I was a Galaxy Nexus user, it is a very nice phone... however I am switching to Blackberry due to :

- Galaxy Nexus battery life is quite short (I only get 2 hours screen time every charge, when using 3G and medium screen brightness)
    - I type a lot on my phone
    - Screen is too big to operate by one hand alone (I miss my trackball on Nexus One)
    - I never play any games on it

I ordered a white Blackberry 9900 few days ago. It will be my first Blackberry device.

You guys are all very experienced Blackberry users, but I have no previous experience with Blackberry. So what advices may I get from you on this particular device?

Thank you very much!
    10-20-12 06:37 PM
    Wow the battery life sounda horrible on the nexus.

First thing is to update the OS if you don't have the most recent. Then go thru the settings like any normal phone, look in appworld for all the goodies you need or would miss from the nexus. Link up your email accts.
    hzguo likes this.
    10-20-12 06:47 PM
    Learn all the keyboard shortcuts. The on device help file has lots. But search Google for a more complete guide (which Google will likely find here on the CB forum by the way).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    hzguo likes this.
    10-20-12 07:18 PM
    As already said, you should upgrade to a more recent OS version. If you are on AT&T, you should get their latest version, since some non-AT&T updates seem to have mic issues.
    I'd recommend to go at least with .569, at the moment I'm using .714 and I am very satisfied with it.

Before you do anything though, check your hardware. There seem to be some problems people keep to report. Look for bad aligned trackpad (way too deep sunken into the case) and the four-button plastic bar surrounding the TP. I replaced my first Bold because of this and three other units in the store had exactly the same problems.

You also shouldn't expect miracles out of battery life. While most previous BB are well known for their battery performance, the 99xx is not. You simply can't expect great performance from a rather tiny 1200mAH battery. There is a replacement battery from Mugen which, in theory, should deliver around 20% better performance, reality seems to be around 10-15%.

You might also start reading a bit into options and profile management of OS 7.x. Compared to some other platforms, BBOS seems more overwhelming at first, but also gives you much more detailed controls over certain things. Especially in terms of profiles. There are apps like "Advanced LED and OS" where you can setup stuff for certain events. For example when you get a text from you wife, you can make the notification LED blink in a special pattern. Apps like this actually deepen the already powerful system.

Last but not least you should make sure you contract has the BIS option enabled, otherwise you most likely won't have much fun with your Bold.
    Last edited by Taigatrommel; 10-20-12 at 09:27 PM.
    hzguo likes this.
    10-20-12 09:13 PM
    search youtube for all the tips to make your battery last longer: e.g. phone brightness, memory cleaning, compression, battery saving mode

also download advance os and led free from appworld and enable the device optimiser to run every 6 hours and every 30mins for event log (or longer if you dont frequently use the device and arent therefore building up your event log loads), also download blackberry protect and enable it and once youve set up all your apps and contacts etc on your phone back it up on device manager on your computer so everything is safe. if you like you can look into 1500mah or 1900mah slim batteries to get your phone to last even longer but its not really needed after doing all the battery saving tips as itll easily last you until you get home. i have a 1900mah battery (ssame thickness as the standard bb battery) and battery saving optimised and my phone lasts 40 hours or 24 if using heavily
    hzguo likes this.
    10-20-12 09:20 PM
    + 1 for Advanced OS and LED
    + 1 for extended battery

Have a read of the hybrid forums, if you're feeling adventurous you might want to install one of them! I've heard amazing things from the berrylico.us hybrids.

Too bad I don't have access to a PC.

I'm sure you'll love the 9900!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    hzguo likes this.
    10-20-12 09:47 PM
    +1 for Advanced OS and LED, but I just bought an extra OEM battery at Amazon.com for about $4.00 with free shipping, keep a charged spare with me at all times for cheap. I can usually go all day on a single charge anyway though. Good luck and enjoy!
    hzguo likes this.
    10-20-12 10:21 PM