I just read in another forum that the 9900 does Not have auto focus. I wonder why RIM left out this feature on their flagship model?

Will this affect your purchase? The Torch 9810 does have auto focus.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    08-08-11 02:19 PM
    I don't think auto focus will make or break the 9900 being a great device. If people are going to purchase or not purchase a communication device because an added feature of a camera may or may may not have auto focus is pretty ridiculous.
    08-08-11 02:27 PM
    You need to do a little searching before creating new threads.
    DawgMan likes this.
    08-08-11 02:28 PM
    There is a nice 19 page thread on the subject right here on the first page of this subforum:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...onfirm-635630/

Happy reading!
    DawgMan likes this.
    08-08-11 02:28 PM
    I just read in another forum that the 9900 does Not have auto focus. I wonder why RIM left out this feature on their flagship model?

Will this affect your purchase? The Torch 9810 does have auto focus.

Thanks for your comments.

-Rich
    The 9810 carries over the same form factor as the 9800 and retains the same auto focus lense. The 9900 is an all new thin form factor and it is easier to fit an all focus lense with a thin frame. Its strengths are providing a quick snap, improved hd recording, cheaper production, and likely using less battery since there are no physical moving parts.

Drawbacks are poor closeup shots less sharp details than auto focus. However, the Bold will have a closeup mode that may improve on this through software tricks.
    DawgMan likes this.
    08-08-11 02:30 PM
    If anyone needs autofocus then buy a different phone. I did not not know that business people needed cameras on their phones in place of a real camera.
    08-08-11 02:35 PM
    If anyone needs autofocus then buy a different phone. I did not not know that business people needed cameras on their phones in place of a real camera.
    Business people have kids, too.
    Bu3bdo likes this.
    08-08-11 02:46 PM
    Business people have kids, too.
    I'm sure they do lol. I was commenting on the other thread posted where people said they need to take pictures of document and receipts etc. I'm sure you can get pics of your kida autofocus or not, maybe just not a clear close up.
    08-08-11 02:51 PM
    Does the 9790 or the 9360 have auto-focus?
    Does anyone know?
    08-08-11 03:05 PM
    The following is an example of the type of quality one can expect from RIM's "new" flagship business smartphone, the 9900 / 9930.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6548840

The follow examples show what the RIM products of yesteryear can produce....
    ...This is a real problem.
    08-08-11 03:14 PM
    The following is an example of the type of quality one can expect from RIM's "new" flagship business smartphone, the 9900 / 9930.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6548840

The follow examples show what the RIM products of yesteryear can produce....
    ...This is a real problem.
    I don't understand why this is such a problem for you? First off, that is perfectly legible. Second, I think a better shot can be done than that. Then there is also the closeup mode we have yet to see in action. Lastly, most professionals that make copies of documents use scanners or copy machines for the best quality. Yes, new camera phones do take fairly good shots but imo, nothing compares to a 300 dpi scan. I'm glad you are making people aware of this but you seem to be blowing this way out of proportion.
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    08-08-11 03:25 PM
    No need trying to pump some sense out there. I have concluded that no matter what people will complain. Imagine if it had an autofocus camera? Oh the horror, that is so 2010 technology. Everyone is going to EDOF cameras. RIM is so behind...I'm not getting this device.....

You just can't win.

Now, Verizon Wireless I command you to release this phone!!!!
    08-08-11 03:29 PM
    This has all made me happier with my 9650.... since discovering that the autofocus had "scenes" including "closeup".

I'm using my digital camera all the time to make papder copies or "scans" and then go through a roundabout method of getting them on the computer and sent out.

Now, I see that my 9650 takes perfectly acceptable closeups even in questionable lighting. I can use my phone to snap it, send it, save it, drop box it.... perfect! Then, I trash the original document leaving me with no need to lug folders around.

That's a big deal. Painful to think that this dreamy 9930 (I really want it) lacks the capacity to do this.
    08-08-11 03:32 PM
    It's a freakin camera. Did people not buy the PlayBook because it didn't have auto focus or the iPad 2 because both its cameras suck? No. The resolution is great enough where you will be able to take a pic further back and be able to view the resulting text full sized on a pc or zoomed in on the device just fine.
    08-08-11 03:36 PM
    I don't understand why this is such a problem for you? First off, that is perfectly legible.
    Then, by all means tell me what the document says...
    ...If you can interpret two sentences out out of the EDOF picture.
    ...You've done something no one else has been able to do.

Are you sure you didn't confound the 9650 picture with the EDOF one?

The EDOF shot is this one http://forums.crackberry.com/attachm...0000028_cr.jpg

Point being you don't need to zoom the 9650 shot at all......
    ...Now, imagine trying to take a pic of rock chips on a w/shield or paint scratch such as one would need for a damage report.
    ...My 9650 has been doing a fine job of those types of tasks for over a year now.
    ...Why is it an alien concept I would expect the new bold to be at least as good as the year old phone I've been using???

Second, I think a better shot can be done than that. Then there is also the closeup mode we have yet to see in action. Lastly, most professionals that make copies of documents use scanners or copy machines for the best quality. Yes, new camera phones do take fairly good shots but imo, nothing compares to a 300 dpi scan. I'm glad you are making people aware of this but you seem to be blowing this way out of proportion.
    The point is that the general business user NEEDS ( not wants ) their smartphone to be able to take a detailed shot such as an individual can NOW DO with a blackberry 9650 or 1st Generation Storm.

This apologetic of ; go by a real camera OR just use a scanner aptly demonstrates WHY RIM is loosing market share like an elephant seal looses it's flesh by a Great White Shark.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-08-11 at 03:44 PM.
    08-08-11 03:38 PM
    This has all made me happier with my 9650.... since discovering that the autofocus had "scenes" including "closeup".

I'm using my digital camera all the time to make papder copies or "scans" and then go through a roundabout method of getting them on the computer and sent out.

Now, I see that my 9650 takes perfectly acceptable closeups even in questionable lighting. I can use my phone to snap it, send it, save it, drop box it.... perfect! Then, I trash the original document leaving me with no need to lug folders around.

That's a big deal. Painful to think that this dreamy 9930 (I really want it) lacks the capacity to do this.
    The 9930 does not lack the ability to do this. You will still be able to take shots that are perfectly legible. Will it be as clear as an auto focus shot? Probably not. But are you concerned with the quality of the document shot or if its legible? Like I said before, we are still yet to see closeup mode.
    08-08-11 03:39 PM

Not to mention that every check deposit app I know of requires an AF camera....
    ...How would you use the scanlife APP on an EDOF camera, etc, etc, etc?
    08-08-11 03:46 PM

I can write what it says but no I can not tell you what it says because I have no idea what subject we are talking about.

Readable and so is the other one even though the hand was not steady when the shot was taken. I wear glasses so maybe that is why I can see both of those images that you posted.

And seriously. Your over use of an ellipsis defeats the purpose of it being used at all.
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 08-08-11 at 03:53 PM.
    Michelle Haag and Bu3bdo like this.
    08-08-11 03:48 PM
    ...If you can interpret two sentences out out of the EDOF picture.
    ...You've done something no one else has been able to do.

Are you sure you didn't confound the 9650 picture with the EDOF one?

I can read every image that has been posted in this thread so far. The image you just linked to is different than what you displayed in post #10 yet I can still read them both perfectly fine. Would your work require you to use scans like that as a reference or are you framing them on the wall?

Point being you don't need to zoom the 9650 shot at all......
    ...Now, imagine trying to take a pic of rock chips on a w/shield or paint scratch such as one would need for a damage report.
    ...My 9650 has been doing a fine job of those types of tasks for over a year now.
    ...Why is it an alien concept I would expect the new bold to be at least as good as the year old phone I've been using???

The point is that the general business user NEEDS ( not wants ) their smartphone to be able to take a detailed shot such as an individual can NOW DO with a blackberry 9650 or 1st Generation Storm.

This apologetic of ; go by a real camera OR just use a scanner aptly demonstrates WHY RIM is loosing market share like an elephant seal looses it's flesh by a Great White Shark.
    I never said using a scanner was a requirement. The 9900 will be plenty sufficient to do it. But even with an iPhone that takes magnificent photos, it is not IDEAL over a scanner for a professional, high quality scan. When one wants to take professional photos of their paintings or design work, do they take a picture with their smartphone? No, they take the time to use another medium for a more clear display be it SLR camera, high quality scanner, etc.
    08-08-11 03:52 PM
    Not to mention that every check deposit app I know of requires an AF camera....
    ...How would you use the scanlife APP on an EDOF camera, etc, etc, etc?
    I just successfully scanned a QR code with my PlayBook's EDOF camera. I don't see how the situation would be any different.

Also, I don't see old Curves with their 2.0 MP edof cameras having issues scanning BBM barcodes.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 08-08-11 at 04:08 PM.
    08-08-11 04:05 PM
    I can read every image that has been posted in this thread so far. The image you just linked to is different than what you displayed in post #10 yet I can still read them both perfectly fine. Would your work require you to use scans like that as a reference or are you framing them on the wall?
    If you can read figure 3.1 and 3.2 on the EDOF shot more power to you...
    ..The point made was that the camera is of a significant lesser quality on the new Bold.
    ...Than it was on previous models & if you prefer to ignore this fact so be it.

I never said using a scanner was a requirement. The 9900 will be plenty sufficient to do it. But even with an iPhone that takes magnificent photos, it is not IDEAL over a scanner for a professional, high quality scan. When one wants to take professional photos of their paintings or design work, do they take a picture with their smartphone? No, they take the time to use another medium for a more clear display be it SLR camera, high quality scanner, etc.
    It's just the "picture" of whatever taken close up that should be at least as good on the 9900 as it is on a 9650. That's what I've been saying and what the majority of everyone who has sounded off on this issue has said.

People who use their phones for business don't need to take landscape shots of trains or kids in culverts - they need to be able to take a clear shot of an RMA, product keys for software and often times DOCUMENTS. RIM left a turd in the bed on this one and I think you even realize it.
    08-08-11 04:26 PM
    It DOES have Auto Focus...
    I don't have the 9900 yet, but I found info about it in an online pdf-file.
    08-08-11 04:31 PM
    [QUOTE=pythons;6549876]If you can read figure 3.1 and 3.2 on the EDOF shot more power to you...
    ..The point made was that the camera is of a significant lesser quality on the new Bold.
    ...Than it was on previous models & if you prefer to ignore this fact so be it.
    QUOTE]

No no. I definitely don't mean to ignore this. There are compromises for sure. But there are also benefits to it as well. I think while you personally have taken a hit from the drawback and it is understandable for your situation. Hopefully the camera outperforms our expectations.
    08-08-11 04:35 PM
    As was pointed out, there is a lengthy discussion regarding this already. Please keep the conversation in one place.

(And for what it's worth, I could read all of the text in the images posted as well, so I don't see your point. It's a cell phone camera, sheesh people.)
    08-08-11 04:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD