Ok this is really hard for me to write because I am a HUGE Blackberry fan after owning a Curve 8900 for two years and falling in love with it like no phone I have ever owned before. I just adored that phone.

Anyhow this is where you die hard BB fans can boo and hiss me if you want because after my contract was up on Orange UK I decided to try out the iPhone 4 and, if I missed the Blackberry experience, I would simply sell my iPhone and buy the yet to be released Bold 9900.

Why didn't i stay with a Blackberry? Well at the time of changing it was either the Torch 9800 or the Bold 9870 both of which were soon to be replaced. I didn't want an old phone and I knew the 9900 and the 9810 were coming out a few moths later. And to be honest I just fancied a change and to see if the iPhone was the phone to have. Was all the hype true? I was curious i suppose.

So after owning the iPhone for over six months and seeing the reviews and all the excitement over the Bold 9900 I decided to go for it. By now I was really missing the Blackberry experience. I missed that red blinking light so much! I missed the tactile keyboard. Buttons! I missed buttons!

Now may I just say I also really really loved my iPhone. It was beautiful. It worked beautifully but there was always that bit of me just itching to get back on the BB bandwagon. My addiction was just to much and cold turkey was too much for me.

I had to get a Blackberry. I had to get my fix.

So I bought myself a sim free 9900. Wow! I love this phone! Its so sexy, so tactile, so well made, so professional looking. I was smitten. I thought...use it for a month and then if I was still smitten, sell the iPhone and come back to the good side of the Force.

Sadly this is where things go wrong for me;

1. The battery. Ok it just about lasted most of the day but not as good as the Apple phone. Damn I thought Blackberry was the battery king!

2. Screen size. This is coming from someone who was more than happy with the 8900 screen bear in mind. But after using 3.5 inches the 9900 screen looked so tiny making reading off the web and viewing video not a great experience. Although I have to say the colours on the 9900 were superior to the Iphone.

3. The touch screen experience. Just not as fast or as responsive after using the iPhone. Something thats hard to accept when you consider its processor is, on paper at least, faster than the 800mhz on the iPhone. All I can say is the software must be better on the Apple phone.

4. Why is it that in 2011/2012 after loading an app on a Blackberry do you have to restart the phone? So annoying! Again with the iPhone its just done in an instant. Same with deleting an app. So annoying in this day and age. Again it comes down to the software OS I assume.

5. Google Maps. I use it a lot. Great sofware but on the 9900 no pinch to zoom! What? Serious? Also just not as fluid to use. Poor and jerky animations. It like 2007 compared to 2012. Also GPS. Sometimes instant but often having to wait a couple of minutes. I can't say why.

6. Pananoid about the whole bricking issue. Every time I stuck it on its lovely little charger I wondered would it be like a cabbage and brain dead in the morning! Do we really need this stress after spending �500 on a phone in 2012???

7.The final straw... I installed a well known and used weather app. Then its 5 day trial was up and I didnt really wanted to spend �10 to keep it. Another bug bear...why are Blackberry apps so much more expensive than the Apple one? Anyhow so i deleted the app. Then I had to restart the device Ok fair enough, restart the device. Admittedly boot up times are nnow much faster to be fair. Then disaster!! Halfway through boot up I get the dreaded JVM517!!!!! NOOooooooo!!! As Darth Vader would say! I really couldnt beleive what was happening. How could a �500 phone do this??

To cut a very long story short i finally managed to re-start the device after wiping and re-installing the OS. But I'm really sorry to say that was enough for me. Time to go. So with a heavy heart I sold my beautiful 9900 on Ebay. Now I'm back with my Iphone 4 and to be totally honest I'm happy with it. Ok no red light. No buttons.Notifications not as good. But boy such a delightful device to use. And importantly...it works!

Im really not trying to upset any BB users on here. Im not a Iphone fanboy or troll. I love reading all your comments and posts on here. I love Kevin, he is so great! This is a great community. And I'm really hoping to get myself a new Blackberry London or whatever they end up calling it later in the year, fingers crossed! But despite how much I wanted the 9900 I just couldn't keep it. And I'm really sorry to say that. Because much of what it did and how it did it was fantastic.

Come on RIM don't let us down. Produce a phone which belongs in 2012 not 2008 and one that just works.
    Nashstruck likes this.
    01-07-12 10:26 AM
    No worries, you will be back someday !!! I also owned an iphone4 and loved every 13 months of it but yes I was missing my bb too. And thank god, until now I have no problems with my bold 9900 and I hope I will keep it this way.
    We will see you back someday and for now have lots of fun with your iphone
    Last edited by t3ddie; 01-07-12 at 10:34 AM.
    01-07-12 10:32 AM
    Looks like my 9900 will be going back as well, jumping over to the 4S despite my love of BlackBerry. Poor battery life, constant restarts and second bum BB phone in less than a month, the iPhone is the only other phone I will own.

I'm sorry to say goodbye, I've been an avid BB user for years, but too many problems in a short amount of time. I have an iPhone for work and I've never had a problem with it, here's hoping I have the same luck getting one for personal use.
    01-07-12 03:54 PM
    for me, BB forever!! Love my Playbook bridged to my 8330. Yes, 8330. I returned my 9930 for the crashing. I will be testing the 9850 next.

You may be one of the millions happy with iOS, but I'm a BB fan for life, I hate Apple and their stance against Flash, and hate tinkering with Android.

BB fan until RIM dies!! Goodbye for now.

Time to go to the Apple forums and tell them why I gave my iPad to my 3yo daughter...
    Last edited by cleveland216; 01-07-12 at 05:58 PM.
    01-07-12 05:56 PM
    Ok this is really hard for me to write because I am a HUGE Blackberry fan after owning a Curve 8900 for two years and falling in love with it like no phone I have ever owned before. I just adored that phone.

Anyhow this is where you die hard BB fans can boo and hiss me if you want because after my contract was up on Orange UK I decided to try out the iPhone 4 and, if I missed the Blackberry experience, I would simply sell my iPhone and buy the yet to be released Bold 9900.

Why didn't i stay with a Blackberry? Well at the time of changing it was either the Torch 9800 or the Bold 9870 both of which were soon to be replaced. I didn't want an old phone and I knew the 9900 and the 9810 were coming out a few moths later. And to be honest I just fancied a change and to see if the iPhone was the phone to have. Was all the hype true? I was curious i suppose.

So after owning the iPhone for over six months and seeing the reviews and all the excitement over the Bold 9900 I decided to go for it. By now I was really missing the Blackberry experience. I missed that red blinking light so much! I missed the tactile keyboard. Buttons! I missed buttons!

Now may I just say I also really really loved my iPhone. It was beautiful. It worked beautifully but there was always that bit of me just itching to get back on the BB bandwagon. My addiction was just to much and cold turkey was too much for me.

I had to get a Blackberry. I had to get my fix.

So I bought myself a sim free 9900. Wow! I love this phone! Its so sexy, so tactile, so well made, so professional looking. I was smitten. I thought...use it for a month and then if I was still smitten, sell the iPhone and come back to the good side of the Force.

Sadly this is where things go wrong for me;

1. The battery. Ok it just about lasted most of the day but not as good as the Apple phone. Damn I thought Blackberry was the battery king!

2. Screen size. This is coming from someone who was more than happy with the 8900 screen bear in mind. But after using 3.5 inches the 9900 screen looked so tiny making reading off the web and viewing video not a great experience. Although I have to say the colours on the 9900 were superior to the Iphone.

3. The touch screen experience. Just not as fast or as responsive after using the iPhone. Something thats hard to accept when you consider its processor is, on paper at least, faster than the 800mhz on the iPhone. All I can say is the software must be better on the Apple phone.

4. Why is it that in 2011/2012 after loading an app on a Blackberry do you have to restart the phone? So annoying! Again with the iPhone its just done in an instant. Same with deleting an app. So annoying in this day and age. Again it comes down to the software OS I assume.

5. Google Maps. I use it a lot. Great sofware but on the 9900 no pinch to zoom! What? Serious? Also just not as fluid to use. Poor and jerky animations. It like 2007 compared to 2012. Also GPS. Sometimes instant but often having to wait a couple of minutes. I can't say why.

6. Pananoid about the whole bricking issue. Every time I stuck it on its lovely little charger I wondered would it be like a cabbage and brain dead in the morning! Do we really need this stress after spending �500 on a phone in 2012???

7.The final straw... I installed a well known and used weather app. Then its 5 day trial was up and I didnt really wanted to spend �10 to keep it. Another bug bear...why are Blackberry apps so much more expensive than the Apple one? Anyhow so i deleted the app. Then I had to restart the device Ok fair enough, restart the device. Admittedly boot up times are nnow much faster to be fair. Then disaster!! Halfway through boot up I get the dreaded JVM517!!!!! NOOooooooo!!! As Darth Vader would say! I really couldnt beleive what was happening. How could a �500 phone do this??

To cut a very long story short i finally managed to re-start the device after wiping and re-installing the OS. But I'm really sorry to say that was enough for me. Time to go. So with a heavy heart I sold my beautiful 9900 on Ebay. Now I'm back with my Iphone 4 and to be totally honest I'm happy with it. Ok no red light. No buttons.Notifications not as good. But boy such a delightful device to use. And importantly...it works!

Im really not trying to upset any BB users on here. Im not a Iphone fanboy or troll. I love reading all your comments and posts on here. I love Kevin, he is so great! This is a great community. And I'm really hoping to get myself a new Blackberry London or whatever they end up calling it later in the year, fingers crossed! But despite how much I wanted the 9900 I just couldn't keep it. And I'm really sorry to say that. Because much of what it did and how it did it was fantastic.

Come on RIM don't let us down. Produce a phone which belongs in 2012 not 2008 and one that just works.
    Every part that you hate about blackberry is well justified. This is because the dual-core ceo's simply liced off the fat and didn't care much about the mainstream user. As way-too-late as it is for os7 the dual-core ceo's never had a plan to improve os4.2 because they were so successful (os5 should have been what os7 is today at latest). As a result the current os7 is a product that has been rushed to the market. So every unnecessary flaw in os7/hardware is the result of the dual-core ceo's neglect to "listen" what the customer wanted and neglect to forsee mobile market treands. Expect 2012 to be even worse than 2011.
    01-07-12 06:08 PM
    good luck with your iphone, i had this feeling a way back when they released a refreshed 9700 which had better specs and i switch to iphone 3GS at the time and was extremely happy with it until 3 weeks later, after that i went to the first samsung galaxy s phone! (worst investment ever!) i had spent 425 for a sealed box on ebay and few months after that the resell value plummeted! and finally went back to blackberry and it just feel like a match. that is just my experience anyways
    01-07-12 06:09 PM
    This is one of those posts that leaves me feeling :"who cares?" To each his/her own I guess, but why do some have the seemingly irresistable urge to post stuff like this? I mean, I truly hope that you're happy with whatever device that you use .... truly. And I am not meaning to disrespect anyone, but, seriously, who cares?
    01-07-12 06:12 PM
    This is one of those posts that leaves me feeling :"who cares?" To each his/her own I guess, but why do some have the seemingly irresistable urge to post stuff like this? I mean, I truly hope that you're happy with whatever device that you use .... truly. And I am not meaning to disrespect anyone, but, seriously, who cares?
    i think he/she just wanted to voice their opinion or perhaps to be convinced to stay with the bold.

just my guess
    01-07-12 06:14 PM
    I have the Iphone 4S and BB 9900, can't part with either of them. However, when the 9790 arrives in the mail later this week, the 9900 is in serious danger of being placed on E-Bay. But, wait, having said that, I just don't think I can let the 9900 go, I'll just have to hide it in my sock drawer so the missus doesn't find it..........
    01-07-12 07:18 PM
    I have the Iphone 4S and BB 9900, can't part with either of them. However, when the 9790 arrives in the mail later this week, the 9900 is in serious danger of being placed on E-Bay. But, wait, having said that, I just don't think I can let the 9900 go, I'll just have to hide it in my sock drawer so the missus doesn't find it..........
    Hide it in your sock drawer.......
    01-07-12 07:22 PM
    01-07-12 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD