Hey everyone.

I was reading an article on features that iOS 6 could possibly take from BlackBerry. One of the features was the level of customization for sound profiles. This is what the article said:

What if I want my iPhone to beep and buzz if my wife calls, but to go dead silent if it's my mother-in-law? What if I want different tones or vibration patterns for work and personal email, or for my boss's or partner's email? What if I want notifications to demand my attention during the day, but mute themselves and let me sleep at night? What if I want a work-centric set of options when I'm at the job site, but a I don't want work following me home? While iOS currently has per-app settings for notifications, it doesn't have anywhere near BlackBerry's level of granularity.

I have profiles set up for 'car', 'work', and 'bedside'. The custom profiles I have created simply reduce/increase volume, or the completely turn off specific notifications, such as text messages, bbm's or email.

What I want to do is create a family profile that allows for the notifications of my family to still be on, while blocking out everyone else.

Is this possible? If so, how do I set it up?

Thanks.
    06-04-12 12:15 PM
    I suppose you can go in to Contacts and open up all your Family ones and click on Edit, and then scroll to Custom Ringtones/Alerts. If you set up all your family members with the same notifications, then that should work.

You can set it up so that it follows the active profile(Sound profile you are using at any given time), or you can change Tone, Volume, Sound, or change Visual and Tactile alerts (vibration).
    wolfee48 likes this.
    06-04-12 12:39 PM
    I suppose you can go in to Contacts and open up all your Family ones and click on Edit, and then scroll to Custom Ringtones/Alerts. If you set up all your family members with the same notifications, then that should work.

You can set it up so that it follows the active profile(Sound profile you are using at any given time), or you can change Tone, Volume, Sound, or change Visual and Tactile alerts (vibration).
    Exactly this…

If you sit down and spend some time on it, you can have it set up to alert you on specific items or contacts. That is how mine is set up. My device is essentially silent, but when it makes a noise, vibrates, or LED is flashing I know it is something important or from someone important. I have 2-3 hours easily logged into just my sound profile settings and individual contact settings.
    Last edited by dustanh; 06-04-12 at 03:12 PM.
    06-04-12 02:38 PM
    You can set custom notifications for emails, calls and SMS by editing each contact in the contact app.

Unless things have changed in the latest OS, you cannot set custom ring tones for BBM contacts.
    06-04-12 03:06 PM
    Guys.....seriously? Edit every individual contact? No.

Open up Profiles. Select Change Sounds and Alerts. Then select Sounds for Contacts. Click that big ol' Add Contact Alert button. Inside that dialog, you can add an entire list of contacts from your address book, then assign a specific tone for Phone and Messages from that group.

I personally have one contact group for Clients, and keep the list updated as necessary. Far easier than editing every single contact's tones.

The appearance of this feature made SmartAlerts (and AlertMatrix, really) redundant for me.

Yet another way BlackBerry is infinitely customizable.
    robsteve, Hgouck, Ecm and 3 others like this.
    06-04-12 03:26 PM

Open up Profiles. Select Change Sounds and Alerts. Then select Sounds for Contacts. Click that big ol' Add Contact Alert button. Inside that dialog, you can add an entire list of contacts from your address book, then assign a specific tone for Phone and Messages from that group.

I personally have one contact group for Clients, and keep the list updated as necessary. Far easier than editing every single contact's tones.

The appearance of this feature made SmartAlerts (and AlertMatrix, really) redundant for me.

I suppose that would be quicker if he had more than one mother-in law or more than one wife

I didn't know you could group them, but I was just using it for wife and kids, so never looked into it.
    06-04-12 03:31 PM
    I suppose that would be quicker if he had more than one mother-in law or more than one wife

I didn't know you could group them, but I was just using it for wife and kids, so never looked into it.
    I honestly didn't know you could do group contact alerts either. I stumbled upon it one day and was very happy. I have a decent-sized client list, and they have a certain priority in my enormous contact database. I do the same for family and I agree, that list doesn't change the way my client list does.

I wasn't trying to be a complete j e r k....but I know sometimes I am.

EDIT - I can't even insult myself without being censored. Ell Oh Ell.
    06-04-12 03:35 PM
    What I want to do is create a family profile that allows for the notifications of my family to still be on, while blocking out everyone else.

Is this possible? If so, how do I set it up?

Thanks.
    Profile Changer will do exactly what you want. You can set it to go silent at a certain time but it will ring for a particular contact group in the VIP setting. So you can set your family member contacts as "Personal", but your phone will ring only for them even though your device is set to silent. It's available here:
    Buy ProfilerPRO - Automate sound profile switching - Download ProfilerPRO - Automate sound profile switching - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Last edited by tsells; 06-04-12 at 04:08 PM.
    06-04-12 03:56 PM
    Profile Changer will do exactly what you want. You can set it to go silent at a certain time but it will ring for a particular contact group in the VIP setting. So you can set your family member contacts as "Personal", but your phone will ring only for them even though your device is set to silent. It's available here:
    Buy ProfilerPRO - Automate sound profile switching - Download ProfilerPRO - Automate sound profile switching - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Why use an app when the functionality is already baked into the OS?

@wu-wei - I didn't think he had 100s of family members. So editing 5 or 6 contacts, no big deal.
    Hgouck and tsells like this.
    06-04-12 03:58 PM
    Why use an app when the functionality is already baked into the OS?

@wu-wei - I didn't think he had 100s of family members. So editing 5 or 6 contacts, no big deal.
    Wow, I didn't realize that was possible. I just found that feature! Thanks!
    06-04-12 04:07 PM

I didn't know you could group either.

But I have a different audible alert for every contact I have set up. That way I know who exactly is calling or messaging me. I only have maybe 10 contacts that I care to know when they are sending me something.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    06-04-12 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD