Hopefully someone will find this helpful.

This evening I dropped my 9900 on a hard floor. Keyboard and all buttons stopped working, including trackpad, screen lock, volume and hotkey. All buttons lit up as normal on reboot and screen and touch screen worked correctly.

Trust me you can't get very far without the back key. Phone was unusable.

I've had a problem with the trackpad before and that turned out to be a loose internal connection, which I fixed myself (invalidating the warranty ). So I had no worries about opening up the phone and checking the trackpad/keyboard connecting plug.

Put it all back together expecting all to be well... it wasn't. All buttons remained dead.
    Through the panic I managed to think logically. If the screen lock, volume and hotkey weren't working then either I was totally screwed or a different connector, deeper within the phone had come loose.

Using this video I took the whole phone apart as I had nothing to lose.

I believe the final connector/plug popped in this video was the problem. This plug is adjacent to the hotkey and I believe it is this plug which connects the all the bezel buttons to the mother board.

This is just a guess, but it might be that this plug works in series with the trackpad/keyboard plug and both must be 'tight' for full functionality.

Anyway, anyone who has similar problems and doesn't mind losing their warranty should basically check all internal connections/plugs. Could save a lot of time and money.
    05-24-12 06:23 PM
    Please don't try this at home! Or rather do so at your own risk. In the video a trained phone tech using professional tools carefully takes apart the phone. It is very easy to damage your phone if you don't know what you are doing or if you make a mistake.
    05-27-12 05:17 PM
    Best advice: bring it in and let your carrier do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    05-27-12 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD