And when you Jailbreak the phone the FIRST thing you should do as all devs recommend is change the root password. So it becomes more secure than a stock phone.OTA updates are here in iOS5 so your argument about security is a moot point as RIM has released it's info on it's own Security Flaws. So no one is king of security anymore. iOS and Android OS have caught up quickly and have in some cases passed RIM.
    Um what? Surely you can't be serious...

The fact that you CAN jailbreak the phones already means that it is less secure than the BB OS. I especially like how iOS 5 was jailbroken <24hrs after it was beta released.

And ANDROID being more secure than Blackberry? Really???
    08-15-11 07:44 AM
    Let's bring some facts to the table shall we?

Smartphones Bring Risks Into Businesses - Mobiledia
    The report fingered both iOS and Android for the way they sync with home devices, potentially leaking sensitive corporate data.

It dinged iOS's encryption, which has been shown to be eminently breakable, but noted that while version 3.0 of Android supports strong encryption, the lion's share of devices run earlier versions with no encryption at all.

The report touches on the risks posed by jailbroken iPhones, whose owners have decided to escape the confines of the App Store for a more Android-like experience. That opens the door for Android-like malware issues
    Russians Crack iOS Encryption - Mobiledia

A Russian software company has broken the encryption used to secure data on Apple iOS 4 devices, meaning that personal information can in some cases be accessed without a passcode.

The company now offers software to law enforcement and intelligence agency customers that can read all the data stored on an iOS device.

"Let's make it very clear: no privacy purist should ever use an iPhone," wrote Vladimir Katalov, ElcomSoft chief executive, on the company's web site. "IPhone devices store or cache humongous amounts of information about how, when, and where the device has been used."
    I am open to constructive, intelligent responses. It would also be nice if you offered proof if you disagree
    08-15-11 07:52 AM
    I meant that iOS and Android have caught up in messaging. Yes Jailbreaking a phone is inherently MORE secure because most malware/junkware uses the default password on the phone and if you Jailbreak the easiest way to make your phone more secure is changing the Default password and turning off SSH.

It is quite simple to realize this that Android and iOS have root level passwords that are common knowledge, that;s how the bad apps get in they use "root" and the default password. So therefore changing my root access password on my phone I have shut out any attempt at gaining that administrative access.

Okay look:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/r...ity-flaws/9261

I would also say regarding the purist quote. That NO purist should use a smartphone....period. ANd that cache issue has been resolved. Blackberries cache info also so don't think iPhone is the lone issue here. I will say blackberries are a great secure device, not arguing that fact. But those that truly understand jailbreaking can make their phone MORE secure. Not talking the casual user, because quite frankly they don't care or understand.
    Just like the windows user that says "hey" I have AV software but it's not stopping viruses.....ahh have you run a scan? NO...have you update your definitions uhhh no. So it's all in the user. Ultimately it is the users responsibility to secure their device.
    Last edited by Accidental Post; 08-15-11 at 08:02 AM.
    08-15-11 07:55 AM
    BES is free for a year now. BES express...and does what most BES users need.
    The software may be free but no one is offfering hosted BESx for free.
    08-15-11 08:13 AM
    Well first off, this was RIM saying what they had fixed in a patch release... not really that big of a deal if you ask me, and this never affected the smartphone itself, it was a patch to the BES.

ANd that cache issue has been resolved. Blackberries cache info also so don't think iPhone is the lone issue here.
    The cache is not the main issue. The main issue is that the encryption that is used to secure data on the iPhone was broken. So that means ANY information stored on your phone can be accessed, sometimes without even a password.

Yes Jailbreaking a phone is inherently MORE secure because most malware/junkware uses the default password on the phone and if you Jailbreak the easiest way to make your phone more secure is changing the Default password and turning off SSH.
    Jailbreaking your phone is inherently LESS secure because most malware does not even target the secure iOS, since by jailbreaking you get rid of Apple's "walled garden", and not only open your iPhone to more customization, but also to more malware. You can not just change your root password and expect everything to be safe... There are MANY ways of cracking passwords, especially since that password is (99% sure) stored encrypted on the device and (as per the article I linked above) all iPhone encryption has been cracked and the software to crack it is being sold for $128. And as I'm sure you know, jailbreaking an iPhone allows it to run applications that have access to files that the normal OS does not allow. All of these things open up huge security concerns.

Some more info:

Are Apple iPhones safer than Android? MWR InfoSecurity says Apple's famed security from viruses doesn't quite translate to mobile devices. ''Both platforms have problems,'' says the company. ''The Android market has quite a reputation for serving malware regularly, whereas Apple seems to be in better control of the content of the App Store. Android, however, has Sandbox [a security feature], which limits the impact of malicious or vulnerable applications. This can help limit the effectiveness of the malware, a feature that does not exist on the Apple platform.''

BlackBerry phones are considered safer to use, as their maker, RIM, ''keeps details of the platform a secret, which makes it much harder for attackers to write malware''.

All the experts are agreed that ''jailbreaking'' - where you remove the limitations imposed by Apple on iPhones and iPads - exposes the user to much wider security threats.
    08-15-11 08:21 AM
    Not to offend anyone, and this is just my opinion, but I think the "time is money" argument is pretty lame. The BB does save some time but also sacrifices some time. When I wanted to book a hotel the other day, the browser was so slow, I just called the hotel directly. The phone, as noted previously, does spin and has to reboot at times (last week I had to reboot mine when I was in a meeting and everyone had to wait for the phone to get info). Having the ability to be able to hook up a keyboard to the iPhone will allow me to type even faster (although I am pretty fast with both touchscreen and BB keyboard). Having HDMI and VGA out will also save time by not having to fire up a laptop to give presentations, etc. The camera on the iPhone is much faster than the BB. You can argue each side of the fence for the "time saver".

On top of this I have to laugh at all the people who say their time is so valuable but then those same people end up writing a ton on their Facebook page, Crackberry posts, Twitter accounts, etc. The really busy people don't have time to be on Crackberry.
    You are correct,so many people own BB's and are not professionals but claim to be sooooo important and that their data has to be secure !!!!! How many people didn't realize that if your not on BES your not all that secure if at all,then you have the ones that insist that they are so important that they need instantaneous emails. BB's are nice phones but are not the end all be all for all the egos out there.
    08-15-11 08:26 AM
    Well first off, this was RIM saying what they had fixed in a patch release... not really that big of a deal if you ask me, and this never affected the smartphone itself, it was a patch to the BES.

The cache is not the main issue. The main issue is that the encryption that is used to secure data on the iPhone was broken. So that means ANY information stored on your phone can be accessed, sometimes without even a password.

Jailbreaking your phone is inherently LESS secure because most malware does not even target the secure iOS, since by jailbreaking you get rid of Apple's "walled garden", and not only open your iPhone to more customization, but also to more malware. You can not just change your root password and expect everything to be safe... There are MANY ways of cracking passwords, especially since that password is (99% sure) stored encrypted on the device and (as per the article I linked above) all iPhone encryption has been cracked and the software to crack it is being sold for $128. And as I'm sure you know, jailbreaking an iPhone allows it to run applications that have access to files that the normal OS does not allow. All of these things open up huge security concerns.

Some more info:
    You just don't understand do you? When I jailbreak my phone there are two things I do change the default password and turn of SSH. Would you like to try my password? Do you own an iPhone? And have you ever jailbroke one? I am not arguing the security because like I mentioned the casual jailbreaker doesn't change the password or turn of ssh. I had a friend of mine come over and show me his iPhone and within five minute I was in his phone via SHH so yeah it's easy to get in.

But alas you are the one that thinks a 10 year old who can trick a game with the clock is hacker.....good day
    08-15-11 09:47 AM
    You just don't understand do you? When I jailbreak my phone there are two things I do change the default password and turn of SSH. Would you like to try my password? Do you own an iPhone? And have you ever jailbroke one? I am not arguing the security because like I mentioned the casual jailbreaker doesn't change the password or turn of ssh. I had a friend of mine come over and show me his iPhone and within five minute I was in his phone via SHH so yeah it's easy to get in.

But alas you are the one that thinks a 10 year old who can trick a game with the clock is hacker.....good day
    Haha, that's funny. I simply posted a news article onto the forums, I did not say "hacker", the article did, nice try though (I can't believe you are still so upset about that...)

You are not going to argue security? That is what this whole argument has been about...

I do own an iPhone4, I have jailbroken one but mine is currently not jailbroken.

The fact that you think just changing your root password and turning off SSH will protect you is laughable. Did you not read the article I posted about the how the encryption used in the iPhone was hacked, and the software is available for $128? Where do you think your new root password is stored? Not on your phone? '

Jailbreaking allows you access to the root filesystem, and yes I know you "changed your root password", you don't have to say that again. What I am saying is that your password is not safe, and can be cracked, then what?
    Last edited by 01itr; 08-15-11 at 10:41 AM.
    08-15-11 10:33 AM
    I thought this thread was supposed to be about the Blackberry as a messaging device. It seems to have become side tracked.

To answer the OP, BBs are better than iPhone or Android because of the physical qwerty keyboard and associated keyboard short cuts. This advantage does not apply to the Storm or touch screen only Torch of course. IMHO they are inferior to an iPhone as a messaging device.
    southlander likes this.
    08-15-11 11:08 AM
209 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD