08-24-11 12:38 PM
- I hope this doesn't turn into an iphone is better no 9930 is better thread, but I was just curious if any iphone 4 users are giving it up for a 9930 and if so what didn't you like about the iphone that made you switch! Now for the people that are not switching out their iphone no comment needed .08-17-11 07:15 PM
- Yeah I switched from an iPhone 4 on Friday. The novelty of the games and apps just wore off, and I was really sick with the whole proprietary nature of iOS and really missed having a physical keyboard. The only apps I really used on it were Twitter, Facebook and TuneIn Radio, so looking at the choices I thought a BlackBerry would be perfect.08-17-11 07:26 PMLike 2
- My plan is to compare the 9900 to my iPhone 4 when it comes out, along with the iPhone 5. I was using a Bold 9700 until 2 months ago when I found a good deal on Craigslist, and there's a lot to love about both platforms. Android didn't do much for me - I tried it out in an AT&T store on an Infuse and an Atrix and just didn't find it to be as intuitive as BBOS and iOS.
I miss the BB keyboard and notifications. The iPhone USEFUL app selection is impressive - I'm not a fan of the 300,000 pull my finger apps and free adware games, but I have 20+ legitimate, useful apps on my iPhone. Google+ popularity seems to have declined but BB doesn't even have an app for it, just the website. Between the iPhone's better browser (something I've heard BBOS7 remedies) and the better app selection, I can pay every bill I have, right on my phone. I was 3 or 4 bills short when I was using my 9700, and had to log in on my desktop to pay.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com08-17-11 07:27 PM
- i just pulled the trigger on the 9930 online. they listed it at 199. i like the IP4...dont get me wrong. i dropped the 9650 for it. however...i found myself missing the keyboard, the customization options and how email is handled. also...believe it or not...i miss the OS...lol.08-17-11 07:37 PM
- Crucial_XtremeRetired Moderator
As for the browser, it's close. Not quite at same level, but close for sure!! It's been RIM's single best achievement with OS 7.08-17-11 07:45 PMLike 1
- The camera isn't remotely close to producing the quality the i4 does, but it can be made to work decent. That's if you feel a brand new device costing $200 should have to have a workaround camera.
As for the browser, it's close. Not quite at same level, but close for sure!! It's been RIM's single best achievement with OS 7.08-17-11 07:59 PM
- Crucial_XtremeRetired Moderator08-17-11 08:01 PM
- I am obviously a bb fella. But a couple of iPhone friends of mine are planning on switching. The response I've got from everyone I have shown my 9900 to has been very very impressive - everyone is amazed at its ability, style and form factor. Just my 2 bits worth.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com08-17-11 08:41 PM
Also, I think iOS5 comes with its own messaging system to rival BBM.08-17-11 09:04 PM
- The main reason I switched was the keyboard. The iPhone is a great device, but I just realized that after 4 months my kids were playing with it more than I was. I need my phone to help me be productive. I type a lot of text and email messages and I just like the BB better for that. The keyboard is amazing and now that BB has a phone that is pretty quick with the web as well there was no reason for me to not switch. It really is a personal choice and not a matter of which device is better, but a matter of which device is better for me. It's great to be back with BB. It just fits my needs.08-17-11 10:05 PM
- I did yesterday! I'm loving it. I'm not too sure what I didn't like about the iphone 4. But I can tell you the only things I liked about it were zombie gunship and that my credit union had an app. That's it. I guess the user interface wasn't for me. I have the 9930 now and its great.08-17-11 10:09 PM
- iOS5 has a brand new notification system which actually looks pretty good for once...all of your notifications are consolidated on a notification screen which you can slide down from any other screen, plus they're always there on your lock screen. And you just swipe across from any notification to launch the app it comes from. It's actually making me consider the iPhone 5, since notifications were the main reason I took my iPhone 4 back. If the iPhone 5 has a notification LED I am almost sold.
Also, I think iOS5 comes with its own messaging system to rival BBM.08-17-11 10:17 PM
- I ditched my iphone 4.a month before the new phones launched. I had been on an iphone for 3 years now and the iphone 4 just pissed me off in regards to low signal and dropped calls in my house and work. The web browser was awesome and tiny wings but the 9900 browser is just as fast and the phone is super quick. i posted somenpics that i took and am more then happy with them.
So far its a win for me back in BB and being a bes admin its got me more interested in tweaking it
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com08-17-11 11:15 PM
- I'm considering the 9900 also. If one thing pushes me back to blackberry, it will be the little blinky light. I've been using my 9700 on wifi and it feels like my thumbs hurt more than they used too.
I'm curious in seeing how the iPhone 5 blinky light operates. If it's even included. Not a fan of then camera led blinking. I hate having the phone lying it's screen.08-17-11 11:35 PM
- My next phone will highly likely to be a torch 9810.
I have had my iphone 4 for nearly 8 months now, I still can't get used to the virtual keyboard, Chinese is my first language, using virtual keyboard typing Chinese is PITA...ip4's signal sucks, on the highway to my favrorite fishing spot, i used to have 3-4 bar signal on my old bb 8520(RIP), nothing on my ip4 though. And I hate to case my phone, but with ip4 I have to.
My iphone 4 is a jailbroken one, so the system was very unstable, it crashed on me twice during my 8 months ownership. I lost all my contacts...(guess i can't blame the phone for this)
I mainly using my phone to call, text and web browsing, so the new bbs are right phone for me. I have a leica, so to me any phone camera sucks. And I am using alienware laptop, programs is so much better than apps, and the gaming experience is any phone can ever dream of.08-18-11 12:45 AM
- I might be going back to the iPhone 4. I knew the BB app store was worse, but I didn't realize how much worse it really was. There are about 9 apps that I use often that are nonexistent on BB or have terrible equivalents. I could do mobile browser on the BB but seriously, this is 2011 and there should be an app for Chase banking on a business-targeted phone. I'd also would like to not have to keep going to the browser to use the mobile versions, which are definitely worse than the apps in the Apple App Store.
One of them is a very important app that I use daily (as a real estate agent in NYC) that has a laughable equivalent on BB (that I paid $5 for). That one app might seal the deal for me as it makes things just unnecessarily more complicated. The Bing Maps app is also inferior to Google Maps on iPhone 4, which is another one that I use very often. A HUGE advantage that Google Maps has is that it can give directions with also using public transportation (so bus + subway).
I'm going to keep working with what I have available but the app situation is a major negative for BB for me. As much as people like to make fun of Apple's App Store selection of being a lot of games... Apple still has a ton more useful and well-made apps compared to the other app stores (I use Android as well). It still has a lot of junk nonetheless but at least it has apps that other app stores, especially with BB now that I'm seeing, don't have.
That lack of Chase banking app really made me go "Where the **** is it?" I was genuinely surprised to not see it.
I'm a first time BB user, so I will definitely continue using it for at least a week. I love the notifications and how quickly the BB receives email (even though the email app is worse than Apple's in terms of rendering images).
Last edited by Vihzel; 08-18-11 at 03:37 AM.08-18-11 03:25 AM
- I hope this doesn't turn into an iphone is better no 9930 is better thread, but I was just curious if any iphone 4 users are giving it up for a 9930 and if so what didn't you like about the iphone that made you switch! Now for the people that are not switching out their iphone no comment needed .
1. Text messaging and e-mails can be a chore on a full touchscreen device. I also repeatedly hit "o" instead of "i" , "s" instead of "a", and few others just because I don't hit them perfectly.
2. Notifications on the Iphone are flat out annoying and pointless. Annoying is the fact the screen would normally turn on if I got a new text message but, not when I get an e-mail? Also, if I was in the middle of something and I got a text I had no choice but, to read it right then and there and respond to it. This makes the notification numbers pointless as you can't wait. Also, most of the time these notifications don't work for fackebook or many other third party apps.
3. Reception drops if the phone is held wrong. I've been on phone calls and switched hands and suddenly "I can't hear you. . ." "Can you hear me now?"
4. Little to customization. If I didn't like how something worked on the phone I couldn't turn it off. If I wanted to use my music for a text tone or e-mail tone I couldn't unless I jailbroke my device. Making the device work better for me is key.
5. Had to reboot the device just so I could receive emails. Not sure what was going on with this one but, it's a very big negative.
I could go on but, I'll rap up with this. . . The Iphone is in my eyes an MP3 Player with a phone and other smartphone functions built into it. This may sound good but, the core functions of a phone should always come first. Phone calls, reception, etc. Whenever you advertise "There is an app for that" and there really isn't. Not to mention sometimes their notifications rarely work. So for me the Iphone was a horrible pick. Might work for others but, not me and never again.08-18-11 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD