JVM error 517 happened to me last night and IS recoverable, if you have blackberry desktop manager connect your phone to your pc/laptop by usb but with no battery in. your dm should still recognize your phone. it will then come up with a message click upgrade and allow to download all the modules DO NOT disturb it, it takes all the files off your phone replaces them and upgrades everything on your phone!! towards the end of the upgrade put your battery in your phone and just leave it to do everything itself. it took around an hour to do but well worth the wait as it as resolved all my phone issues. hope this helps.
    I was able to do this when I had this problem months ago and it worked perfectly. Fortunately, I did not lose anything that was on my phone but that may have been because i have a memory card.
    04-08-12 12:05 PM
    Hey.. Mike..Can you please help and let me know how RIM got your device connected to the desktop. Mine wont and it's showing error 517. I dont have a backup either,lol. So losing data isnt an option.
    Awaiting your reply.
    04-16-12 04:12 AM
    Hi,

Try taking your battery out then connecting by usb then plugging the battery in - hopefully the DM will then see the device and you should be able to reload the OS.

Good luck!
    04-18-12 10:30 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD