to take advantage.

She is out of luck. Tell her to move on and learn from this lesson.
    10-17-12 03:56 AM
    Thousands of cell phones are lost or stolen every day. Neither the cell phone makers or carriers are going to do much to help with recovery or protecting your data. The built in software is her best bet but is does not sound like your friend took advantage of either. Imagine the resources that it would take to verify ownership and remotely wipe data from stolen or lost devices. They give us the tools, we just got to take advantage.

She is out of luck. Tell her to move on and learn from this lesson.
    hello there thanks for your reply, she has a keypad password lock on the phone but is still worried that someone could take the phone somewhere and have the keypad lock code removed in some back street shop, whats the chances of someone being able to do that? i know other makes of phones like nokia that can be have the keypad lock code taken away really easy but not sure secure bb's are? cheers
    10-17-12 04:06 AM
    The BlackBerry Protect is installed on the device?
    10-17-12 04:59 AM
    The BlackBerry Protect is installed on the device?
    hey, it has the blackberry id protect? thanks
    10-17-12 05:21 AM
    If she has the keyboard locked, I would say there is little to worry about. 99.9% chances are they just want the phone so they will do a wipe and sell or use it.
    10-17-12 05:36 AM
    I agree if she set a password on the phone there is likely less chance the person who took it can access the data on the blackberry because even if you plug it on the computer (unless she didn't set a password for accessing the device's media card through USB connection) it will still prompt to enter the passcode to access the files. But yeah the blackberry protect is a "must do" when owning a blackberry. It safes every single bit of your data. Lets just hope there's nothing really important and that the person wouldn't risk doing a bad thing to the phone.
    mavrou likes this.
    10-17-12 05:43 AM
    if she set up blackberry protect on her phone you can log on to your computer, log into blackberry protect using your blackberry id and password online (google blackberry protect) and remotely wipe the device, you can also lock it, display a custom message on the screen (maybe a reward message and a number to call would encourage the return of it) or make it play loud noises (i would personally do this a few times to annoy the theif :L)
    mavrou likes this.
    10-17-12 06:20 AM
    If it was connected to BB Protect you could remotely wipe the device and if you had GPS turned on too, you could have located the device location on maps.
    mavrou likes this.
    10-17-12 10:09 AM
    All this talk of BB protect...

It's not the golden bullet people think.

If the SIM is changed then protect won't work till its signed back on via the phone.
    If the SIM is changed none of the BB Protect functions will work (wipe, locate etc)
    If the phone is off the network then protect won't work (Though I believe commands are queued till it back on, though I'm not sure what the TTL is on such commands.

BB Protect has gone 'mad' on a number of people phones who have used it (wiped without any command issued) moved to a new phone and wouldn't let them recover what it had backed up and wiped its self leaving them with no data at all.

You don't need GPS to be on on the phone - it just need to be enabled through protect (at setup time)

At the end of the day the phone and the data is gone - if there was a memory card installed and was not encrypted then that's been compromised by now - it will get formatted and re-used anyway.
    The phone will be wiped and sold or used - easiest thing to do is add the PIN to BBM and see what happens!

Even if you call the police and say my phone is 'here' they wil 99% of the time have no interest in helping you whatsoever. (it depends how the phone was lost/stolen though.)

Long as you contact your network provider and ask them to bar the SIM and IMIE (If they will) that should stop it being used on net within the EU, carriers can request PIN blocks from RIM but I've *never* known one to actually do that (even though it will stop the phone being used on BI/ES services)

Sorry.
    mavrou likes this.
    10-17-12 12:37 PM
    I lost my BB and even though it was password protected, and had BB Protect, I called T-Mobile, my provider and they inactivated the sim card. I tried to used BB Protect but the phone has already shut down since whomever found it, tried unsuccessfully to unlock it and the phone automatically wiped itself. The only worry is the micro sd card and the pictures I had on it was at risk, but there were only family pictures on the card.

Call your provider to make sure they inactivate your phone and sim card.
    mavrou likes this.
    10-17-12 01:21 PM
    Hey thanks everyone for all your replys, she has logged in to blackberry protect using blackberry I'd but when you look under list of devices all it says is default and when you hover over 'wipe data' it doesn't do anything?
    10-18-12 05:59 AM
    i wpould guess that she either didnt set it up on blackberry protect properly or the phones been turned off/is in doors where signal cant get to it. if its the latter the phone should wipe when turned back on or moved outside. just call the carrier network and get the phone barred so its useless to sell in the current country
    10-18-12 07:18 AM
    i wpould guess that she either didnt set it up on blackberry protect properly or the phones been turned off/is in doors where signal cant get to it. if its the latter the phone should wipe when turned back on or moved outside. just call the carrier network and get the phone barred so its useless to sell in the current country
    Hey so blackberry protect Is useless If the phone is turned off?
    10-18-12 07:51 AM
    Everything from what I've read on this thread is pretty accurate, as for the Bold 9900, that device is long gone, sorry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-18-12 08:01 AM
    yes because the phone isnt turned on to recieve the signal from blackberry protect, you cant wipe something thats effectively dead hardware until its turned on.
    10-18-12 09:27 AM
    Ok thanks for your help on this everyone
    10-20-12 04:40 AM