Well, as many of you guys know, the Mac DM isn't the greatest.

I tried getting Japanese input language on my device (its all checked on DM), but all I get is Japanese as a Display Language or Voice dial.

So I was wondering if there was a way to download an input language pack OTA. I found them for Chinese, Korean, etc, but DM has no problem installing those on my device. It's just Japanese.

Thanks,
    Sam
    03-04-12 04:23 PM
    No there's not. Japanese is a very special language on RIM devices and you're only able to load it on with installer packs that have the little "j" in them (ie: jAllLang, jEastAsia, etc). You cannot force Japanese onto any other installer packs, except maybe the "hw" class that have Chinese handwriting, but I've never found a way to make that happen.

I don't know why Japanese is so unique but it's been like this for as long as I've had RIM devices, unfortunately.

EDIT: "Japanese" means "Japanese input" in all of this, just to clarify
    SaMaster14 likes this.
    03-04-12 05:42 PM
    Ok thanks.

What is odd is that it worked when I was on regular OS7.0. (I used my friends PC to load it, but after loading it, all of my 3rd party apps were gone, like I did a complete OS reload. But when I updated to 7.1 OTA, Japanese input went away.

I really don't want to go through reloading all of my apps again though, so I guess I'll just wait for the Mac DM to get an update. Just so annoying that it says it is installed as an input, but just doesn't show up on the device.

Thanks for the response kjic!
    03-04-12 05:51 PM
    You're welcome ^^

If you can get yourself set up on someone else's PC you can install a 7.1 with Japanese input if and when it becomes available (if it isn't already). The one joy with a PC-BB combination is being able to pick and choose your loader files. Why Mac can't do it is beyond me. Where's the love, RIM/Apple?

Sorry for the bad news
    03-04-12 05:54 PM
    You're welcome ^^

If you can get yourself set up on someone else's PC you can install a 7.1 with Japanese input if and when it becomes available (if it isn't already). The one joy with a PC-BB combination is being able to pick and choose your loader files. Why Mac can't do it is beyond me. Where's the love, RIM/Apple?

Sorry for the bad news
    Will it delete all of my 3rd party apps and stuff though? I have a PC I can use, but last time I used it, it basically reloaded my OS and I needed to reinstall all of my 3rd party apps OTA.

Is there any way to JUST add in the Japanese input and have it not effect my device in any other way?
    03-04-12 06:50 PM
    Not that I know of... and given that Japanese isn't an option for you to have as an input language on the current OS you have, I'd assume pretty safely you don't have a "j"-variety bundle that would support it. This translates to a full OS swap-out that would require you to reload all your 3rd party apps. That said though, I recall my last OS upgrade had the option, by way of apploader, to back-up and re-load the 3rd party apps automatically. The only thing I needed to do was enter in the registration codes on some of them, that's all!

If you decide to go that route I know that Sprint has 7.1.0.163 available as a jAllLang for the 9930 you have. Unless you find someone with a higher 7.1.x in j-variety I'd grab that one and load it by way of App Loader on a PC.

Hope that helps ^^
    03-05-12 12:24 AM
    I have 7.1.0.163, just on Verizon. Is it different than Sprint's in that it doesn't support Japanese?
    Or are you saying that both the Spring/VZW current OSes do not support Japanese?

Thanks
    03-05-12 08:02 AM
    I'm not sure, tbh. When I go to the Verizon OS loader site it doesn't tell me which package it is, whether it's an AllLang or a jAllLang. There are only a handful of providers whose sites do that and it's terribly annoying. My money's on you having the former rather than the latter else Japanese would be an option for input language. You can get tons of different versions of any particular OS build though, all coming with different loader options designed for a particular carrier's needs. Most Asian countries have either Japanese or Chinese handwriting OSes whereas a good deal of North American carriers come with basic Western language support and/or Chinese and Korean text input. Some North American carriers do come with Japanese and, in this case, Sprint has your OS with Japanese input.

If you go to this website you'll see all the carriers and can check out which OSes they have released. Remember, with Japanese input you want that little "j" in the name after the model number.

For some reason both Verizon and T-Mobile in the US have wonky sites and don't say anything about the OSes available. I'd just avoid them if you decide to go this route as you've no idea what you're downloading ^^
    Last edited by kjic13; 03-05-12 at 09:09 AM.
    03-05-12 09:06 AM
    Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try and load it using my friends PC on my current OS first, and if that fails I'll probably just wait for the next OS update, since Verizon's 7.0 did have Japanese input available, so there is always a chance that the next official will have it as well. I'm not a huge fan of putting leaked OSes onto my device.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    03-05-12 09:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD