Will the 9930 run HSPA+ on VZW's network. I know HSPA+ is GSM and VZW network is CDMA, no need to inform me of that. What I am wondering is whether or not this phone will be able to use VZW's 4G network at all. I know VZW's 4G network is LTE, but does that mean we wont be able to receive any HSPA+ signals through it?
    06-03-11 06:22 AM
    I think most HSPA+ based companies will go with 9900 not 9930. I may be wrong... Telus used to be a CDMA network here in Canada and now they are all on HSPA+. It seems like Telus will go with 9900 not 9930.

I am not sure either. This thing is confusing. 9700 is soooo much easier in terms of confusion because it works for all the carriers.
    06-03-11 07:35 AM
    Will the 9930 run HSPA+ on VZW's network. I know HSPA+ is GSM and VZW network is CDMA, no need to inform me of that. What I am wondering is whether or not this phone will be able to use VZW's 4G network at all. I know VZW's 4G network is LTE, but does that mean we wont be able to receive any HSPA+ signals through it?
    No the 9930 will not run on Verizon's 4G (LTE) network. That network is a different frequency (700 mhz) altogether from what HSPA+ GSM uses.
    06-03-11 08:07 AM
    I thought the Bold 9930 dual band CDMA and GSM (for use in Europe where the HSPA+ actually 3.5G would be used)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 04:38 PM
    VZW does not use HSPA+ on there network, they support LTE. In order for the BB 9930 to use the LTE network it will have to have a LTE Radio in it. The BB 9900 for GSM might have the HSPA+ Radio since HSPA+ is a GSM Service.
    06-08-11 04:46 PM
    Not gonna happen. HSPA+ is only for T-Mo and ATT

Sorry sir/ma'am.

06-08-11 05:39 PM
    Not gonna happen. HSPA+ is only for T-Mo and ATT

Sorry sir/ma'am.

You make it sound like America has the corner on HSPA+, thats not the case and the CDMA version uses GSM for world roaming. Its a valid question as to the posibility of faster data speeds while roaming outside the US on a CDMA device. Verizon is way ahead of the world on LTE deployment so HSPA would be quite possible over a slower 2g/3g roaming radio.
    06-08-11 06:45 PM
    Well, the question still hasn't been answered. The VZW Bold 9930 also supports GSM standard. From the Verizon Website:
    "Customers must activate pre-installed SIM Card and a Global Service plan or feature to enable roaming outside of the U.S. in GSM and UMTS Network."

There's also this stat that states the phone will have dual band HSDPA on VZW for roaming, vs the TMO variant (9900) with tri-band HSDPA.

And this picture

from this link:Blackberry Bold 9900 VS 9930 Comparison | Best Blackberry

What I personally would iike to do is purchase the 9930 outright and unlock it to use it on my current TMO plan. Then if the AT&T purchase of TMO goes through, I can just swap to VZW without paying to break my TMO contract and, most importantly, without having to purchase a second phone (1st 9900 on TMO, 2nd 9930 on VZW). (There is NO WAY in HE11 I'll stay under AT&T ownership).

I just don't know if I'm reading all the technical stuff right or not. Would I be able to purchase the VZW 9930, unlock it, and have HSPA+ access on TMO with my current TMO BB Plan?
    Last edited by SupraTico; 08-17-11 at 10:17 AM.
    08-17-11 10:12 AM
    Yes, you can but a 9930, unlock it, and use it on T-Mobile. However, you'll only get EDGE (2G) speeds. AT&T and T-Mobile in the United States use different frequencies for 3G (HSDPA[+]) than the rest of the world. Your 9930 will not recognize the domestic 3G GSM signal , only overseas 3G GSM signal. Sorry.
    08-17-11 10:18 AM
    The 9930's GSM data runs on HSPA,not HSPA+. To run HSPA+("4"G) you'll need the Bold 9900.
    08-17-11 10:23 AM
    Sorry ST, but your plan will not work. The Verizon model does NOT have the required frequencies for 3G/4G in the US, it only has the Euro frequencies, THAT is the difference, between Tri-Band and Dual-Band. The same will apply to a Sprint 9930. ALSO a Canadian 9900 won't work for you either as THAT doesn't have the Tmobile frequency either. You are going to need a Tmobile branded 9900 in order to get the 3G/4G. Now if you are willing to live with EDGE, and can survive with wifi connections and such, then maybe you could do the 9930 from Verizon, BUT you are only going to get the H+ if you travel to Europe.
    08-17-11 10:26 AM
    Yes, you can but a 9930, unlock it, and use it on T-Mobile. However, you'll only get EDGE (2G) speeds. AT&T and T-Mobile in the United States use different frequencies for 3G (HSDPA[+]) than the rest of the world. Your 9930 will not recognize the domestic 3G GSM signal , only overseas 3G GSM signal. Sorry.
    I thought Verizon(not sure about Sprint) had blocked all AT&T and T-MobileUSA SIM cards for use in the US,even on their unlocked World Phones.
    08-17-11 10:27 AM
    I went to mobilespeedtest.com, did the 7MB test and got 14.2mbps download speed. Im in NYC with AT&T.
    08-17-11 10:33 AM
    Hummm.... lol you guys all just sank my battleship

Thanks for the quick replies though!
    08-17-11 11:51 AM
    I've been using an unlocked VZW 9930 on ATT and it runs EDGE ONLY. I went to T-Mo and asked the rep to lend me a SIM that I could pop into the phone to check the signals it caught.

Again - EDGE.

To summarize; 9930 wont run on any US HSPA networks. You'll need to travel out to make that happen (as my crackberry colleagues have already pointed out here)

Hope this helps.
    08-30-11 03:45 PM
    I just tried that mobilespeedtest.com site and it performed pretty well on Sprint's network.
    08-30-11 05:31 PM
    I'm currently in the middle-east and on Friday will roam on Jordan's Zain or Orange networks; both have HSPA+ "3.75G" technology now. I'll let you all know if I get "H+" or just 3G (which my 9650 displayed). Does this pick up additional UMTS/HSPA+ bands the 9650 did not?
    08-31-11 10:45 AM
    I just tried that mobilespeedtest.com site and it performed pretty well on Sprint's network.
    That test doesn't work on a BlackBerry for testing your network speed, as data is going through RIM's servers not via your network.

Also, yours didn't perform that well

08-31-11 11:36 AM
    ...or doesn't display it at least. While roaming on Zain-Jordan with the preloaded VZ/vodafone sim inside my 9930, it only displayed the standard "3G" with blackberry logo, no H+. When I popped the SIM into an Android, that had an "H" next to the signal strength/data activity status. I didn't try using a local Zain SIM, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference
    09-08-11 10:16 AM
    ...or doesn't display it at least. While roaming on Zain-Jordan with the preloaded VZ/vodafone sim inside my 9930, it only displayed the standard "3G" with blackberry logo, no H+. When I popped the SIM into an Android, that had an "H" next to the signal strength/data activity status. I didn't try using a local Zain SIM, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference
    excuse may i ask u something... when u came to jordan, u said that u got the 3g sign right? but my question is that did u recieve/exchange data while u where there in the presence of the 3g sign!? i really need to know plz thanx in advance
    09-08-11 07:43 PM
    excuse may i ask u something... when u came to jordan, u said that u got the 3g sign right? but my question is that did u recieve/exchange data while u where there in the presence of the 3g sign!? i really need to know plz thanx in advance
    Yes, my 9930 was switched to GSM mode with the Verizon/Vodafone roaming SIM card. I use both Zain and Orange while roaming in Jordan and both networks register in UMTS "3G" mode on my phone...data worked very well (and was faster on Zain I think)
    09-26-11 01:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD