I use Outlook to maintain my contacts and calendar and have been syncing between my desktop and 9900 with Desktop Manager. However since OS2 on the PlayBook I found a piece of software that does a great job syncing them between Outlook and Gmail. Now I'm looking for the BEST way to sync my 9900 with Gmail. I want to be able to primarily use Outlook to maintain them.

In the past when I attempted to do this with my contacts I would get duplicates either on my phone or in Gmail.

There are hundreds of thread about Gmail syncing but I have not search a lot of them so forgive me. I am being lazy today.

TIA
    02-23-12 01:23 PM
    I use Outlook to maintain my contacts and calendar and have been syncing between my desktop and 9900 with Desktop Manager. However since OS2 on the PlayBook I found a piece of software that does a great job syncing them between Outlook and Gmail. Now I'm looking for the BEST way to sync my 9900 with Gmail. I want to be able to primarily use Outlook to maintain them.

In the past when I attempted to do this with my contacts I would get duplicates either on my phone or in Gmail.

There are hundreds of thread about Gmail syncing but I have not search a lot of them so forgive me. I am being lazy today.

TIA
    BIS will sync your contacts and calendar. To make sure it's doing so, go into email Options, Email Account Management, select your Gmail account, and edit. Make sure the boxes are checked for calendar and contacts sync.

If you use the Google Sync app on top of this, you'll get doubles and worse, so don't.

One caution: When you enter postal addresses in your BB, put the entire address in the "Address 1" field. Don't use the other fields at all. Gmail treats addresses as a single chunk of text, and when you use the BB's separate fields, Gmail will tend to chew them up.

BIS sync from device to web is pretty fast, but sync from web to device can take up to four hours.
    02-23-12 01:54 PM
    I was wondering the same thing. I use outlook as my main source. But now with OS 2.0, my PlayBook contacts/calendar automatically sync with gmail.

Found this great article on getting my Bold and PlayBook to sync between gmail and outlook.

Use Gmail to Sync Your PlayBook, Smartphone, and Outlook Contacts & Calendar - BerryReview
    02-23-12 01:59 PM
    When you sync with BIS... you can't do Outlook syncing. Is there a way around this?
    02-23-12 01:59 PM
    BIS will sync your contacts and calendar. To make sure it's doing so, go into email Options, Email Account Management, select your Gmail account, and edit. Make sure the boxes are checked for calendar and contacts sync.

If you use the Google Sync app on top of this, you'll get doubles and worse, so don't.

One caution: When you enter postal addresses in your BB, put the entire address in the "Address 1" field. Don't use the other fields at all. Gmail treats addresses as a single chunk of text, and when you use the BB's separate fields, Gmail will tend to chew them up.

BIS sync from device to web is pretty fast, but sync from web to device can take up to four hours.
    I set it up and had maybe 30% duplicate contacts. Took care of that but I still have 2 calendars, Default and Gmail. All my entries are in the Default calendar and there aren't any in Gmail.

Is there a way to move them and get rid of the default?

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.
    Last edited by EdS817; 02-23-12 at 06:16 PM.
    02-23-12 02:25 PM
    the BEST way to sync is with a BESX Account. (ExchangeMyMail does it for $10 a month)

The second best way is BIS Contacts/Calendar Syncing

I wouldn't use desktop manager
    02-23-12 03:17 PM
    I use gmail to sync my contacts and calendar with my bb and playbook. Since you can have as many calendars as you have email addresses from different domains, just use gmail as your default calendar on your phone and pb

Anything you enter in your gmail calendar on your phone will appear in your pb and vice versa. No need for outlook or DM.
    02-24-12 12:16 AM
    Be warned that there is this situation where Google Sync will duplicate your calendar entries and contacts million times. I ran into this issue and it was a living he'll because for some reason the Download Manager also refuse the delete all the calendar entries from the phone. I had to manually delete them.
    02-24-12 12:22 AM
    Be warned that there is this situation where Google Sync will duplicate your calendar entries and contacts million times. I ran into this issue and it was a living he'll because for some reason the Download Manager also refuse the delete all the calendar entries from the phone. I had to manually delete them.
    Did this happen repeatedly or just once?

Thanks for the info.
    02-24-12 02:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD