Hi all,

Not sure this problem has been reported before, but it's one that rendered my 9900 essentially useless so I figured its worth sharing. I don't think this fits the definition of a "bricked" or "nuked" berry, but then again I'm a novice at all of this.

Story: My phone was working fine yesterday morning and next time I checked (around noon yesterday), none of the keys were working (this includes the trackpad button, menu, back, and start/end call buttons, and the entire keyboard). The touchscreen is also not functioning properly (I have patternlock and it wouldn't let me input my pattern to unlock the phone).

Steps I've taken so far (all unsuccessful):
    - numerous battery pulls
    - upgraded from 7.1.0.190 to 7.1.0.205 (thought it might be a software issue)
    - downgraded to 7.0.0.540 (thought it might be a 7.1 issue).

Has anybody experienced anything like this before? Any suggestions?
    01-25-12 12:43 PM
    Haven't experienced that before. Have you gotten it wet? Tried a battery pull? Also, if it's under warranty, exchange it.
    mangofed likes this.
    01-25-12 03:57 PM
    It definitely didn't get wet since it was in my pocket from the time it was working to the time it stopped. I think I'm going to get it replaced since it's only a month old, but it'd still be great if I could figure out what went wrong. I'd hate to have it happen again.
    01-25-12 04:39 PM
    did you by any chance dropped it or someone else somehow?
    maybe the ribbon cable from the keyboard that is attached on the motherboard became loose inside.
    well kinda strange, when it just suddenly stopped working. it's not normal like that.
    could better go for the exchange to be safe, or you could check out yourself by opening it & see if the cable is loose.
    I don't think I dropped it because it was just in my pocket the whole time.

I think you're right in that the ribbon cable from the keyboard is loose - do you know if opening up my phone would void the warranty or anything? If not, I might give it a shot.
    01-26-12 02:35 PM
    I don't think I dropped it because it was just in my pocket the whole time.

I think you're right in that the ribbon cable from the keyboard is loose - do you know if opening up my phone would void the warranty or anything? If not, I might give it a shot.
    It will void the warranty. Bring it to your carrier and have them fix it.
    01-26-12 02:50 PM
    It will void the warranty. Bring it to your carrier and have them fix it.
    Ahh okay, so I didn't get the phone from AT&T - do you think they'll still try to fix it for me?
    01-26-12 02:58 PM
    Ahh okay, so I didn't get the phone from AT&T - do you think they'll still try to fix it for me?
    Where did you get it from? You should take it back to them so they could fix it.
    01-26-12 03:01 PM
    Where did you get it from? You should take it back to them so they could fix it.
    I got the phone directly from RIM through the Employee Purchase Plan. The only issue with that is that I live in Pittsburgh and would have to go to Waterloo to take it back to them.
    01-26-12 03:05 PM
    I got the phone directly from RIM through the Employee Purchase Plan. The only issue with that is that I live in Pittsburgh and would have to go to Waterloo to take it back to them.
    Well, it would be better than paying at&t through the nose and going to a repair shop to void the warranty.
    01-26-12 03:07 PM
    Sounds like a hardware issue, especially if loading new OSes and battery pulls aren't helping.

I would call RIM's customer service where you got it from and see if they will do what the carriers do since the phone should still be under warranty and send you a new device and have you ship the old one back.

And since it seems as though it connects to DM though (since you were able to load OSes to the device) you can use the DM device switch manager to get everything from your old device to the new one.

If the issue happens again on the new device, that would mean that the issue is software and you have some app or something on your device that is messing with ur keyboard and touchscreen. When you did the OS updates/downgrades did you do a full wipe, or have your 3rd party stuff backed up and carried over?
    01-26-12 03:37 PM
    Sounds like a hardware issue, especially if loading new OSes and battery pulls aren't helping.

I would call RIM's customer service where you got it from and see if they will do what the carriers do since the phone should still be under warranty and send you a new device and have you ship the old one back.

And since it seems as though it connects to DM though (since you were able to load OSes to the device) you can use the DM device switch manager to get everything from your old device to the new one.

If the issue happens again on the new device, that would mean that the issue is software and you have some app or something on your device that is messing with ur keyboard and touchscreen. When you did the OS updates/downgrades did you do a full wipe, or have your 3rd party stuff backed up and carried over?

Just called them and they've agreed to take a look at the device and fix/replace it at their discretion. Gonna send my phone in to them next week and play it by ear from there.

Yeah I'd agree that it's likely a hardware issue - I actually did do complete wipes each time (I have back-ups of all my apps, data, etc so I figured I could always just add that stuff later).

Hopefully they just send me a new phone and that'll fix everything - I'll keep you all updated.
    01-26-12 04:57 PM
    I am having same issue and i think is not hardware issue
    Because my own when the screen sleeps then you press any keys it work.

So i think it a software problem please someone tell me what to do now ?
    03-05-13 12:16 PM
    I am having same issue and i think is not hardware issueBecause my own when the screen sleeps then you press any keys it work. So i think it a software problem please someone tell me what to do now ?
    If you even read through it, you would find it is a hardwre issue. The ribbon cable isn't properly connected, or something else is wrong. Take it in to your carrier store.
    03-05-13 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD