My son lost his Moto X and I bought him a 9900. $22, looks brand new. Works perfectly, from what I can tell. That said, he needs an android device for some of the apps he runs for school (THAT would have been nice to know!) and I figured, why not? I used to love my work BlackBerry! I'll keep it!

Ew.

I want to like it. I love the size and form factor, I love the keyboard (best thing about a BB) and the screen is lovely and sharp, if a little small.

What can't I do?

1.) Navigate easily still kinda new to town and I miss Google, inaccuracies and all. The built in app is bloody awful. Google Maps crashes the browser.

2.) Get into my ProtonMail account. No app, never will be, and the browser is lacking security features their code needs.

3.) Use a 64GB card. Okay, yeah. Now I am just whining. I don't really need a 64GB card.

So those 2 things. As I am just getting started I haven't dug too deeply, but thought I'd start here with noob questions. Anyone have ideas about #1 and #2 above?
    09-26-16 03:00 PM
    Just wondering why you would get an older OS based device. You would have had better luck purchasing a BB10 OS device.

Having said that, if he had a previous Android device, and liked it ... why didn't you just buy him a cheap Android device. It is my understanding (sorry, I don't use Android), that these devices are cheap to come by. So why switch him to the out-dated BBOS. If it had to be a BlackBerry, should have went with the BB10 OS. If it didn't have to be BlackBerry, you should have went with another Android device.

Good news though ... if it is in MINT condition, like you said it was, you should sell it to Kim Kardashian because she was looking hard to find the old BlackBerry Bold devices and it seems that stock is running out.
    09-26-16 03:11 PM
    Sorry but a 9900 is five years old, and running an OS that was pretty much EOL the day BlackBerry announced work on the "new" (now also EOL BB10 os).

#1 Use BlackBerry maps
    #2 Try a 3rd party browser

Many here still use a 9900 or another BBOS device... and can't live without them. But it's much harder to go back to BBOS once you have gotten use to a more modern device (hardware and software) and if you rely on some apps that BBOS just won't support.
    09-26-16 03:12 PM
    That said, he needs an android device for some of the apps he runs for school
    Your son _needs_... an Android device... for school.

OK... what apps would those be?

The gripes you mention; sure, I sympathize -- although it's my understanding you can in fact get Google maps up and running for the Bold.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    09-26-16 05:04 PM
    My son lost his Moto X and I bought him a 9900. $22, looks brand new. Works perfectly, from what I can tell. That said, he needs an android device for some of the apps he runs for school (THAT would have been nice to know!) and I figured, why not? I used to love my work BlackBerry! I'll keep it!

Ew.

I want to like it. I love the size and form factor, I love the keyboard (best thing about a BB) and the screen is lovely and sharp, if a little small.

What can't I do?

09-26-16 05:07 PM
    I have an iphone sitting around here somehwere, oh ya, here it is sitting under some cables and stuff......I think the battery was 30% 2 days ago, don't really want to bother checking it or put the SIM card back into it thanks, having too much fun with all the essential apps that still work.

Attached Thumbnails Lost an Android phone, bought a Bold 9900, and...um, ew.-tapaupload0.jpg  
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 05:22 PM

Ew.

What can't I do?

1.) Navigate easily still kinda new to town and I miss Google, inaccuracies and all. The built in app is bloody awful. Google Maps crashes the browser.

2.) Get into my ProtonMail account. No app, never will be, and the browser is lacking security features their code needs.

3.) Use a 64GB card. Okay, yeah. Now I am just whining. I don't really need a 64GB card.

So those 2 things. As I am just getting started I haven't dug too deeply, but thought I'd start here with noob questions. Anyone have ideas about #1 and #2 above?
    I think there is a working version of the BBOS Google Maps app floating around out there. There are also a couple of good GPS nav apps still available in BlackBerry World, though you may have to pay for them.

As for ProtonMail, it is currently not accessible on legacy BlackBerry devices. If they eventually enable IMAP support then it should work.

There is still a small but enthusiastic group of Bold 9900/9930 users out there that enjoy using that iconic device. If you really want to use yours and get the most out of it there are many helpful threads here in the CB forums that you should spend some time reading.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-26-16 05:30 PM
    Yeah a Moto X to 9900 is a tough sell.

On the GPS / nav, I got ran out to a cornfield today with the Q10's BlackBerry maps, the android had the location about 200 ft north (behind in pic) in the cornfield.

Maybe accurate enough for a helicopter rescue, but neither work for precision.

Check the Moto G or E for a cheap replacement.

Q10 SQN100-2 10.3.2.2813 / 9930 7.1.0.1066
    Attachment 409062
    09-26-16 05:39 PM
    There is still a small but enthusiastic group of Bold 9900/9930 users out there that enjoy using that iconic device. If you really want to use yours and get the most out of it there are many helpful threads here in the CB forums that you should spend some time reading.
    Nicely done, sir.

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    schuylercat and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-26-16 06:25 PM

Ew.

What can't I do?

For real????? It's a BB7 phone. It was $22. What did you expect? This is the same complaint we here from people who went to iPhone and Android and tried to compare.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 06:39 PM
    Should've just went with a BlackBerry Q10 or Q5. 9900/30 is a great phone but really outdated...

Posted via CB10
    09-26-16 07:43 PM
    I don't think anyone here would deny that the Bold 9900 is dated. It's from 2011. It's aged surprisingly gracefully, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know. If you're not both technically-inclined and willing to live with numerous shortcomings, you're not going to enjoy it at all.

However, if you like the size, keyboard, trackpad, menu-driven interface, screen that you can actually read outside, etc., etc., then you put up with the shortcomings.

A lot of people have had trouble with Google Maps. You may or may not be able to get it working.

You might try LogicMail. It *might* work with ProtonMail. It's unlikely, but worth a few minutes time to try. Scratch that. I misread Newfangled's comment about IMAP. I see from ProtonMail's site that it has to be accessed through the Browser.

AFAIK, 32GB is the limit for the SD card. Who could possibly need more? You're not going to fill it with sharp, crisp photos.
    Last edited by Shuswap; 09-26-16 at 10:44 PM.
    schuylercat and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-26-16 09:23 PM
    I don't think anyone here would deny that the Bold 9900 is dated. It's from 2011. It's aged surprisingly gracefully, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I know. If you're not both technically-inclined and willing to live with numerous shortcomings, you're not going to enjoy it at all.
    All true. You gotta approach the Bold the way you would, say, flying an old warbird. It's either a lot of fun or too much trouble.

I love my Passport SE, and if I had to choose only one device, that'd be it -- but I use the Bold almost every day for one thing or another, and I love its elegant form factor, ruggedness, swappable battery, and OS.

I certainly relate to the members of the small but happy cadre of Bold enthusiasts!

Passport SE: All the snooty prestige of a device with a precious metal in the name at less than half the price!
    09-26-16 09:45 PM
    What did you expect from a $22 phone, let alone $22 phone that was getting long in the tooth when it was new?

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 10:08 PM
    What did you expect from a $22 phone, let alone $22 phone that was getting long in the tooth when it was new?

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-26-16 10:40 PM

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    Hear here!

Time to close this one up. Everything the OP needs to know - if indeed really wants to make the Bold work - can be discussed in the Resurgence thread or any number of others dedicated to the 99s.

Next.
    09-27-16 12:09 AM
    Hit the nail on the head. I knew nothing about the devices, found 20 or so BB 9900's out there in the $75-$90 range, and jumped at this one when it popped up.

When I say I know nothing, I mean nothing at all. Zero. I had no expectations going in, and for $22 it's a disposable option. Versions, models...I simply didn't know. Now I know! I'll reach out to Kim later - maybe I can make an extra ten buck on this one selling it.

All that said: I think I might start looking up the BB10 OS and start looking up devices. As I mentioned, I love the form factor and size, and mostly the keyboard. I'm not married to Android, and don't have anything with an Apple logo on it, so here I go. Thanks!
    David Tyler and Ursus Rufus like this.
    09-27-16 10:27 AM
    Agreed.
    09-27-16 10:27 AM
    Yep. This has been a "live and learn" sort of deal for me. Only out $22, and can likely sell it for more than that up here. Thanks!
    09-27-16 10:30 AM
    Yep - I'm getting a lot of that, and I need to dive in. I'm only out $22, and can make that back selling this one. The Moto X he lost was mine before I went with an LG G3 a while back - great phones, but I grabbed this 9900 on the cheap and loved the feel of it. I think I might take a shot at the BB10 capable devices. I found a "pristine" condition Q10 for $90 this morning. Gone already. Never know!

Thanks.
    09-27-16 10:32 AM
    Okay. Here. I'll pay attention to you, asswipe. You feel better?

Pretty basic noob questions, answered by a few helpful folks. Was that so hard?

Moving along.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-27-16 10:34 AM
    Okay. Here. I'll pay attention to you, asswipe. You feel better?

Pretty basic noob questions, answered by a few helpful folks. Was that so hard?

Moving along.
    I apologise to you.

As I explained in Ralph's 9900 Resurgence thread, I am 99% of the time one of those generally happier nicer & more supportive 9900 people.

Something about the (what I felt to be gratuitous & provoking) "Ew" in the title of this thread just rubbed me the wrong way.

But that's no excuse. Hence, this Mea Culpa.

Hope there's no hard feelings.

Good luck with your BlackBerry adventures.

anon(8063781) likes this.
    09-27-16 03:34 PM
    I apologise to you... Hope there's no hard feelings... Good luck with your BlackBerry adventures.
    Good on ya, UR.

Also, OP, if my questioning your son's need for Android apps egged anyone on, I apologize, as well.

We in the Bold Brigade are happy to help you get the most out of your "Old 99!"

Ursus Rufus likes this.
    09-27-16 06:23 PM
    My 2015 Ford truck was stolen, I replaced it with a horse a buggy, Holy crap! What a difference.
    09-27-16 08:22 PM
    I apologise to you.

As I explained in Ralph's 9900 Resurgence thread, I am 99% of the time one of those generally happier nicer & more supportive 9900 people.

Something about the (what I felt to be gratuitous & provoking) "Ew" in the title of this thread just rubbed me the wrong way.

But that's no excuse. Hence, this Mea Culpa.

Hope there's no hard feelings.

Good luck with your BlackBerry adventures.

You're a decent human being UR. Well done.

Is it weird if that Dawson pic made me feel REALLY old? hahaha
    09-27-16 11:03 PM
32 12