Hey guys,

Just picked up a 9900, and was wondering if there was an easy way (through the OS or an app) that allows me to setup application shortcuts like I had on my 9780. On my 9780, I had a theme that would assign the $ key to go to SMS, the F key to go to Facebook, and so on. The default ones like B for browser work fine, but I'm looking for support for third-party stuff.

I know themes are not yet supported on the 9900, so that's out, and I also read that apps like QuickLaunch may not work on the 9900 as well (does QuickLaunch let you set custom application shortcut keys anyway?).

Just wondering how the 9900 folk are surviving without these shortcut keys because I definitely depended on them a lot before. That's one of the great things about the physical keyboard, you have so many keys to assign shortcuts with. Shame I can't seem to find a way to do this yet.

Anyway, thanks for your guys' help in advance. Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-11 06:43 PM
    While it's true that the default shortcuts aren't customizeable, QuickLaunch does work, and has an option for each entry to be launched with a one-, two-, or three-letter combo. There won't be themes until after RIM makes the Theme Studio available.
    10-23-11 06:51 PM
    MyOwnIcons let you assign up to 10 Home Screen hot keys for 10 fully customizable icons on your Home Screen.
    You can assign those icons to launch apps, tasks or they can launch your macro shortcut in ShortcutMe (if you have ShortcutMe).

Click on the link in my signature to see a YouTube clip showing how it works and how it set up.
    Last edited by Vijik; 10-23-11 at 07:14 PM.
    10-23-11 07:10 PM
    I like MyOwnIcons and QuickLaunch.

Quicklaunch let's you use something like Spacebar + any letter, while MyOwnIcons let's you do something like Q for QuickWeather or W for Twitter. Or blah blah. Lol.

I use Both.

10-23-11 07:27 PM
    That combination or MyOwnIcons combined with ShortcutMe (Launches with Space or any other Hot key from Home Screen).

If ShortcutMe is used, you can for example hit W in Home Screen and a macro in ShortcutMe can turn off Wifi, and turn on Radio (good when you leave home).

All you need to do is to hit W (true one click launch of multiple tasks)
    10-23-11 07:43 PM
    Cool guys, I'll give those a shot.

Got another question you guys might be able to help with. On the 9700/9780, I was able to use the browser shortcut 'U' to go directly to the address bar and type in a new web address. Any idea why it's missing, or if they re-located the key, which key is it? (I think I've tried them all.) Thanks!

10-24-11 10:15 AM
    Press "G", which does the same thing as hitting menu and selecting "Go To..."
    Cool guys, I'll give those a shot.

Got another question you guys might be able to help with. On the 9700/9780, I was able to use the browser shortcut 'U' to go directly to the address bar and type in a new web address. Any idea why it's missing, or if they re-located the key, which key is it? (I think I've tried them all.) Thanks!

10-24-11 10:25 AM
    Press "G", which does the same thing as hitting menu and selecting "Go To..."

Ah, thank-you! I actually did try "G" before, but I thought it opened up a new tab altogether. It actually does not and is exactly what I am looking for. Will take some getting used to the change though.

Thanks!

10-25-11 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD