This might be a stupid question but I thought I'd get the experts' answer.

I know how to do a battery pull but would like know the following:

1 How long should you keep the battery out before reinserting it?

2 Do you only remove the battery or the sim as well?

3 Should you do anything like pressing buttons while battery is out or do you just sit and wait?

4 What exactly does a battery pull do?

5 How does it differ from a soft reset?

thanx for your time

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-24-12 12:16 AM
    Just press Alt+Caps+Del so you don't have to do a battery pull
    melander likes this.
    09-24-12 12:39 AM
    1) At least for 30 seconds, I do for 3 minutes

2) No, just battery (no need to remove the sim)

3) No, just wait

4) It clears a lot weird things that may happen to your phone, example, LED is blinking but there's no message, no notification, phone is slower on multi tasking, any app acting weird, to clear up memory being used and cache as well

5) Soft reset is just a (restart, restaring the phone) and by the way you will notice after removing battery the time of the phone will be wrong, that will take a few seconds to update so you will know it was completely OFF

But with this new OS I don't think I'd need to do a battery pull often, don't battery pull often it can lead you to addiction, happened to me so yeah only when needed!
    09-24-12 03:24 AM
    Battery pulls are rarely necessary anymore and that salt+right shif+ delete trick does the same thing.

The only reason to pull the Sim is if you are having network connectivity problems.
    09-24-12 11:24 AM
    Exactly how does the period between the battery out and the battery back in make a difference?

Surely that's the very epitome of urban myth/guesswork?
    09-24-12 11:53 AM
    Exactly how does the period between the battery out and the battery back in make a difference?

Surely that's the very epitome of urban myth/guesswork?
    You just have to POWER OFF the phone cause by turning it off won't just TURN IT OFF, this is why, and let it be out (the battery) for about a minute, that will solve a lot of things at once, including network issues, where a power off is required some times.
    09-24-12 12:02 PM
    Battery pulls are not needed as much with BB7 devices.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    09-24-12 01:24 PM
    well, it's still needed to regain back leaked memory... but with the latest OS, don't seem to have much memory leaks...
    09-25-12 03:09 AM
    alt+ctrl+del = soft reset
    Battery pull = total hard reset.

link to the difference between both: https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...BYf1DoKtHy6N2A
    09-25-12 06:27 AM
    Like Rocka says. I rarely batt pull anymore and don't even 3 finger boot that often. But I do have an app that reboots, collects garbage and memory cleans on schedule.
    09-25-12 09:19 AM
    If a battery pull makes you feel better than a 3 finger reboot, by all means do it. I do a battery pull every other day(10 second) or so when anything acts weird or slow. Just a hassle getting my Otterbox case back on. Also Zodiac, there are no stupid questions. Thanks to all of you out there , Fryk
    09-25-12 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD