I read a recent blog on Inside BlackBerry (The Official BlackBerry Blog) that shows exactly how useful and customizable NFC technology can be on a BlackBerry 9900/9930 (or any other NFC-enabled device):

While the tasks that are demonstrated in the YouTube video are not necessarily rocket science, it clearly shows that you can automate virtually "any" repetitive tasks on your NFC-enabled BlackBerry using some inexpensive NFC tokens and two relatively inexpensive utilities from Fonware Ltd (Fonware Ltd. - Flash), namely NFCShortcuts (Buy NFCShortcuts - Download NFCShortcuts - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World) and ShortcutMe (Buy ShortcutMe - Download ShortcutMe - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World):

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2VSpTeiCNY&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

The rest is up to your imagination!
    Last edited by visortgw; 04-19-12 at 12:58 PM.
    Ebanfr and Crusader ss like this.
    04-19-12 10:42 AM
    The person in youtube movie doesn't say that he is using NFCShortcuts and macros in ShortcutMe application. That is odd.
    04-26-12 09:39 AM
    The person in youtube movie doesn't say that he is using NFCShortcuts and macros in ShortcutMe application. That is odd.
    Probably because it has become so natural to him -- the two apps are now part of his operating environment. BTW, the asscoiated blog does, in fact, mention the two apps.
    Vijik likes this.
    04-26-12 09:47 AM
    Probably because it has become so natural to him -- the two apps are now part of his operating environment. BTW, the asscoiated blog does, in fact, mention the two apps.
    You are right. He is probably so used to use those apps that he didn't mention it when he filmed it.

The youtube clip has now more than 6000 viewers, not sure if all of those who saw the clip have also seen the blog where the apps are mentioned.
    04-27-12 02:02 PM
    to me it seems easier to just click on the stuff on your phone and make it happen. Having those tags stuck to stuff is not very appealing. I am pretty sure I can turn my bluetooth on as fast as he did. But the nice deal with that is if I forgot to do it when I get in then doing it while driving would be easier and safer I guess. The flashlight in hallway Seems it takes a bit longer then a quick pass to make it happen. Interesting just not sure how I would personally make use of it.
    04-27-12 04:25 PM
    You could turn on your Bluetooth as quickly, but when I get into my car, I could either be using my headset or my in-car bluetooth, which always wants to connect 1st, even when I want to use my headset. This avoids that issue and would save me time and I wouldn't have to even touch my phone.
    04-27-12 05:40 PM
    With those two apps, (I haven't used them, maybe one day in the future I will) and NFC, the possibilities are endless.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com using Tapatalk
    04-28-12 04:46 AM
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RapidNFC-Tri...bUvbUpU7356724

Seen these today, might get them so that I can take full use of NFC on my 9900. Not Prime eligible though...
    04-28-12 06:39 AM
    I found the following from a web page showing what NFC tags BlackBerry OS supports:

The following types of tags have been tested by RIM and are known to work. This is not a full and exhaustive list however. Tags which comply with the appropriate NFC Forum standards should work in theory. If in doubt, test.

NFC Forum Type

Supported Tags

Type 1

Topaz 96
    Topaz 512

Type 2

MiFare Ultra Light
    MiFare Ultra Light C
    Infineon my-D Move
    Infineon my-D NFC
    Kovio 2K

Type 3

FeliCa RC-S965
    FeliCa RC-S888

Type 4

MiFare DESFire EV1 (2k, 4k, 8k)
    MicroPass 4101-2K

Note that MiFare DESFire EV1 tags must be pre-formatted before they can be used with a BlackBerry smart phone.
    NFC Developer FAQ - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    06-11-12 10:11 PM
    For those who haven't got NFCShortcuts yet:

NFCShortcuts app is on sale today (%66 off), selling for $0.99
    07-06-12 08:52 PM
    Very, very cool.
    07-06-12 09:26 PM
    I agree. I'm liking this.
    07-06-12 10:28 PM
    That's kinda cool !!
    I'd love to have that at my apartment lol
    Hope NFC will become big asap.