Take it to the store and get it replaced because contrary to what some have posted, this is NOT normal behavior. My 9900 did this, and my wife's 9900 and my two son's 9360s did not in the same sunlight. Just got my replacement Bold 9900 last night and it works perfect in direct sunlight. Also I noticed on the replacement that the optical pad has less play in it. So don't accept a defective device, get it replaced under the manufacturers one year warranty from your carrier.
    11-18-11 09:26 AM
    What do you mean by going crazy? It jumps, it laughs, it cries?

Please be more specific to know what do you mean.
    11-18-11 10:42 AM
    The touch(optical) pad use a low intensity infrared. Some of the rays in sun light may create a conflict with the sensor causing a problem in terms of moving around the pointer. (It jumps all over the place when you move your finger on top of the pad.)

However, RIM never said this is a issue because they do not recommend using Blackberries under direct sunlight.
    11-18-11 01:18 PM
    any way to test for this using artificial light?

not much sunlight here
    11-18-11 03:07 PM
    any way to test for this using artificial light?

not much sunlight here
    No sun where u are?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-11 08:21 PM
    No sun where u are?

haha no offense to the initial post, but i laughed at this.
    11-18-11 09:08 PM
    No sun where u are?

Well actually he said "Not much sunlight here" not "No sun here". There's a big difference. But if he had said "No sun here" I would have just thought to myself that maybe he lives at the South Pole or one of those places where they don't get daylight for a few weeks

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-19-11 12:14 AM
    haha no offense to the initial post, but i laughed at this.
    No offense too,try to hit like button on your post but there is no like button on mobile page

cw0974 likes this.
    11-19-11 12:27 AM
    There is a constant overcast next to the coast in SUNNY califfornia, haven't seen the sun sun in days
    11-19-11 11:27 AM
    There is a constant overcast next to the coast in SUNNY califfornia, haven't seen the sun sun in days
    cali with no sun. isn't no sun in cali like 70 degrees with a cool breeze? haha when i visited cali in august, my friend told me to bring a hoodie or a jacket because it gets a bit chilly at night. I went to school in indiana and chilly in cali is good weather in indiana. haha
    11-19-11 10:01 PM
    Take it to the store and get it replaced because contrary to what some have posted, this is NOT normal behavior. My 9900 did this, and my wife's 9900 and my two son's 9360s did not in the same sunlight. Just got my replacement Bold 9900 last night and it works perfect in direct sunlight. Also I noticed on the replacement that the optical pad has less play in it. So don't accept a defective device, get it replaced under the manufacturers one year warranty from your carrier.
    Unfortunately, due to some ***** posting "RIM never said you could use their phones under direct sunlight" I took the issue to be normal and left the phone as is. I am now 2 months over my out-of-box failure return period and cannot get the phone replaced. Any suggestions on what to do? Also, the trackpad seems very sunken into the panel and make it hard to press compared to other bb's. Regardless to say the trackpad SQUEAKS!!! annoyingly. Should I get the tracpad replaced or open up the phone and try to centre it for some reason? Or a software update?? I'm running os. 9900/7.0.0.296.. Struggling to update to .503.. Any suggestions would be helpful. Email me on [email protected] pleeaasseee!!!

11-20-11 10:13 AM
    in that case, you should go to a handset exchange store and get a refurb. there is a warranty not just buyers remorse.
    11-20-11 11:40 AM
    The touch(optical) pad use a low intensity infrared. Some of the rays in sun light may create a conflict with the sensor causing a problem in terms of moving around the pointer. (It jumps all over the place when you move your finger on top of the pad.)

However, RIM never said this is a issue because they do not recommend using Blackberries under direct sunlight.
    My defective 9900 moved all over the place on its own just by change the angle of the phone in the sunlight, and I couldn't type in the sun because the pointer would go into the message and not the typing area. If this was normal behavior then all phones would behave the same. RIM doesn't say you can't use the phone outdoors in the sun, but just keep up with that line of thinking. I'm just glad I have a 9900 that works fine outside now because I got rid of the defective one. If this isn't important to you then that's your prerogative, but the phone not being usable when outdoors in the sun is not normal behavior.

Unfortunately, due to some ***** posting "RIM never said you could use their phones under direct sunlight" I took the issue to be normal and left the phone as is. I am now 2 months over my out-of-box failure return period and cannot get the phone replaced. Any suggestions on what to do? Also, the trackpad seems very sunken into the panel and make it hard to press compared to other bb's. Regardless to say the trackpad SQUEAKS!!! annoyingly. Should I get the tracpad replaced or open up the phone and try to centre it for some reason? Or a software update?? I'm running os. 9900/7.0.0.296.. Struggling to update to .503.. Any suggestions would be helpful. Email me on [email protected] pleeaasseee!!!

Sorry for delay. Mine was past T-Mobile's 14 day window. It is a manufacturer defect and covered by the one year RIM warranty. You should be able to go to your carrier's store, and get it replaced under the warranty. T-Mobile charged me $5 because I have the Assurion warranty, but said it would have been $20 to replace if I hadn't had the extra Warranty. It is no different than the crap trackballs dying on the Blackberry Tour and carriers replacing the phones under warranty. Depending on the store/carrier, you may have to jump through some hoops or go to specific store where they do repairs.
    11-28-11 10:55 AM
    Being from England I'll definitely be ringing up to get my phone replaced if I get this problem during that week in August where we get sunshine.
    11-28-11 01:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD