I have been having some interesting keyboard problems for the past week. I didn't change anything and I can't think of any notable event to point out as a possible cause (except for extreme fog that we've had recently).

My keyboard seems to skip letters sometimes. If I type at my normal fast speed, I will find that many of the letters simply don't register at all.

If I slow down and apply heavier pressure on each key as I type, I can bring the success rate much higher, but it's still not perfect.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't a lag issue. The key presses are simply never registered.

I've wiped and installed two different OSes to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this before? Do I have to send my phone in for repairs? They estimate 6 weeks, and I can't fathom being without my phone for 6 weeks.
    03-24-12 05:53 PM
    i have the same issue as you , my "e" and "a" buttons dont work unless i put a lot of effort to it and this is getting really annoying and there is no repair center near where i live so i would have to mail it in and i cant be without a phone
    anybody know any fixes?
    03-24-12 08:34 PM
    I got the same problem, it sucks! Anyone know what to do? No response for some buttons unless with great effort
    03-25-12 04:13 AM
    I find it's inconsistent for me. Today the problem is less evident than yesterday. I also find that after heavy typing use of the phone, the problem mostly goes away for some time... But if I leave the phone alone for a full day with no typing at all, the problem returns.

It's almost like the contacts below the keyboard need to be "warmed up" in a sense.

Do you find that as well? Like if you were to press the button in question many times in a row, does the hit rate change at all?
    03-26-12 09:08 AM
    Sometimes I'm typing and it sort of freezes or lags, then registers the last few letters of what I typed. It's really annoying when it happens, but it doesn't happen too often.
    03-26-12 02:45 PM
    I had the same thing happen and its eventually gone away for me. I believe its dirt that is under the keyboard/keys itself, I'd suggest a can of compressed air to just clear it up.
    03-26-12 08:25 PM
    Sometimes I'm typing and it sort of freezes or lags, then registers the last few letters of what I typed. It's really annoying when it happens, but it doesn't happen too often.
    I have had this happen too - I can type a whole word and then wait for it to actually be typed on the sceen. Also I have noticed that while I have definitely hit the keys, many letters won't be typed. I wonder if auto correct has something to do with it. I'm going to shut off my auto correct and see what happens. Hate to say it but it's only happened since I upgraded to 7.1
    03-26-12 11:14 PM
    I had a similar problem. My space bar and my N key would either not register, or they would double register. This persisted throughout a number of OS Updates. Originally, it was just the space bar and it didn't happen very often, but when the N key started, I began a search for a solution. And I fixed it today, want to know how?

New keyboard membrane. It's a physical issue, not a software issue. I bought a new OEM membrane and keypad off of ebay and swapped the pieces. Works like a charm now. Buttons feel like new and there is absolutely no skipping or double registering happening now.

Of course, doing this is only a viable option if you are comfortable with tearing apart your device. Otherwise, you're going to have to send it in, since it's a hardware issue.
    03-27-12 01:47 AM
    Note that tearing your device apart to do this while it is still under warranty will likely void said warranty

JB
    03-27-12 06:36 AM
    id have to think thats its a keyboard issue. if u take it somewhere to get it taken apart and cleaned that should to the trick, and if it doesnt id think that a new keyboard would be the solution. when i had my 9700 i bought a new housing/keyboard kit and found a how to video on youtube as to how to change it and it worked like a charm. maybe u wanna see about attempting that to avoid a 6 week wait, when its pretty much a 10 minute job
    03-27-12 08:00 AM
    Note that tearing your device apart to do this while it is still under warranty will likely void said warranty

JB
    Oh yes, disclaimer: That Sh1t'll void your warrenty. There is a little white sticker over one of the screw heads you have to remove, so they will know you tinkered with it.

BUT. If you are a DIY'er, its cheap, easy, and fast. Keyboard works like new.

Another thing. It wasn't dirty underneath, so I believe this is a premature wearing out of the membrane style buttons, not a dirt issue. There is a rubber cover over the buttons themselves, so there was nothing to "clean out".
    03-27-12 11:42 AM
    Thanks so much for that information, as I think it confirms my suspicions.

The funny thing is that my problem has gone away now. I found out that the place where the keyboard ribbon connects to the main board is under the back and 'U' keys on the keyboard, so I applied some extra pressure in that area a few times to see if maybe the ribbon had come loose.

Aside from that, I also used some compressed air but I was very tame with it as I didn't want to accidentally blow a key right off (so I don't really think this part did much).

The problem is 95% gone now, and I only experience some oddities with the M and Left Shift buttons from time to time. But I can definitely live with that.

I did try to find a keyboard membrane just in case I had to do something with it but I couldn't actually find one... Care to provide a link just in case it might come in handy in the future?
    04-02-12 11:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD