Just bought a new sim free bold 9900, had a lot of issues within the first 2 days.
    All I did was install some apps from app world.
    I was facing battery drain, heating, screen flickering, non reponsiveness during charging, that bugger processing timer showing up repeatedly.

Took it to the service center and they did a security wipe.
    Phone works good now but some factory build apps are missing- especially the digital compass utilising the magnetometer.

I was unable to find it for download at the app store.
    I checked in device search, applications list, all folders, home screen and hidden icons. It is nowhere.

Please let me know how to get it back again.
    Do i need to replace my phone?

Device info

My carrier: I'm using a sim from Airtel (India)

Model info and OS version: Bold 9900, OS 7.0 Bundle 1346 (v7.0.0.261 platform 5.0.0.464)

Apps and free space:
    Post the security wipe I have not installed any other apps, only restored my contacts, memos, call logs, sms history and built in media storage.
    I have 196 MB of free application storage right now and 6GB free built in media storage.

I really loved that compass!!

09-03-11 11:04 AM
    You are able to delete built in 0S 7 apps (some of them anyways) if you want...the place you took it to probably also manually deleted built in apps. If you reinstall the OS you will get them back.
    09-03-11 11:06 AM
    Ok. Now where exactly do I reinstall/download the OS from?
    09-03-11 11:14 AM
    You can get it from your mobile carriers site or from BlackBerry's site. If you need help reinstalling I suggest you call tech support for your mobile carrier. It can be kinda difficult if you have never done it before.
    09-03-11 11:22 AM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Before loading a non-carrier specific OS you should read the Blackberry 101 documentation loacted in this forum.
    Last edited by mhw100; 09-03-11 at 11:51 AM.
    09-03-11 11:37 AM
    I have done it before, on my old blackberrys, from the BB site itself. But I cannot find any link for OS 7 download/ install there. As for the carrier, they do not have anything at present.

Do you know of any OS 7 download link on the BB site?
    09-03-11 11:38 AM
    You could also try BlackBerry Desktop Manager, click Applications and see if it is in the list and reinstall it. If not then reinstll the OS as mentioned before.
    09-03-11 11:39 AM

I usually google a string like: blackberry device software which brings you to the blackberry site with a list of the carriers. Fro there choose say Rogers in Canada and it will let you download .261.

09-03-11 11:50 AM
    you could also try refreshing the "Core Apps" as a last resort before reinstalling the OS. Here is a link that shows how to do it.

KB28038-BlackBerry App World hangs after clicking My World or BIS Email Setup will not connect after switching to a BlackBerry 7 smartphone
    09-03-11 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD