I found this info after doing lots of research on internet and I can confirm that it works.

As some might know, as soon as T-Mobile pushed the 7.1 update to their phones they also started charging money for it. If you did not have feature included and tried to browse internet you were simply taken to a page that said that you do not have Mobile Hotspot included and gave you the option to enable it for extra $15 a month.

Then I found out that all new and existing customers that have Unlimited data plans with 5GB and 10GB high speed data qualify to have Mobile Hotspot included at no extra cost. All you have to do is to call T-Mobile and ask them about this offer. I tried this myself, took about 25 minutes on the phone with T-Mo, and I can confirm now that my Mobile Hotspot works again and my bill is the same as before.

If you have 2GB data plan they will ask you to upgrade it to 5GB for extra $10.

To save yourself from hassle of trying to explain what you want exactly, simply say that you want Premium 5GB SMHS Classic

From what I know this is a limited time offer so you might want to act fast!
    Last edited by marcin.warmuz; 03-11-12 at 12:57 AM.
    jordan559 likes this.
    03-10-12 11:09 PM
    I get 5g and Hotspot at $9/month. Just ask.
    You mean you pay $9 for both data and Mobile Hotspot?
    03-11-12 08:05 AM
    Like kellyjdrummer said, unless your plan already includes tethering like the Telus plan I have, you won't be able to use wifi hotspot because it is service book dependent feature.
    03-11-12 08:08 AM
    Like kellyjdrummer said, unless your plan already includes tethering like the Telus plan I have, you won't be able to use wifi hotspot because it is service book dependent feature.
    Oh yes I understand that, what I described here works only on US T-Mobile. To be perfectly honest T-Mobile has history of having those little features included at no extra charge, another example being UMA calling which comes in handy when going overseas. That is why I was surprised to see that they want to charge $15 for Mobile Hotspot.
    03-11-12 08:13 AM
    No, I pay for the 5g plan but because of that I get the hotspot and tethering ability for $9/month, and my tenure with T-Mobile since day one gives me an added edge.

5g for $30, Hotspot for $9. As good as it gets.
    I am pretty sure you could call and ask to have to $9 fee waived. I called just yesterday and basically I went from having 5GB data plan only to having 5GB data plan with tethering and Mobile Hotspot at no extra change. Which means I paid $30 a month before and now I pay still $30. This is limited time offer and T-Mo reps are not allowed to mention it to you and proporse such feature unless you know about it and request it. Try
    03-11-12 08:24 AM
    Honestly, it's no big deal. $9=.30 a day is not a deal breaker, but good for you.
    Happy to hear that you're happy with your plan. For someone like me though that uses this feature ocasionally having this feature for free is nice. Before I knew about it I was being blocked out and asked to add it for $15 a month but I didn't becuase I figured it is not worth paying for something that I barely use on daily basis.
    03-11-12 08:33 AM
    What happens if you get the OS update from Crackberry instead of a provider? Would it work on the provider's network? I'd rather avoid the provider's update if possible. Get tired of all the expense. Right now I'm on a prepay that is half the cost of the othe plan I had. Getting a new Bold 9900 that I bought outright. Trying to save the extra $600 a year in plans. I'm not much of a web surfer on the phone probably would only need once in a while. My prepay plan has 200 mb data a month and unlimited voice & texting. That suits my use nicely even with the Bold. Didn't get it yet but should be here by the end of the week. Right now I'm using my Samsung Slider phone. I use my laptop for surfing.

Any advice is appreciated.
    03-11-12 01:23 PM
    I found this info after doing lots of research on internet and I can confirm that it works.

As some might know, as soon as T-Mobile pushed the 7.1 update to their phones they also started charging money for it. If you did not have feature included and tried to browse internet you were simply taken to a page that said that you do not have Mobile Hotspot included and gave you the option to enable it for extra $15 a month.

Then I found out that all new and existing customers that have Unlimited data plans with 5GB and 10GB high speed data qualify to have Mobile Hotspot included at no extra cost. All you have to do is to call T-Mobile and ask them about this offer. I tried this myself, took about 25 minutes on the phone with T-Mo, and I can confirm now that my Mobile Hotspot works again and my bill is the same as before.

To save yourself from hassle of trying to explain what you want exactly, simply say that you want Premium 5GB SMHS Classic

I just called T-Mobile and I have the Small Business Value plan which has 1,000 minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited data and they say that plan doesn't qualify and it would cost $10 per month extra.

What they did say is that they can add and remove the feature as needed so, for example, if you are traveling for 7 days and need the feature it would only cost about $2.50.
    03-11-12 03:04 PM
    I just called T-Mobile and I have the Small Business Value plan which has 1,000 minutes + unlimited texts + unlimited data and they say that plan doesn't qualify and it would cost $10 per month extra.

What they did say is that they can add and remove the feature as needed so, for example, if you are traveling for 7 days and need the feature it would only cost about $2.50.
    Maybe the offer doesn't include Business Plans. Or you have only 2GB unlimited plan then they will ask you to upgrade to 5GB which is exactly $10 more ($20 vs $30).
    Last edited by marcin.warmuz; 03-11-12 at 03:15 PM.
    03-11-12 03:07 PM
    What happens if you get the OS update from Crackberry instead of a provider? Would it work on the provider's network? I'd rather avoid the provider's update if possible. Get tired of all the expense. Right now I'm on a prepay that is half the cost of the othe plan I had. Getting a new Bold 9900 that I bought outright. Trying to save the extra $600 a year in plans. I'm not much of a web surfer on the phone probably would only need once in a while. My prepay plan has 200 mb data a month and unlimited voice & texting. That suits my use nicely even with the Bold. Didn't get it yet but should be here by the end of the week. Right now I'm using my Samsung Slider phone. I use my laptop for surfing.

Any advice is appreciated.
    It doesn't matter if you get an update from Crackberry site instead of you carrier; they are exactly the same. It really depends on kind of service books that carrier is pushing to your phone. Anyway, I don't think that Mobile Hotspot is availiable with pre-paid plan especially 200 MB one. It is worth trying though
    03-11-12 03:13 PM
    Maybe the offer doesn't include Business Plans. Or you have only 2GB unlimited plan then they will ask you to upgrade to 5GB which is exactly $10 more ($20 vs $30).
    Perhaps, but I am traveling it would be just as easy to call them and change my data plan to Android where I get the tethering feature free. I just wish there was an easier way to switch between BB and Android then back since I do it so often.
    03-11-12 03:25 PM
    Honestly, it's no big deal. $9=.30 a day is not a deal breaker, but good for you.
    It's also $108 per year you might could save... That's half of a new phone. Two years pays for your upgrade.
    03-11-12 03:46 PM
    What I have never understood about this is why should I have to pay T-Mobile for hotspot on BlackBerry when it is free on T-Mobile on my Androids?

When I need hotspot I have to call them, change the data plan to Android, change over the SIM to an Android phone, wait a few minutes then I have hotspot data on the same number.
    03-11-12 06:11 PM

Thanks for the info. Just took my sister who has a 9900 and they set it up for her.
    03-11-12 07:42 PM
    Yeah I did this about 3 months ago when it was a 3-4 day promotion. I had just added the hotspot feature for $15 when I found out about the promotion so I called up T-Mobile and had it switched over (after arguing with one of the less-CS savvy reps). I ended up with the free hotspot and 5GB cloud storage on mytmobile. For all their perceived shortcomings, T-mobile really is an awesome service provider and I'm still elated that they didn't get swallowed up by Afee&fee. Lol. Been a proud customer for a Decade and I have no plans of changing that.
    03-11-12 07:47 PM

GREAT POST!

Thanks, I just did this. I am on the Unlimited Value Plan 2GB and upgraded to 5GB, she said it was $15, no biggie, Upgraded data and mobile hotspot. Cant complain!

Thanks again

marcin.warmuz
    03-14-12 09:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD