This is quite a noob question sorry in advance, however on my 9700 when I used the lock button (top left of phone) and would want to unlock it, it would always prompt to enter the password. I just set my 9900 to have a password, but it doesn't prompt to enter the password when I use the lock button on the top of the phone. Is there any way to fix that?
    09-29-11 11:17 PM
    The button on the top of the 9900 only basically puts your phone in standby mode. For it to lock with the password, you have to either 1) Manually set it to password lock from the menu, 2) Put it in a holster/pouch etc. or 3) Set your convenience key to password lock your phone.
    09-30-11 12:08 AM
    yes, top button functions as a keylock wanabe.

however, u can set password time to 1 min.
    09-30-11 12:28 AM
    I never understood the use of standby mode...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 12:58 AM
    Follow the link in my signature to a guide on Lock/Password Lock/Un-Lock functionality.

EDIT: Here's the link in case you're on the mobile site…

How to Lock/Password-Lock/Unlock with newer OS

Any reference to the Top Left Key on previous devices can be substituted for the 99xx's single Top Key.
    Last edited by elite1; 09-30-11 at 05:12 AM.
    wingsung likes this.
    09-30-11 05:08 AM
    If you have "Launch by Typing" set to applications shortcuts, tapping the "K" button will instantly lock your device.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 10-02-11 at 07:15 PM. Reason: clarification
    wingsung likes this.
    09-30-11 11:17 PM
    If you have "Launch by Typing" set to applications shortcuts, pressing K will instantly lock your device.
    Yes but only if you have a Password enabled.
    10-01-11 01:29 AM
    Yes but only if you have a Password enabled.
    Lol, isn't it obvious that's what the OP needs?

You can also lock the keyboard by holding button A down.

10-01-11 01:32 AM
    Lol, isn't it obvious that's what the OP needs?

Yes but what's obvious to you or me won't be obvious to everyone. I was trying to clarify before a newbie posted, "But hey K doesn't lock mine!"

I could have said so, but honestly I wrote that post at a red light!

Anyway, if you look at my old thread I linked a few posts up you'll see I do in fact grasp these concepts�
    10-01-11 02:36 AM
    Yes but what's obvious to you or me won't be obvious to everyone. I was trying to clarify before a newbie posted, "But hey K doesn't lock mine!"

I could have said so, but honestly I wrote that post at a red light!

Anyway, if you look at my old thread I linked a few posts up you'll see I do in fact grasp these concepts�
    Was only joking man, sorry.

10-01-11 02:49 AM
    Sorry wasn't trying to be over-serious myself!

It's 1am here… I'm tired and maybe a little communications-impaired apparently!
    10-01-11 03:04 AM
    Sorry wasn't trying to be over-serious myself!

It's 1am here… I'm tired and maybe a little communications-impaired apparently!
    You do have a point, I was directly responding to the OP but for anyone looking for a solution I should have included that somewhat important nugget.

So, I'll post this to cover all the bases:

For anyone wanting to use a hardware key to lock their 99xx with a password and not wanting to sacrifice convience keys or paying for an app to swap functionality:

• Change your keyboard launch settings to Applications by clicking the BB/menu key from homescreen, selection Options (scroll or simply press "O" with the menu open), then change Launch by Typing to "Application Shortcuts".
    • Set your password by going to Options -> Security -> Password. If you did the previous instruction already, press "O" on homescreen for Options.
    • Once your password is set, press "K" on homescreen to lock with password. You can press and hold the "A" key briefly to lock keyboard/touchscreen, but this does not lock your device.
    • If you don't carry your device in a case, use "K" to password lock and THEN use the lock button on top to disable your keyboard - you don't want your keyboard active in your pocket, there have been accidental device wipes after random keypresses equaled 10 unlock attempts.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 10-02-11 at 07:21 PM. Reason: clarification
    10-01-11 05:31 PM
    Great little guide for someone who didn't know.
    And even for someone who does, your last point is still a great tip that I don't remember hearing before.

I'd correct one minor thing:
    Don't press A; hold down A.

And one more shortcut if you're newer to OS6 or OS7:
    From Home Screen, click O or Options icon, then just type "pass" and select Password.
    (A lot of people don't realize you can type-to-search in Options.).
    10-01-11 06:04 PM
    Awesome tips here. Even for non noobs

10-01-11 07:42 PM
    And even for someone who does, your last point is still a great tip that I don't remember hearing before.

From Home Screen, click O or Options icon, then just type "pass" and select Password.
    Thank you guys for your awesome tips/help. Yes I'm new to the boards and also new to OS7. Was using OS5 on my 9700 before hand. Still slowly getting familiar with the phone and personlizing it.
    10-01-11 08:30 PM
    My apologies if I missed this one in the previous posts, but if you do use a case or holster with the sleeper magnet, in the password screen within options, you can set to lock upon holstering. As soon as you pop in the case, its pw protected.
    10-01-11 08:32 PM

Good point - hold A for lock screen, otherwise tapping A brings up contacts.
    10-01-11 08:41 PM
    Good point - hold A for lock screen, otherwise tapping A brings up contacts.
    Exactly!
    (That's why I almost always say "click" or "hold" and try to avoid using "press" in my posts.)

If you have a sec, you might want to edit your original post and just correct that, in case someone finds it and doesn't read the rest of this thread.
    10-02-11 01:44 PM
    I heard you can also map the convenience key to lock the device?
    10-02-11 01:58 PM
    Exactly!
    (That's why I almost always say "click" or "hold" and try to avoid using "press" in my posts.)

If you have a sec, you might want to edit your original post and just correct that, in case someone finds it and doesn't read the rest of this thread.
    Good idea. Although, I think I'm leaving it with "press" because while editing it my wife asked what I was up to, and got a quzzical look when I explained what I was doing. "How would I click and tap on the keyboard?" So, maybe better left with press.

I heard you can also map the convenience key to lock the device?
    Correct, but only if you have password set.
    10-02-11 07:41 PM

I didn't know that ! (about the A key I mean) thanks for letting folks (like me) know
    10-03-11 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD