I just moved to a new house, the reception in the house is very spotty. So I was glad I will use the wifi for calls. But all my calls all break up. Even if I am right next to the router

I have searched the net and crackberry and have not found a resolution. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this
    08-09-12 10:43 PM
    I have done the battery pull, call tmobile and gave them me e911 address.

Still breaks up all the time. I am wondering if there needs to be Ny router setting changes?
    08-09-12 11:08 PM
    A few things to check in the order id recommend.

Network connection quality:
    through a command prompt (in windows go to run, type cmd) type ping -t www.google.com are the ping times consistent and are you dropping packets? if it is stable for a good minute or so you know your line is good, and the problem is probably with the router-phone connection.
    If it is not, which is what my guess is with your issues, its an ISP problem you need to resolve with them.
    If that connection is good:
    Ensure your router has the latest firmware. If that update doesnt fix your problem change the broadcast channel. If you live in a very populated area this could be the issue, although imo it is rare. change it to different channels and see if it helps.

Good luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-10-12 03:50 AM
    The 99xx has very poor wifi calling. There have been many reports of this. My 9700 was great but in the same environment my 9900 is almost worthless.

A few tips. Do a battery pull. Take off the mobile network (check only wifi). Select wifi calling only. When you get back into a good signal area undo these settings.
    08-10-12 05:47 AM
    The 99xx has very poor wifi calling. There have been many reports of this. My 9700 was great but in the same environment my 9900 is almost worthless.

A few tips. Do a battery pull. Take off the mobile network (check only wifi). Select wifi calling only. When you get back into a good signal area undo these settings.
    I have done this and it did not work that well either
    08-10-12 09:20 AM
    How do you enable wifi calling?

Is this possible with all cell carriers? I'm on Bell (canada).
    08-10-12 11:27 PM
    How do you enable wifi calling?

Is this possible with all cell carriers? I'm on Bell (canada).
    You can't... wifi calling is only available with carriers who support UMA (TMO US, Rogers, Orange UK etc.)
    Big_Ern likes this.
    08-10-12 11:31 PM
    ah ok. Thanks
    08-10-12 11:32 PM
    I learned recently that TMo has a new SIM card called UICC GBA. This new SIM card supports a technology called Generic Bootstrapping Architecture. Generic Bootstrapping Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Changing to this new SIM on my 9900 has improved Wifi call quality and reliability.

This SIM can be identified with TM9177 on the upper corner of the SIM. If you have Wifi calling issues and do not have this SIM, I recommend you stop by a TMo store and upgrade.
    BlazorBoy and Hgouck like this.
    09-06-12 06:53 AM
    I learned recently that TMo has a new SIM card called UICC GBA. This new SIM card supports a technology called Generic Bootstrapping Architecture. Generic Bootstrapping Architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Changing to this new SIM on my 9900 has improved Wifi call quality and reliability.

This SIM can be identified with TM9177 on the upper corner of the SIM. If you have Wifi calling issues and do not have this SIM, I recommend you stop by a TMo store and upgrade.
    I was very hopeful when I read this, but then checked and found that my SIM was so marked. My wifi calling is horrible. I have a very strong wifi signal. My old 9700 gave great UMA service. This is the second 9900 unit with the same poor quality.

Worse than a bad signal, often it will place a call or receive a call, but neither party can hear the other. TMo ruined their best feature (UMA) when going to the 9900. A real shame.
    Last edited by BlazorBoy; 09-06-12 at 08:22 AM.
    09-06-12 07:10 AM
    hi - I used to find the wi-fi calling on the 9900 was terrible and would drop as soon as I made a call.

I recently upgraded the phone software using a hybrid software, and now wi-fi calling is perfect (comparable to my old 9780 uma calling).

I used the BL Hybrid Os - rc2 over official 569 with the 523 sfi - give it a try...

http://forums.crackberry.com/hybrid-...evices-736988/
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-06-12 08:47 AM
    Because this is a co. phone (and I'm not quite sure I could follow those directions) I fear I must stick with TMo's .284. It would be great to get good wifi calling again. In any case, thanks for the information and I'm glad yours is working well.
    09-06-12 09:32 AM
    UMA, as we once knew it, is dead. Wifi calling is the 3GPP standard. It uses port 4500UDP (NATT) to make the handshake. This handshake is the source of most people's wifi calling problems. After some time the handset "sleeps" and when the remote server tries to re-establish the handshake (incoming call), many SPI firewalls reject the incoming request on port 4500. GBA serves to address this. In my case the TM9177 SIM stopped continuous blocked log entries in my router. It also improved wifi call reliability.

TMo .284 software was early. Its possible some wifi calling issues were unaddressed in that early 7.1build. I recommend you try a newer OS such as .649.

Or, consider your wifi router may be the source of the issues you're experiencing. Have you checked to see if newer firmware exists? Do you have VPN passthrough enabled (specifically IPSec)? Which make/model wifi router do you own?
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-06-12 08:19 PM
    UMA, as we once knew it, is dead. Wifi calling is the 3GPP standard. It uses port 4500UDP (NATT) to make the handshake. This handshake is the source of most people's wifi calling problems. After some time the handset "sleeps" and when the remote server tries to re-establish the handshake (incoming call), many SPI firewalls reject the incoming request on port 4500. GBA serves to address this. In my case the TM9177 SIM stopped continuous blocked log entries in my router. It also improved wifi call reliability.

TMo .284 software was early. Its possible some wifi calling issues were unaddressed in that early 7.1build. I recommend you try a newer OS such as .649.

Or, consider your wifi router may be the source of the issues you're experiencing. Have you checked to see if newer firmware exists? Do you have VPN passthrough enabled (specifically IPSec)? Which make/model wifi router do you own?
    I upgraded the sim card today and it seems to be working great

I have a links us ea4500 router
    09-07-12 02:50 PM
    I am also running 569 software
    09-07-12 03:21 PM
    I have had 3 local friends upgrade their SIM to the TM9177 (2 x BB9900 and 1 x Android) and all 3 had positive results.

Wifi calling is not a perfect technology and neither are most consumer wifi routers. However TM9177 SIM seems to have helped significantly. I can actually stay on Wifi for hours at a time with no problem. Number of failed calls over wifi is also acceptably low now. Before TM9177 SIM I would get bumped offline constantly or was unable to connect, forcing redial.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-07-12 06:54 PM
    I have a 9900 on Rogers with UMA/Wifi enabled and use it daily due to poor cell reception in my home area.

I was experiencing poor call quality and dropped calls on wifi. I had my 9900 connected to an 802.11g wireless router in my home. I upgraded my wireless router to an 802.11n version and made sure my 9900 connected to it on the 802.11n channel and not an 802.11g channel.

This corrected all my issues immediately for me and I've been satisfied ever since with wifi calling. It seems for me, the faster speeds on 802.11n in my house made the difference.

thanks.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-08-12 11:41 PM

Many thanks. I have been away from home so cannot answer all your good questions. I do get VPN with my laptops. It's a linksys G. I also have an N access point elsewhere in my condo.

Home now: use a Lynksys WRT54G. Never had a problem with 9700's UMA. I also note that frequently 9900 shows SOS only rather than roam on the network that would put out the SOS. Note sure why that is.

Thanks again for the time you took in writing your post.
    Last edited by BlazorBoy; 09-09-12 at 06:14 PM.
    09-08-12 11:58 PM
    @fodchuk - Good to hear you resolved your issue. FYI, 802.11N is not a specific requirement for Wifi calling to work properly. I've seen it work OK on Enterprise 802.11G AP's. Its typically that newer routers and modern chipsets have incorporated improvements/fixes to help make your wifi experience more enjoyable.

@BlazorBoy - WRT54G? Is it one of the old ones with the blue front and two rubber antennas on the back? If so, I think its time for a new router. See above as to why. Which "N" Access Point do you also own? May be worth a try.

You get SOS because TMo has no signal and your phone is connected to AT&T so you can make 911 calls. Apparently, AT&T has better signal in that location than TMo.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-09-12 07:01 PM

@BlazorBoy - WRT54G? Is it one of the old ones with the blue front and two rubber antennas on the back? If so, I think its time for a new router. See above as to why. Which "N" Access Point do you also own? May be worth a try.

YES IT IS ONE OF THE OLD BLUE ONES, YET GENERALLY QUITE GOOD.
    MY N IS HARDWIRED INTO THE ROUTER AND, HENCE, THE CABLE MODEM. IT IS IN A BETTER TMo SIGNAL AREA BUT I WILL TRY WIFI CALLING WITH IT BY GOING OFF CELL NETWORK.

You get SOS because TMo has no signal and your phone is connected to AT&T so you can make 911 calls. Apparently, AT&T has better signal in that location than TMo.
    ANSWER TO FIRST OBSERVATION IN ALL CAPS ABOVE.

ANSWER TO SOS:

I UNDERSTAND WHY I GET AT&T BUT TMo SHOULD ROAM ON AT&T AS IT SOMETIMES DOES AND NOT MERELY GIVE ME SOS. IN FACT THE DEVICE ANALYZER OFTEN SHOWS THAT I WAS USING AN ATT SIGNAL, AND IT ROAMS TO EVERYONE WHEN I AM IN EUROPE. I AM A BIT CONFUSED BY THIS, BUT
    LAY A LOT OF THE BLAME ON THE 9900 HARD OR FIRM-WARE AND THE TMo SIGNAL.

AGAIN, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
    Last edited by BlazorBoy; 09-09-12 at 07:13 PM.
    09-09-12 07:11 PM
    Roaming is a complicated topic in the US. You are not roaming on AT&T because there is no roaming Agreement between TMo and AT&T in your market.

Roaming between carriers in the US (like you are accustom to seeing in Europe) is typically seen in very rural areas.

The US cellular marketplace is very different than outside the US. Little cooperation between carriers is the way to sum it up.

Please try a different AP. I have a box full of old WRT54G routers (just about every version) that I've replaced for people who had issues. It was a great router in its day, but that day ended long ago.
    Last edited by claykin; 09-09-12 at 07:23 PM.
    BlazorBoy likes this.
    09-09-12 07:21 PM
    Roaming is a complicated topic in the US. You are not roaming on AT&T because there is no roaming Agreement between TMo and AT&T in your market.

Roaming between carriers in the US (like you are accustom to seeing in Europe) is typically seen in very rural areas.

The US cellular marketplace is very different than outside the US. Little cooperation between carriers is the way to sum it up.

Please try a different AP. I have a box full of old WRT54G routers (just about every version) that I've replaced for people who had issues. It was a great router in its day, but that day ended long ago.
    What confuses me is that the Device Analyzer (which I have basically stopped looking at) shows, for example, Network: ATT&T 5.05% while also showing ROAMING: 3.88% for the same time period. At one time, I thought TMo did roam on AT&T, but that might have ended. Anyway, I put up with the inconsistent service, but may switch carriers at some point. (I get my phones and service for free from my company, and can choose carriers.)

I will see how well my new N access point works for WIFI calling.

Thanks.
    09-09-12 07:42 PM
    FYI, Wifi calling is NOT supported by AT&T (and may NEVER be). In my experience AT&T has better signal in some locations, but their support staff is often lacking. And, wait till you compare voice/data plans!

Which test are you doing with the Device Analyzer that gives you this result?
    09-09-12 07:50 PM
    FYI, Wifi calling is NOT supported by AT&T (and may NEVER be). In my experience AT&T has better signal in some locations, but their support staff is often lacking. And, wait till you compare voice/data plans!

Which test are you doing with the Device Analyzer that gives you this result?
    I know AT&T does not and never has supported UMA/WIFI calling, that is the main reason I stick with TMo (especially good when out of the country). I was hoping to be able to make cell calls on the AT&T network when TMo had a poor signal and thought that at one point I could do so.

These data come from the BB Device Analyzer >Cell Network>Intermittent Connection Trends. In generally the Analyzer gives a lot of very impressive data that has little practical value AFASK. Very fun graphs --looks like my phone is having a heart attack wrt signal.
    09-09-12 07:56 PM
    I upgraded the sim card today and it seems to be working great

I have a links us ea4500 router
    Upgraded SIM card this evening and for the past couple of hours the wifi calling has been very stable along with a marked improvement in retention of the 4G signal outside the home. Will update again in a few days.

Side note; upon upgrading the sim card in store - associate mentioned that in the last couple of weeks many customers have stopped by and upgraded the SIM to TM9177 as recent Network upgrades seem to be affecting smartphones in particular across the board.
    09-09-12 10:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD