Hi!
    I am sure there must be a solution, I just can't figure it out.
    If, let's say, a facebook notification comes in (or email or message or whatever is shown on the main screen) in order to get rid of the little notification, I have to actually open it. This means I have to tap on the notification area and then have the according app be opened (i.e. facebook). How can I simply dismiss such notifications? For example if it is just an email or facebook message that I know is not important, I don't want to have to open it.
    Err... I think you know what I mean, but how can I do it?

Thanks in advance,
    -pac
    11-21-12 10:18 AM
    I don't know if there is a way.

I think Androids let you sorta "swipe" notifications off the notification screen without actually having to open the application. I wish RIM would rework the notification area to work more like that, but I doubt much more effort is going into BBOS.
    11-21-12 10:53 AM
    Yeah, Android stole it right from WebOS: swipe left to erase/dismiss.
    Having to open every single notification is a real pain. I was honestly hoping there'd be a solution.
    -pac
    11-21-12 12:24 PM
    Come to think of it, I believe some of the popup notification apps you can download allow you to mark items as "read" when you dismiss the popup. Not quite the same thing, but similar.

I also use BeMail to automatically flag emails from certain senders as read as they're received, avoiding the LED and notification. That's actually been pretty handy, as at this point if my LED is flashing, it's likely something I need to look into (as opposed to advertisements, forum updates, etc. which don't turn on a notification).
    11-21-12 03:04 PM
    The only app I know of is Advance OS and LED which puts a "Stop LED" option into every menu which clears all LED notifications with a single click. BeBuzz may also do this but I haven't used that in a while.
    11-21-12 06:48 PM
    Dear lord. Open Messages app, decide whether you want to mark all, a few, or just the one.

For all: tap, click trackpad, or open menu with the date bar selected -> select "Mark prior read".

For a few: put a finger on an item and another above or below, and everything in between will be selected. Note: this only works for messages in view due to the size of the screen. For more, select a message, hold down a shift key and scroll up or down with the trackpad. Then, long press/hold trackpad/open menu and select "Mark read"

For a single message/item: long press, hold trackpad, or open menu and select "Mark read".

Last edited by Reubechs; 11-22-12 at 01:43 AM.
    deezy87 likes this.
    11-22-12 01:13 AM
    Thanks for the input. That's how I've been doing it. Not very user friendly but the only way to make more than one notification disappear at one.
    Thanks again!
    -pac
    11-22-12 02:13 AM
    Thanks for the input. That's how I've been doing it. Not very user friendly but the only way to make more than one notification disappear at one.
    Thanks again!
    -pac
    It's absolutely not the only way, in massaging list hold caps and scroll up or down on the track pad to select multiple messages that you can mark as read/unread or delete etc.
    11-22-12 02:43 AM
    @lujandavid17: pics do not work.
    @belfastdispatcher: yeah that is basically a variation of what Reubechs suggested. Still, all of this is a lot more hassle than it should be, in my opinion.

-pac
    11-22-12 03:18 AM
    @lujandavid17: pics do not work.
    @belfastdispatcher: yeah that is basically a variation of what Reubechs suggested. Still, all of this is a lot more hassle than it should be, in my opinion.

-pac
    It's the BlackBerry way, it's been like this from the beginning and it makes perfect sense, it's very efficient.
    11-22-12 03:43 AM
    Setting a convenience key to open the Messages application can save time too. It's almost like having BB10's "peek" since it makes our "hub" available with one click from anywhere.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    11-22-12 10:35 AM
    Setting a convenience key to open the Messages application can save time too. It's almost like having BB10's "peek" since it makes our "hub" available with one click from anywhere.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Personally I'd just use the task switcher if I was in an app already - less hand movement to hold Menu or Alt+Back as opposed to adjusting hand position to press the convenience key. Also less travel if unlocking.

Not to say setting the convenience key or other alternate methods are the wrong way to go - it's all about what works best for each user. What works for me can drive someone else insane and vice versa.
    11-22-12 12:00 PM
    Personally I'd just use the task switcher if I was in an app already - less hand movement to hold Menu or Alt+Back as opposed to adjusting hand position to press the convenience key.
    Yup, I've used both. If the phone is sitting on my desk, and I need to reach for it to see why's it's beeping, it's easier (for me) to just grab it while pushing in the convenience button. But if I'm already working with the phone in my hands, I'll use the task switcher.

What would be seriously neat is if a long-press on the ESCAPE key would always open Messages (without closing the current app). Tada! We'd have our own Peek and Hub on BBOS. But I dunno if developers can modify that behavior.

All of this is why I'm a little skeptical about BB10 with it's touch interface and no hardware buttons. Once you get to know your BBOS device, you can really flip and fly around from one app to the next by just moving your thumb an inch. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to swiping and pulling across a whole screen to accomplish the same thing(s).
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    11-22-12 12:25 PM
    Yup, I've used both. If the phone is sitting on my desk, and I need to reach for it to see why's it's beeping, it's easier (for me) to just grab it while pushing in the convenience button. But if I'm already working with the phone in my hands, I'll use the task switcher.

What would be seriously neat is if a long-press on the ESCAPE key would always open Messages (without closing the current app). Tada! We'd have our own Peek and Hub on BBOS. But I dunno if developers can modify that behavior.

All of this is why I'm a little skeptical about BB10 with it's touch interface and no hardware buttons. Once you get to know your BBOS device, you can really flip and fly around from one app to the next by just moving your thumb an inch. I'm not sure I'm looking forward to swiping and pulling across a whole screen to accomplish the same thing(s).
    That they can't, although I like where you're going with that. I have my reservations for BB10 as well but from what I've seen it looks to be fairly fluid.
    11-22-12 12:46 PM