heyy guys, i tried to update my BBM through app world... it was taking really long to finish but it finally did.. once it finished my blackberry completely froze i couldn't do anything, after a few mins i decided to pull the battery out and turn it back on. once i turned it on it just froze on the main home page.

i waited and did the battery pull again, and then once the phone loaded my screen turned white and it said "JVM error 505", it gave me the option to "reset" once i clicked it and the phone turned off, it started loading up and once it was halfway loading the white screen appeared again saying "JVM error 505",,,

if i click reset it just does the same thing, if i pull the better out it just does the same thing. i have clicked reset like 20 times and have done a few more battery pulls but it just says the same thing, it just load half way and shows the error sign...

Does anyone know how i can fix this or what it even means please help

02-10-12 08:51 AM
    JVM 505 error is "Bad Byte Code" and requires and OS reinstall. ☹
    02-10-12 08:57 AM
    Yeah I had a JVM error on my first Bold.

I just re-installed the OS from Blackberry desktop manager and it worked perfectly 30 minutes later.
    02-10-12 09:04 AM
    Do yourself a favor and never update your OS OTA or through Desktop Manager in the future. Always use Loader.exe

Now you have to wipe your device, install a fresh OS on your computer, Delete the vendor.xml file (if you installed an OS from a different carrier only), then run loader.exe and proceed with the installation of the OS.

I hope you have backed up your BlackBerry before so you can restore everything back otherwise your screwed my friend
    It was upgrading BBM, not the OS.

Since it was just BBM that caused it, running either Desktop and using the Application Manager, or running Loader.exe to revert to the previous BBM version may resolve it, though a reinstallation of the OS might be required. Depends on whether an OS file was corrupted, or simply on of the BBM files took a crap.

Either way, having to wipe the phone first is pretty unlikely. Might require installing a different OS to avoid the wipe, but at least in the case of a phone that won't boot far enough to backup, you won't lose your personal data.
    02-10-12 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD