So hi everyone out there
    Id like to keep my dad as a bb user so i can send him tons of stuff via bbm but lately he has been totaly dissapointed by its bb experience. he has a storm 1 that a 'friend' gave to him and he is looking to jump to android

so i tell him to stay tuned for the new bold (or whatever os7 device).

his mains concerns are the following and i dont want to mislead him when i tell him to BUY a bb

1) sharing internet connection to his laptop
    i know that theethering works fine but will the new bb be able to turn as wifi spot so his laptop can connect to it? (just like some droids can?)

2) Voip is something huge
    what are his alternatives when he wants to call someone while not beign in at home and in a wifi area?

3) what about calling with skype? im+ can handle skype phone calls?

thanks alot guys. i know i posted this in the bold forum but comments / answer for other os7 devices wouod be appreciated!
    08-04-11 09:24 PM
    So hi everyone out there
    Id like to keep my dad as a bb user so i can send him tons of stuff via bbm but lately he has been totaly dissapointed by its bb experience. he has a storm 1 that a 'friend' gave to him and he is looking to jump to android

his mains concerns are the following and i dont want to mislead him when i tell him to BUY a bb

i know that theethering works fine but will the new bb be able to turn as wifi spot so his laptop can connect to it? (just like some droids can?)

what are his alternatives when he wants to call someone while not beign in at home and in a wifi area?

thanks alot guys. i know i posted this in the bold forum but comments / answer for other os7 devices wouod be appreciated!
    I understand how he feels and many of us Storm owners were right there with him. I would start off by explaining to him that the glitch-filled storm was not worthy of its release. I think if he had a basic bold 9650, or one of the newer touch models if they come out will impress him.
    I'm not sure on some of your points and I don't want to mislead you. I'm expecting connection to a laptop would only be available through teathering.
    08-04-11 10:37 PM
    Good luck. Once someone makes up their mind to switch you face an uphill battle. Unfortunately he has a device that almost made this grown man cry. Might be a good idea to drag him to a store and let him see some better devices and let him know the new ones coming out will be slicker and faster.
    08-04-11 11:05 PM
    Thanks, i totally understand your point. as a storm 2 user i actually like my bb experience.
    However keeping on topic, my dads is crutial about those request.
    i mean if storm 1 had the possibility of "decent VOIP" and "internet-up his lap top" he would be the happiest man in the world.
    08-04-11 11:36 PM
    I am sorry to say this.... But, good for him! If I am not addicted to the physical keyboards of BBs, I am gone for a Android or even Apple.

I think due to strong ties between RIM and service providers programs like Skype and many other programs will available only on few selected providers.

Also, the new BBs are nothing compared to their HTC, Samsung, Apple and other devices. BBs are sooo bad at apps and many other things.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-11 11:39 PM
    I am curious to know what voip application he is trying to use?

Oh, you can tell him with authority that everytime he calls you or any other verizon wireless customer that call is voip without question
    08-04-11 11:54 PM
    So hi everyone out there

For a very shot time I had that device and feel your Dad's pain - that was / is one next to worthless phone - Try to convince him to wait until he can at least see and test the new devices out in the store.
    08-04-11 11:59 PM
    If your dad wants a nice touch screen device, I suggest either torch 9810 or torch 9860. Torch 9860 is a verrrry fast, reliable device nothing like the storm, which is why it's no longer continued. ;ust remind your dad that it's not bbm that was the problem, it was the buggy storm phone and with these new devices and bbm6 there should be no complaining from a previous bbm user . Just give it a chance! I use to be an android fanboy, but when I got my 9700 and bbm, it really got me attached to it. Knowing that I can share pictures, videos, music with my contacts all around the world made me realize how powerful bbm is for communication. Yes, androids are pretty powerful, but if your a heavy bbm user like me and a social network fiend, then bb is your best friend in battery life, reliability, and effiecnty. Make him watch some videos about the new phones coming out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 01:36 AM
    Well I'd say as suggested by the other members of the group check out the torch, if your dad still feels he wants to go for an android phone, let him. Androids are evolving pretty good but are plagued by a terrible battery backup.
    08-05-11 02:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD