"memory leak"... a memory leak is when the device runs out of memory because the memory keeps dropping until there is no more left. losing 50mb while you still have 50mb remaining doesn't necessarily mean it's a leak.
    01-18-13 10:25 AM
    losing 50mb while you still have 50mb remaining doesn't necessarily mean it's a leak.
    It does... that missing 50MB is the memory leak.
    01-18-13 10:40 AM
    It does... that missing 50MB is the memory leak.
    No... a leak implies that it will keep leaking until there is no more to leak from. If 50MB drops, it's possible that it's used for cache or whatever for an app. Look at the stats in Windows' task manager if you don't believe me. The "free memory" also drops the longer you stay in Windows...
    01-18-13 10:49 AM
    Playbook BlackBerry
    01-18-13 10:52 AM
    No... a leak implies that it will keep leaking until there is no more to leak from. If 50MB drops, it's possible that it's used for cache or whatever for an app.
    Memory leak is anything that leaks from your free memory during use, and doesn't automatically recover while idle until a battery pull is done.
    My 'leak' is usually between 0MB and 1MB which is nothing really. 50MB would really have me worried!

01-18-13 11:06 AM
    Memory leak is anything that leaks from your free memory during use, and doesn't automatically recover while idle until a battery pull is done.
    My 'leak' is usually between 0MB and 1MB which is nothing really. 50MB would really have me worried!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/19/epuhabyv.jpg
    By the very definition of leak, a leak would mean that it would keep on leaking... not just stop at 50MB or 1MB. If an app were to say consume 50MB it is firstly a poorly written app. If it continues to consume your remaining memory until a reboot is required then it is a leak.
    01-18-13 11:12 AM
    Is the wake up from stand by screen bug fixed?
    Sm tym it takes a min to get the display lights on once the bb is locked
    01-18-13 11:34 AM
    By the very definition of leak, a leak would mean that it would keep on leaking... not just stop at 50MB or 1MB. If an app were to say consume 50MB it is firstly a poorly written app. If it continues to consume your remaining memory until a reboot is required then it is a leak.
    if that so, we shouldnt say if somebody has a big memory leak of not, because as you said, leak means no more memory left...anyway i think memory leak is when you loose memory(because of an app, or whatever) and you dont regain it back...doesnt have to be the full memory....
    so maybe Phill has a point....correct me if im wrong
    Deanig_12 likes this.
    01-18-13 12:14 PM
    I'm facing same problem with this update as well I can't find 2G only 3G and 2G+3G anybody have solution ??? the only update I can find the 2G is OS 7.1.0.342
    01-18-13 12:34 PM
    I'm facing same problem with this update as well I can't find 2G only 3G and 2G+3G anybody have solution ??? the only update I can find the 2G is OS 7.1.0.342
    Many carriers are blocking this option on newer OS builds. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it, except downgrade to the last OS version it was still available on.
    01-18-13 12:40 PM
    Any chance of this one being leaked any time soon ???
    That's 7.1.0.682.
    01-18-13 12:48 PM
    My 50MB leak is just within 24 hours after I did the OS installation. It does not stop at 50MB but continues to lose memory until I do a reset or a battery pull. Since my restart this morning, around 10AM, I have lost 6MB after about 4 hours.

The question is, why do i lose about 50MB in 24 hours while Phill loses only 0.3MB in 17 hours? (as per screen shot above). Does wiping the phone before OS installation prevent the huge memory loss while it is not unavoidable? or is it just the apps that I use regularly - BeBuzz, BeWeather, Hookt messenger, Facebook, BBM. There are other apps installed but they are not used on a regular basis.
    01-18-13 12:49 PM
    Interesting topic. I have never updated my O.S. other than through the regulat channel. I used the update function on my phone, a few weeks ago.

I have Vodafone NL, so can I use this O.S. as well? Are there any risks? (Since this is the official OS, I would say there isn't much of a risk). On the other hand, if it's official, why isn't it available for me yet? I am at version 7.1.0.714, so it feels as if I'm far behind :-)

The main reason for an upgrade for me would be if the Google calendar sync is improved. Because GooSync doesn't work anymore, I switched to "normal" calendar sync, and a lot of entries were duplicated. Also I cannot see/sync my shared calendars anymore. Would be nice if this was fixed in this version already.

But well, my main question is, in fact: is this safe?

(And regarding the installation guide: what is ment by installint the OS to my PC? Do I have an application on my PC after that, which could upgrade my BB?)
    01-18-13 12:51 PM
    If the OS won't be detected by apploader, you need to delete vendor.xml files that you couldn't find. Ensure that "show hidden and system files", "hide protected system files" and "hide known file name extensions/types" are checked/unchecked to find them.

Use Everything Portable fron c|net download.com to find them, but ensure the option to view hidden/protected system files is checked to show them. I use it to rid anything that prevents me from loading it up.
    01-18-13 12:51 PM
    Is the wake up from stand by screen bug fixed?
    Sm tym it takes a min to get the display lights on once the bb is locked
    Anyone?
    01-18-13 01:03 PM
    Brian, download "vendelete" it gets rid of all traces of the vendor files without all that messing about.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 01:06 PM
    Anyone?
    I've never experienced that problem Slasher. No problem with this latest OS either.
    01-18-13 01:17 PM
    That's 7.1.0.682.
    No Brian... that's 7.1.0.862
    01-18-13 01:34 PM
    No Brian... that's 7.1.0.862
    Daamn! My vision must've been blurry and my dumbfunded way of not reading twice.
    01-18-13 01:38 PM
    Brian, download "vendelete" it gets rid of all traces of the vendor files without all that messing about.Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Nearly forgot about that. I'll be grabbing it once I get the netbook back in operation.
    01-18-13 01:39 PM
    if i back up te device and then whipe it, will i lose the pictures and mp3's on the device memory?
    01-18-13 01:41 PM
    OH Believe me I HAVE deleted EVERY OTHER OS version on my computer, and the damn thing Still will NOT update.

Edit- Somehow the Backup file is Corrupt and That's why it won't update. WHAT DO I DO!?!!! I don't have time to check Every thing manually in order to update.
    Not my typical forum (I'm mostly on 9810) but I just had a similar thing happen when doing an upgrade. What I learned is this (and I've done a lot of OS upgrades-sidegrades-downgrades, etc), after a number of upgrades your pc starts hiding files. Use Vendelete (download from CB or I can post link) to get rid of the Vendor.xml files first! Then go to your PC>Control Panel> Programs and features (install/uninstall) and UNINSTALL (not delete) all of the OS's you are not going to use this time. The only OS you want on the PC is the download you are about to put on your device. Going to the temp or download file and deleting the old OS's doesn't uninstall the actual program file, this has to be done through the control panel. Now to be fair, I had never done this before but I guess that the upgrades were each so much newer that it upgraded by date in the past, but not this last time. Once I uninstalled everything but the OS I was putting on my phone, AppLoader loaded it perfectly as always. Hope this helps and good luck--and thanks for letting me jump in on this subject--waiting patiently for this build to hit for the 9810 now!
    01-18-13 01:52 PM
    --waiting patiently for this build to hit for the 9810 now!
    Wait no longer !!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...one-de-762995/
    go1ndr and Mecca EL like this.
    01-18-13 02:29 PM
    if i back up te device and then whipe it, will i lose the pictures and mp3's on the device memory?
    No. It will not affect your memory card.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-18-13 02:36 PM
    Thanks Legal! I came, I saw, I believed and now I have to go on a business trip, but will upgrade as soon as I get back--all smiles
    Maybe 7.2 is just around the corner!
    01-18-13 02:36 PM
334 ... 34567 ...