hey everybody, im new to blackberry and bb forums. I reading some threads and notice how ppl are getting different versions of OS, how do you upgrade your os? my current version is 7.0.0.261. Can someone explain step by step and pro and cons before i do anything. Sorry im a newbie
    12-19-11 07:16 PM
    Here is a private message I sent to a user here who asked for assistance.

----

Having bad battery life could be due to a number of issues. Stuff like signal strength, applications that are installed, settings on the phone of things like screen brightness and stuff like wifi being enabled when no wifi connections exist. Etc etc...

That said...Upgrading to the latest OS could definitely solve your problem. When I was on my original os of 7.0.0.261 I had HORRIBLE battery life, I'd be lucky to get 8 hours out of my device. Since upgrading to 7.0.0.540, battery life is no longer an issue for me.

To install the new OS, here is a quick step by step.

Note: I recommend you fully charge your blackberry device before updating the OS. When that is done, proceed with the following steps.

1: Make sure you have blackberry desktop software installed on your windows PC. If you don't have this installed, you can download it from BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software.

2: Once you have this installed, plug your blackberry into your windows PC via USB and perform a full backup of your device in Blackberry desktop software.

3: When you are satisfied that blackberry desktop software is working properly with your device, and you have completed a full backup, download the OS 7.0.0.540 to your desktop pc. It is available at this link MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service.

4: Unplug your blackberry device from your PC.

5: Double click on the file you downloaded and install it onto your desktop PC.

6: Once the installation is complete, navigate to your apploader directory in your windows file manager. Normally this directory is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

7: Once inside the apploader directory, find and delete the file called vendor.xml.

8: When this file has been deleted, reboot your desktop PC.

9: While your desktop PC is rebooting, reboot your blackberry phone by pressing Alt+Shift+Del simultaneously. The alt key is on the left side of your keyboard beside the 7/z key, the shift key is on the bottom right of your device beside the sym key and labeled with an up arrow and aA. The del key is on the right side of your keyboard directly below the p/@ key. Compressing all three of these buttons simultaneously will cause your device to do a hard reset. Which is identical to a battery pull.

10: Once your computer and blackberry device have fully rebooted. Plug your blackberry into your PC via USB and open blackberry desktop software.

11: Use blackberry desktop software to update your blackberry to the OS .540.

12: Enjoy.

If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask for further assistance. I am always willing to help a fellow blackberry enthusiast.

Good luck to you and have yourself a wonderful holiday season.

12-19-11 07:50 PM
    Thanks for the great step by step EvilmasterMMA!
    12-19-11 11:19 PM
    The other way of finding how to upgrade the OS is to use the search box, there's tutorials.
    12-20-11 12:53 AM
    For me
    -install os to pc
    -back up with DM
    -wipe device with bbsak
    -delete vendor.xml file
    -run app loader
    -when it finished restore data and install a fresh apps
    12-20-11 04:13 AM
    • Install new OS to PC - remove any older installed OS's
    • Delete all vendor.xml files
    • Launch apploader - choose backup/restore data and apps
    • Done

I skip the BBSAK wipe, it's not necessary unless your device is really hosed; apploader wipes the old OS during the upgrade process. Apploader will also restore data and apps once the new OS is loaded. I don't waste time installing apps from the OTA sites when apploader can do that for me too. Going from 7.0 to 7.1 took just about 25 miutes start to finish.

There's a good step-by-step guide in my signature below.
    12-20-11 07:39 AM
    [LIST][*]Delete all vendor.xml files
    I've seen this mentioned a few times but I only saw one copy of vendor.xml on my Windows7 64bit PC.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    12-20-11 08:33 AM
    I've seen this mentioned a few times but I only saw one copy of vendor.xml on my Windows7 64bit PC.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Sometimes there is a second one. When I installed 7.1 there was only one. some users had two:

Finally success on Verizon. It was that second vendor file that was tripping me up.
    were you able to find and remove the two vendor.xml files?
    Multiple times..
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 12-20-11 at 09:00 AM.
    12-20-11 08:53 AM
    What is the purpose of deleting the vendor.xml file?

The reason I never want to upgrade my OS is that all my icons get jumbled up and removed from the folders I had them in, unhidden, etc.
    Does deleting that file take care of that issue?

Also, I noticed that performing my enterprise activation will also do the same thing. Move all my icons around and generaly cause me to spend a half an hour putting them all back where I want them.

Is there a way to save me this hassle?

Thanks.
    12-20-11 09:14 AM
    What is the purpose of deleting the vendor.xml file?

The reason I never want to upgrade my OS is that all my icons get jumbled up and removed from the folders I had them in, unhidden, etc.
    Does deleting that file take care of that issue?

Also, I noticed that performing my enterprise activation will also do the same thing. Move all my icons around and generaly cause me to spend a half an hour putting them all back where I want them.

Is there a way to save me this hassle?

Thanks.
    No, deleting the vendor.xml files won't cure that problem. Deleting vendor.xml simply allows you to install an OS released by AT&T, for example, on a T-Mo branded device.
    12-20-11 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD