Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default How does a carrier know my phone type?

I currently use the Verizon network. So I'm just curious , how do they know what type of phone I have? See I used to have a basic phone plan with a basic phone, but now I have a BB and they are trying to charge me a premium data plan, which I do not need. Now they are charging me more money. How did Verizon know I had a BB? Is there a way to block there visibility? Because this seems very intrusive on their part.
    Between Realities

Global Posts
    12,052 Global Posts

Default Re: How does a carrier know my phone type?

Quote Originally Posted by ipmaham View Post
    I currently use the Verizon network. So I'm just curious , how do they know what type of phone I have? See I used to have a basic phone plan with a basic phone, but now I have a BB and they are trying to charge me a premium data plan, which I do not need. Now they are charging me more money. How did Verizon know I had a BB? Is there a way to block there visibility? Because this seems very intrusive on their part.
    Device ID, type of data transmission, etc... there are several ways VZW can find out.

To be fair, while one could argue the ethics of charging you for services you don't use, it is tough to disagree with the service provider wanting to know what devices it's servicing, no?

Global Posts
    24,215 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

every phone has an IMEI that "registers" with the network and that tells the company what the phone is essentially.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Beat me to it Howarmat. And to the OP, there is no way of changing an IMEI on a device.
    "To each his own"
    Check out my shadowbox at: TogetherWeServed
    and join me at the largest exclusive military network of its type. PM me for an invite! Joining is free!