How safe is it to keep charging the phone before the battery is dead?

I remember someone told me once that the best way to prolong the battery life is to only charge it when it finally dies. I notice the 9900 doesn't have spectacular battery power, so i usually charge at my work comp when it is at 50 or 60% because i need it to make it thru the evening, in case i go out, etc.

Typically i only charge it when its dead because my old BB Bold 9780 use to last 2 days, but the 9900 doesnt last more than 12 hours.

Anyone know?
    11-01-11 01:57 PM
    It's actually better to not let a lithium ion batter fully drain. You'll see no adverse affects of charging the batter whenever you want to. My phones (and tablets) get plugged in every night. Two year old phones still have about the same life as a new phone.

At other times my phone or tablet will be off and on the charger throughout the day.

Older batteries used to have a "memory", and if you charged them before fully drained.
    11-01-11 02:07 PM
    So is it no problem to have the phone connected the entire day? This won't affect the lifespan of the battery?
    11-01-11 02:16 PM
    It's no problem to keep a Li Ion battery topped off.
    11-01-11 02:22 PM
    So is it no problem to have the phone connected the entire day? This won't affect the lifespan of the battery?
    I would say it doesn't matter at all. I charged my 9700 whenever, over night, all day, depending if I was around my charger or not, and never had any issues with the battery or had it die unexpectedly/die quicker than usual. Charge as you please.
    11-01-11 02:28 PM
    My understanding is that it is OK to charge the Li-ion battery at any time, and you should not flatten it totally.

When you do start charging, it is best to keep it charging until the battery is totally full again - a partial re-charge is to be avoided if you can.
    11-01-11 06:22 PM
    Not like Ni-Cd batteries Li-ion and Li-polymer batteries should be charged regularly before they hit the lowest amount of power. I always change when the battery hit around 30%
    11-01-11 06:34 PM
    Years ago Lithium-Ion batteries could take damage from "over-charging," but now they are 'smart' enough to switch off and on to maintain that final percentage. In other words, your phone will basically stay at 100% and stop any excess time on the charger from damaging the battery.
    11-01-11 06:47 PM
    Not like Ni-Cd batteries Li-ion and Li-polymer batteries should be charged regularly before they hit the lowest amount of power. I always change when the battery hit around 30%
    I do the same thing and my battery doesn't hit 30% until late night usually. Right now at 9:15pm it is at 56% (moderate use today) .
    11-01-11 10:45 PM
    Depends also how much you use your phone and wich applications.
    11-01-11 11:16 PM
    For a better batteries life,left the phone batteries to die,then charge it.that's the best way.don't charge your phone all day long,3-4 hours is enough.and dont charge it when batteries life is 50-60.just when is 5-10.
    11-01-11 11:18 PM
    My understanding is that it is OK to charge the Li-ion battery at any time, and you should not flatten it totally.

When you do start charging, it is best to keep it charging until the battery is totally full again - a partial re-charge is to be avoided if you can.
    This.

Constant plugging/unplugging will cause long-term wear quicker.
    11-02-11 12:05 AM
    False, it is not good for a Li-Ion battery to wait until the battery is completely dead.
    David Tyler likes this.
    12-10-15 10:09 AM
    Years ago Lithium-Ion batteries could take damage from "over-charging," but now they are 'smart' enough to switch off and on to maintain that final percentage. In other words, your phone will basically stay at 100% and stop any excess time on the charger from damaging the battery.
    When your phone (well -- either of my phones, Passport SE or 9900, anyway) gets fully charged, the little flashing lightning bolt on the battery goes away. I always assumed that meant charging had ceased.
    12-10-15 11:17 AM
    For a better batteries life,left the phone batteries to die,then charge it.that's the best way.don't charge your phone all day long,3-4 hours is enough.and dont charge it when batteries life is 50-60.just when is 5-10.
    That's not correct: "Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. "

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    sedalia066 likes this.
    12-10-15 11:20 AM
    It's actually better to not let a lithium ion batter fully drain.
    That is correct -- see my other post, complete with link.
    sedalia066 likes this.
    12-10-15 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD