I have had the Bold for 3 years now. Best phone I have ever had.

Well overdue for an upgrade from my carrier and had been holding out for a Classic but from what we have heard so far the specs don't seem great.

I know that it will still be way quicker than the 9900 but I am beginning to wonder if I would get frustrated with it because I would instinctively try to do things with it in the same way I would with the Bold which of course wouldn't work even though the form factor is identical.

Thinking that with the Passport I would have to think about what I was doing for a while until it too became instinctive and that might make the transition so much easier.

The size does bother me to a degree but if it will easily fit into my suit jacket pocket then it ought to be fine.

Decisions, decisions !!!
    08-18-14 06:58 AM
    Still planning to get a Passport for mostly desk service. If dedicating both hands to operating a device, i'll need a desk to set the coffee mug on. Had planned to use Passport as a PlayBook like companion for my future Q20. Sort of reminiscent of the PlayBook and 9900. PassPort's fixed battery wont be an issue when kept at the desk. Expecting that the Q20 will also be fixed battery which is a deal killer for a carry device for me. But PassPort might still offer some utility over my PlayBook even if i keep using the 9900. Gotta gettem in hand to kno.
    08-18-14 01:49 PM
    Hello Legal,
    I think BlackBerry under estimated the needs of the 9900 users. We don't want a Q10 with a tool belt and 2 year old specs. Foxconn is suppose to come out with a cheaper version next year should be around $200 if it is the same pricing as the Z3.

Up until last weekend when I borrowed my grandson's Z10 for 3 days. I didn't care what the Q20 was going to cost. Even with the downfalls of no removable battery, no charging contacts and no ergonomic keyboard. I was willing to live with it. But after a bad experience with BB10 on the media sharing I found the BB10 is not all it is cracked up to be. All I have been hearing is how much better the gesture phone and BB10 is since I joined CB in April. Well if you don't use the phone to play games the OS7 is just fine. The BBM on the 9900 will share multiple Twitter and BBM Channels and FB all in one step. I have since obtained internet in the rural area where I live, so now I'm able to use a real computer instead of my 9900. The desktop is only a week old so there might be an app that will do multiple sharing, I don't know and I really don't want to shell out a bunch of money trying different apps on the desktop to accomplish the same things the 9900 will do.

So for me I'm going to hold out for the Foxconn version, even though I don't like it. Don't let anyone try to convince you the BB10 OS is better than the OS7. The only reason to get away from the 9900 is updated apps.

I think the Passport will make an impact and will be a good phone for you if you don't mind the size. Let us know how it works out and good luck with your new purchase.

As always of course this is my bias option.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 08-19-14 at 08:05 AM.
    08-18-14 07:19 PM
    That's a perfect summarization thank you. If the classic has the same specs and a fixed battery there is no point in choosing it over the bb 9900.also the os 7 still seems to be superior in terms of navigation and abilities.

I really don't understand why bb didn't release an updated BBC 9900 just with better specs.
    08-18-14 08:24 PM
    That's a perfect summarization thank you. If the classic has the same specs and a fixed battery there is no point in choosing it over the bb 9900.also the os 7 still seems to be superior in terms of navigation and abilities.............
    Because "they just don't get it". JC was led down the wrong path by people within BlackBerry that never owned a 9900 for the design and specs. These people thought that OS7 users would jump at a device with a tool belt with BB10 software.

So design and R&D said, "Hey lets just use the Q10 and add a tool belt. Our development cost will only be in the software changes to BB10. We can put this out quickly because we have all these extra parts laying around. By now the qwary users are use to the Q10 so they won't miss the ergonomic key board, removable battery and charging contacts."

......I really don't understand why bb didn't release an updated BBC 9900 just with better specs.
    ROFL, you along the thousands of 9900 users wish for the same thing. A 9900 with quad core, 3g RAM, front and rear camera and a HDMI port. This would make 9900 users happy.

I've said it a thousand times, "9900 users don't want a Q10 with a tool belt." We want a 9900 with the latest hardware and camera, I can live without the HDMI port but it would be nice.

Unless there are major changes the Q20 will fail to bring the majority of OS7 users over. ML/RIM was arrogant when they developed the BB10 devices are they making the same mistake on the Q20? Only time will tell. I hope 6 months from now I can't say "I told you so".

Make the Q20 a quality product and let Foxconn make the cheesy version.
    Carrtman and xanadome like this.
    08-19-14 07:54 AM
    I'm starting a business in the fall, and I'm picking up a 9930 today. Can't wait around for the Classic.

I had a 9930 when it came out. Always liked that smartphone. Need a reliable device to run my new biz, with all the granular notifications and keyboard shortcuts of BBOS.
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    08-28-14 10:24 AM
    I've said it a thousand times, "9900 users don't want a Q10 with a tool belt.
    9900 holdouts are those who know the core functionalities and UI of it very very well, not swayed by apparent fancy shmancy of BB10 (which obviously did not reach the level of iOS/Android by any standard, based on its sales figure).
    There is no doubt that the BB10 is a modern and capable OS platform, and we never argued about it. Java is gone. But knowledgeable people do not buy devices by OS. About the only thing the BB10 does better than the BBOS is the modern browser.
    The attraction of the 99xx lies in its core functionalities and UI, which is NOT the OS, but the PROGRAMMING. I see some people preaching that Bold holdouts do not understand the advantage of the BB10. Well, we do. But evaluating the 99xx by the OS is looking only at the very surface of the issue. People who entered the Blackberry world recently without the real deep experience with the legacy device would never understand why we have been holding onto such an old school and outdated devices (not just texting with Curve).
    The attractions of the legacy UI/functionalities lie in its programming, certainly not the OS, of the convenience features and UI.
    It's hard to explain to the BB10 Brigades but one way to describe its attraction is those "moments of delight", built up in the BBOS over so many years, i.e., convenience feature, so to speak. Just taking a speed dial as an example (one of so many) as it is a very illustrating one. It has absolutely nothing to do with the OS platform. It's a programming that omitted this feature in the early BB10. The current BB10 is still not close to the core functionalities that were perfected in the BBOS. I can fully understand those who say "why did RIM/BBRY not simply transfer the core functionalities/UI of the BBOS into the BB10 platform", which is the accurate and valid argument. Just slapping the tool belt on Q10 is no Bold. In the legacy devices, particularly the Bold line, the physical keyboard was utilized much beyond the mere typing apparatus. Keyboard enabled the macro programming, i.e., true keyboard shortcuts for example (instant calling of application, or speed dial etc). Tool belt enable the true one handed operation. Trackpad enabled the navigation of the screen within a tiny space, rather than sliding & swiping your middle finger all over the screen real estate.

When the Classic and its launch timing (November?) was announced, I thought Chen responded to the question "why so late in launching?" by saying that he had to respond to the concerns by enterprise users who lamented the loss of many legacy UI in the BB10, which would take a bit of time.
    If I interpreted this correctly (with a lot of wishful thinking), and Chen grasped the real issue correctly, the Classic should be more than the Q10 with the tool belt. But it might indeed be the souped up 99xx. Then, we are talking :-). I do not know if it's going to be the 10.3, or some dedicated "Classic" interface which is optimized for the Classic, not a tweaked BB10 that still requires a lot of sliding & swiping all over the screen.
    08-28-14 11:54 AM
    ^^
    Oddly aside from the core functionality of the 99XX I also LIKE the curved frets. The Q10 lacks [imo] the style of curved frets found on the 99XX.
    08-28-14 12:30 PM
    ^^
    Oddly aside from the core functionality of the 99XX I also LIKE the curved frets. The Q10 lacks [imo] the style of curved frets found on the 99XX.
    I always thought that the BB10 qwerty (hence Q10) was an "afterthought" to the Z10 The most simplest form of a keyboard was simply slapped on the Z10, thus dropping so many legacy keyboard features. Q10 was indeed the Z10 with the keyboard with little or no optimization of the gesture-based software suitable for the qwerty device.
    08-28-14 12:43 PM
    Getting the Classic for sure! My 9900 is now over 3 years old! Times flies...
    08-28-14 03:03 PM
    I will keep my 9900. I just use my z10 for games. But am thinking of getting a passport. Depends on battery life. Z10 battery is horrible that is why I went back to 9900. Everyone said that the 9900 battery was horrible, but my 9900 lasts a lot longer than z10. I'll give my z10 to my dad and keep 9900, I just don't like the z10 for my business always plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-14 06:31 PM
    I'll be waiting a while before getting the Classic or Passport (need to test out the classic and passport before making a decision). Only then after getting to know them (if anything changes between announcements and official release to carrier stores) via hands-on use, then I'll know.

Q10 likely then will be sold, bold temporarily and then classic or passport. But removable battery is a must. Can't go without swapping and you cannot yank one out if it gets dunked either.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    emkay47 likes this.
    08-29-14 12:07 AM
    I will keep my 9900. I just use my z10 for games. But am thinking of getting a passport. Depends on battery life. Z10 battery is horrible that is why I went back to 9900. Everyone said that the 9900 battery was horrible, but my 9900 lasts a lot longer than z10. I'll give my z10 to my dad and keep 9900, I just don't like the z10 for my business always plugged in.

Posted via CB10
    I sense maybe the battery is or has worn considerably? I go until my Q10's is so low it forces a powerdown.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-29-14 12:09 AM
38 12