i did a search on this forums, but i did not get a conclusive answer.

was on my way back from work, plugged my 9900 into car charger, 5 min later .. i saw it restarting ! ofc i saw what was coming but wasnt sure to what extent !! finally a JVM 517 error appeared, didnt press reset till i got home plugged into BBSAK wiped it and now going to install 7.1 OS. meanwhile, my question is pretty clear !

JVM 517 represents what, hardware ? corrupted cod ? what is it exactly :S i did have some *i believe* not quite supported os7 apps.

thanks.
    11-30-11 09:18 AM
    JVM 517 means your file system is corrupt. I would try to get a backup of your phone and then wipe and reload the OS.

If you get another 517 after that, then return the phone under warranty.
    marcony likes this.
    11-30-11 09:23 AM
    JVM 517 means your file system is corrupt. I would try to get a backup of your phone and then wipe and reload the OS.

Could this foresight a incoming "bricking" disaster ?

i did install new app hours before, i doubt the update had os7 in mind.

thanks
    11-30-11 09:29 AM

I am on my 5th (FIFTH) 9930 ...... between the JVM 517 (3 times) - and a few other white screen errors . . . . once I was able to reload myself..... the others were bricks and they gave me new phones!
    11-30-11 09:32 AM
    You should reflash your device to a more stable software. It is a software issue.
    11-30-11 09:33 AM
    Could this foresight a incoming "bricking" disaster ?

i did install new app hours before, i doubt the update had os7 in mind.

thanks
    As tliolos stated, the 9900's (and 9930's) are famous for bricking. Just ask Kevin, our fearless leader. No one has been able to determine what the problem is, but IIRC, RIM did make a blog post a while back stating that there is a software fix due out to fix the problem. We are still waiting for that..
    11-30-11 09:36 AM
    As tliolos stated, the 9900's (and 9930's) are famous for bricking. Just ask Kevin, our fearless leader. No one has been able to determine what the problem is, but IIRC, RIM did make a blog post a while back stating that there is a software fix due out to fix the problem. We are still waiting for that..
    Reload 9900 os, turn it off till os fix comes up.. fire up my 9700 thats gathering dust?
    11-30-11 09:38 AM
    The guy at sprint told me that I am the only one that has had this problem that he has heard of.... he doesn't want to give me any other phones - told me if it happens again - put the phone on ebay and buy an iPhone!
    11-30-11 09:40 AM
    The guy at sprint told me that I am the only one that has had this problem that he has heard of.... he doesn't want to give me any other phones - told me if it happens again - put the phone on ebay and buy an iPhone!
    OK, that is just stupid. If you are within your return window, they have no choice but to let you get a different phone. If you are out of your return window and within the warranty period, you return the phone a get a different (refurb'ed) phone of the same model.

But honestly, until RIM puts out the software fix, everyone is just hoping their device makes it through the day without bricking..

Makes me glad I didn't upgrade from my 9800. Sometimes getting a phone on the bleeding edge cuts you.
    11-30-11 09:55 AM
    but is it possible that 517 could mean incoming red light BRICK ?
    11-30-11 10:09 AM
    Yes, it could be a symptom of an upcoming bricking..
    11-30-11 10:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD