transfer all my data from my existing curve 8520 to a Bold 9900?.

Im on pay as you go with Orange in UK and am looking to buy a new Bold 9900 and carry on as payg.

How easy is it for me to switch over with minimum fuss / hassle?

Also, how easy is it to stop email going to my curve if and when i take the plunge for the Bold.

Im guessing the move for the Bold will be highly recommended here?

Thanks
    09-09-11 12:51 PM
    Back up the 8520 on DM and restore on 9900. After the carrier activates the 9900 and deactivates the 8520, no more email on the curve. It'll go to the new device.

And yes, the 9900 will run circles around the 8520. You'll be amazed!
    09-09-11 01:07 PM
    Thanks for fast response.

As simple as that?.

There will be no problem effectively adding a back up to a 'new' phone.

I would expect to hit numerous problems. Is that part of the advantage of switching between Blackberrys?.

I will just basically see all me existing features / files on a new handset and once i have spoke to Orange they will sort the email?.

Almost seems to good to be true.

I need to get my finger out and go and buy one of these incredible machines!, was just hoping the price might drop alittle.
    09-09-11 01:12 PM
    There is actually a Device Switch Wizard built into Desktop Manager that will manage this entire process for you. I had all my wife's information copied from her old 9700 to her new 9900 in about a half-hour.
    09-09-11 01:20 PM
    Thanks for fast response.

As simple as that?.

There will be no problem effectively adding a back up to a 'new' phone.

I would expect to hit numerous problems. Is that part of the advantage of switching between Blackberrys?.

I will just basically see all me existing features / files on a new handset and once i have spoke to Orange they will sort the email?.

Almost seems to good to be true.

I need to get my finger out and go and buy one of these incredible machines!, was just hoping the price might drop alittle.
    You should have no problems making this transition. I just did it moving my info to my 9930 from my Storm 2. Flawless....

Good Luck!
    09-09-11 01:26 PM
    There is nothing i need to look out for or be careful of?
    09-09-11 01:29 PM
    The Device Switch Wizard is straightforward and pretty much fool proof. Make sure to do at least one good backup first.
    09-09-11 02:09 PM
    There is nothing i need to look out for or be careful of?
    Connect your old phone to your computer via USB cable. Open Desktop Manager and click "Device Switch" it will then proceed to make a backup of your phone and will prompt you to unplug your old phone and plug in your new phone. After that the process will continue and will let you know when its done. At some point it will ask you if you want to transfer over 3rd party apps. You should tell it "no" as most likely they will not be compatible with the 9900 and may cause problems and other things with your new phone... you dont want that. Anyway simple as that! Hope this helps. If I did help, clickem mah Thanks buttons!
    newtothisthing likes this.
    09-09-11 02:16 PM
    And the email swapping over is done simply by Orange?

What exactly do they do? Something with the service books?
    09-09-11 03:45 PM
    If you don't already have a Blackberry ID (from using App World), you may want to set yourself up with a BlackBerry ID beforehand. It may make the transition a little easier, because you will definitely need a BlackBerry ID on the 9900.
    09-09-11 04:57 PM
    I would go with the response the DannyJK gave you because nobody else thought to tell you that most if not all any 3rd party apps or themes you have on the curve are likely not going to be compatible with the 9900 OS and if you try and move those over and some or all get moved but don't work you are opening yourself up to problems.

I would just switch your contacts and possibly even the Micro SD card if you have anything on that.

Personally I would get a new card, format it in the phone, take everything off the old one using a card reader with your PC and then replace the old card with the new in the reader and then place all your media on the new card and place it in the Bold. That is it and the safest thing to do in your case once you get your new phone. This and what Danny mentioned will put you in good shape.
    DILIP JAGAD likes this.
    09-10-11 12:50 PM
    And the email swapping over is done simply by Orange?

What exactly do they do? Something with the service books?
    Use the email setup on the new device and set it up yourself or when you go to the carrier just ask them to move over your contacts and set up your email for you and nothing else.
    09-10-11 12:51 PM
    If i taught my neice to read and how to use a computer she could do it. she's 3 so its that easy. Just go into dm and click on device switch and follow the prompts.
    09-10-11 03:01 PM
    THANKS
    I WAS WONDERING TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE OF TRANSFER OF DATA FROM 8520 TO 9900

THANKS AGAIN
    DILIP JAGAD
    01-04-13 06:03 AM
    Its plug and play after seeing the description!!!!
    Amazingly simple
    dilip
    01-04-13 06:04 AM
    device transfer wizard. its gold.
    01-04-13 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD