I'm currently using the new Bold but also have 1st and 3rd gen iTouch's.
    I'm wondering why the gaming experience is so different on the iTouch than the new Bold.

If you look in the picture above, you will see that all the models, even the newest one, have, compared to the Bold, really bad processors and low RAM. However the games on both iTouch's are so much better than the Bold.

So is it just software related or why is there such a big difference?
    01-20-12 07:29 AM
    RIM focusing more of their time and energy into form factor, creating a great communication device and providing secure email and messenger services. Their focus has never been to create a gaming device.

In fact I dont think you can even compare an itouch (which is marketed as a gaming /app device) to a Bold (a business communication device).
    01-20-12 07:39 AM
    True, but I see that as the past. Nowadays more teenagers are buying Blackberry's because of the great communication (BBM, etc) and since they're teenagers I think gaming is probably a main point for them, and not just teenagers.
    I'm sure there are other older people who also like to play some games every once in a while.

I'm not saying the gaming experience should be like the iPhone 4S, I just want something close to the 1st gen iTouch, that's all I'm asking.
    01-20-12 07:43 AM
    The IPod is made for gaming. I have the 4th gen along with my Bold and they complement each other perfectly. Ipod just 'games' better and there is a MUCH larger selection. I tried games on the Bold. I love Brickbreaker, but that's the extent of it. Tried a fruit ninja ripoff and the touchscreen just isn't as precise. Id miss a slice or it would just be 'choppy' (no pun intended...)

If I wanted a gaming BB I would get the Torch 9850 or use the Playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 09:56 AM
    yup my thoughts exactly.
    01-20-12 10:01 AM

The Torch would suck at gaming too. It's not about the hardware it's about game developers. There is simply no interest on developing fully fledge games on Blackberry's phone platform. Sure there are some good quality time wasters such as Fruits and Ninja, Vampire Hunter, Word Rival, Word Farm, etc.. But someone looking for some hardcore gaming on a blackberry will be greatly disappointed. iDevices has us on that front. Not that I care since I don't waste too much time on games but yeah.

The playbook, on the other hand, is getting strong game releases from top developers. Hopefully we'll start getting better utility and productivity apps as well
    Last edited by KrizM23; 01-20-12 at 10:15 AM.
    01-20-12 10:11 AM
    iOS even has it over android. I tried playing games on my mom's droid 2 (granted its not the newest droid device, but newer than the 3rd gen ipod touch) and the interface for gaming wasn't as fluid as iOS. And even the new Xyboard tablet isn't great. Played with one at the vzw store and angry birds was blurry on the screen (it looked the game wasn't made for the tablet and was aqueezed onto the screen) and the touchscreen wasn't fluid at all... Pretty choppy and innacurate compared to an ipad or ipod.

01-20-12 10:31 AM
    Apple games are very well work the relation between software and hardware. Thats why game experience is so much better on the Apple devices. And I dont think i need to mention the quality and the quantity of the apps.
    01-20-12 10:37 AM
    RIM focusing more of their time and energy into form factor, creating a great communication device and providing secure email and messenger services. Their focus has never been to create a gaming device.

In fact I dont think you can even compare an itouch (which is marketed as a gaming /app device) to a Bold (a business communication device).
    Email fever is over.
    People don�t need encrypted and compressed email now. (they never needed it)
    Most of smart phone can do email as fast as BB does.
    Exchange server is so better on iOS without any BES or any special arrangements�
    If RIM still dreams about email is life and core selling point
    They must change�
    Even 1.2 Ghz CPU (bb 99xx) is not enough to beat iPod Touch 4G.

RIM need to change some fundamental concept on their smartphones�.
    01-20-12 11:04 AM
    That�s where you are wrong.
    Still BOSE/ Philips/ SONY sells mp3 players�
    Will you buy mp3 player if BB doesn�t plays good quality mp3.
    Dedicated gaming consoles can�t be compared to iOS/ Android games�
    But still mobile gaming has overtaken console gaming�
    These are some of the fundamental problem with BB platform which is over looked by RIM.
    How many iOS/Android user really care about email and encryption and security.
    People need one thing does all solution�
    01-20-12 11:11 AM
    Email fever is over.
    Exchange server is so better on iOS without any BES or any special arrangements�
    They must change�

It beats it in gaming, but that's it. Typing is worse obviously... But my ipod touch 4G crashes and freezes when I use it a lot. When trying to type in the browser when on a forum like this if I type to fast the browser crashes. Games crash at times and some games take a while to load. Its an amazing device no doubt, but like any device, it has its issues. I personally prefer the way email is on my BB better and I like the universal inbox over iOS's email app. And BBM is obviously better than iMessage.

I have no problem carrying around both devices either and I use my ipod as my music player as well, even though the Bold's music app works just as well imo.

01-20-12 11:17 AM
    I have my 9930 for communication (email/text/phone calls)

I have my 4th gen iPod Touch for games but mainly music. Once more and more games come out for the playbook, i'll use my playbook for games and videos and occasional web browsing. If OS 2 comes out, then maybe I can use it as a communications tool since native PIN apps and better text inputs.
    01-20-12 11:18 AM
    I have my 9930 for communication (email/text/phone calls)

I have my 4th gen iPod Touch for games but mainly music. Once more and more games come out for the playbook, i'll use my playbook for games and videos and occasional web browsing. If OS 2 comes out, then maybe I can use it as a communications tool since native PIN apps and better text inputs.
    Good dream�.
    QNX development is boring and confusing�
    There will not more than total of 200 games on playbook and never will the count increase.
    Until��.
    01-20-12 11:21 AM
    Infinus, I can't see your profile because I'm on the mobile forum, but if you don't care for what the Bold has to offer than why do you have one? Seems like the device isn't for you. And if you have an iphone or droid, why are you posting in the Bold's forum?

Also, on a side note, why do people say RIM 'need'. ... It should be RIM needs... Research in Motion is a company name. You wouldn't say 'SaMaster14 need to go online' you would use 'needs to go online'
    (btw, not picking on you infinus, I see MANY people do it and it always annoys me a bit...)

01-20-12 11:21 AM
    Infinus, I can't see your profile because I'm on the mobile forum, but if you don't care for what the Bold has to offer than why do you have one? Seems like the device isn't for you. And if you have an iphone or droid, why are you posting in the Bold's forum?

Also, on a side note, why do people say RIM 'need'. ... It should be RIM needs... Research in Motion is a company name. You wouldn't say 'SaMaster14 need to go online' you would use 'needs to go online'
    (btw, not picking on you infinus, I see MANY people do it and it always annoys me a bit...)

Sorry for bit grammar mistake�
    I am 9900 owner and I love my bold a lot. I also own iPod Touch4G.
    I agree both of devices are meant for different purpose.
    RIM made such a better hardware, but there is now proper way to full utilize it.
    Same memo app, todo app, no native support to zip/ unzip. All this need upgrade, still no support to rich text email sending�.
    Samsung Galaxy Note is cheaper than 9900.
    5.3 inch screen V/S 2.8 inch screen
    2500mA battery V/S 1280mA battery.
    See how much money is invested on BB9900
    01-20-12 11:33 AM
    The same points I wanted to say were cleared from some people and to sum it again:
    Of course Apple is focusing on this gaming part and since RIM is not, I'm not expecting something that's exactly the same. I just want a decent gaming device.

The Bold 9900 is currently the flagship device. And since we're in 2012 now it should pretty much be good at everything. People don't buy Blackberry's JUST for the communication, they want a good overall device.
    Also, the 9850 also has poor gaming. It's not about the screen. There are hardly any good games in the App World.

RIM doesn't need to focus on secure email, etc anymore. Most users don't need that. But definitely more users want better games.
    Also like I said, the hardware on 9900 is better than all iTouch's so it should not be impossible to do.

I like the Bold+iTouch combination but I can't always carry them both so I end up just having the Bold.
    01-20-12 12:50 PM
    Email fever is over.
    They must change�

Spoken like an individual who works for a company that doesnt care about its email content. How can you say they dont need it? Do we all work at Old Navy or something? Dumbest thing I have read all day.

And you're telling me most non-BB non-push smartphones get mail quicker than BB's? Bull$*&T.

Since you seem to know it all - go ahead and shoot your business plan up to RIM. Im sure they will get right back to you.
    01-20-12 01:17 PM
    I actually agree. They shouldn't give encrypted emails for everyone. I bet no teenager wants that.
    Of course there are other business men or whatever who want that so if they do they can ask for it. But RIM shouldn't force it on everyone and take more money for that (BIS subscription)

The emails may not be quicker on other devices but they're definitely not slow at all. If i receive the email 3mins later, I wouldn't mind at all.

I'm not saying they shouldn't concentrate on the communication part but not give it all they have. They also need to stay up to date in other parts, like gaming.
    01-20-12 01:29 PM
    I'm not saying they shouldn't concentrate on the communication part but not give it all they have. They also need to stay up to date in other parts, like gaming.
    It's a phone. Communication should be top priority. Gaming and other useless apps should be an afterthought. RIM could dump all the money they have into improving the gaming experience on BlackBerrys, but it will probably be in vain; the platform is simply not known for gaming, and it will take a lot of marketing to convince the market (and developers) otherwise.
    01-20-12 03:09 PM
    Typing is worse obviously...
    01-20-12 03:14 PM
    So gaming on Blackberry devices will always stay lowest priority right?
    01-20-12 03:15 PM
    So gaming on Blackberry devices will always stay lowest priority right?
    I did not say that. I said it should be an afterthought, but obviously that's just how I feel about it.
    Besides, even if it were lowest priority, that doesn't automatically mean it won't be upon improved at all. The fact of the matter is, the BBOS is simply not designed to be a gaming platform. Heck, it's not designed for 3rd party apps in general. This is evidenced by the fact that you have to restart the phone every time you uninstall an app, and that the apps cannot be stored on the embedded media or SD cards.
    They can apply all the bandages they want (OpenGL rendering, more memory, faster processor, etc...), but if you want a BlackBerry that can play very graphical games, you'll have to wait for BB10.
    01-20-12 03:23 PM
    Makes perfect sense, Thank You.
    01-20-12 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD