Don't know why it is so difficult to get two simple questions answered by someone at RIM. Will the Bold 9900 be a mobile hotspot? Will it support UMA? If it has those two features, I will buy. If it does not, I will be switching manufacturers.
    05-03-11 01:11 PM
    I'm in the same boat. If no mobile hotspot, I'll either have to wait and see if it's available on another BB or switch manufacturers.
    05-03-11 03:58 PM
    I'm sure it is built-in as the leaked spec said. But this is becoming a sensitive matter with carriers, and RIM does not want to say a thing at this stage until carriers sort this out. That's what I think.
    05-03-11 08:04 PM
    But I hope BB doesn't wimp out on either feature. They need all the customers they can get at this point, so no point in holding back!
    05-03-11 11:51 PM
    Why no mention of Mobile Hot Spot capability? - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Seriously. How many of these kind of threads are going to keep popping up?
    05-04-11 12:13 AM
    I had to change from my 9650 to a Droid-X because I need a Mobile Hot Spot to use with my 2 Tablets. I want the new Bold to have this feature so that I can go back to it. VZ charges $20.00 for 2 Gigs a month and that is all that I need to fill in when I am away from the office or home.

This Mobile Hot Spot is a must for new phones. I don't run the battery down on the phone because I am only on it for 5-10 minutes at a time to check mail, get work info. etc.

What is the big deal with these carriers, just charge $20.00 a month for 2 gigs and be done with it. Those that need it will pony up for it or find a McDonalds.
    05-12-11 12:14 PM
    It better have UMA implemented into it.....Last I heard it did.

I need it!
    05-12-11 11:12 PM
    If T-Mobile gets I can guarantee it will have UMA. All their Blackberrys have it, especially how they brought back free unlimited WiFi/UMA calling. As for the hotspot I dunno.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 12:59 AM
    Let's hope it has UMA.

WiFi hotspot would be nice, but UMA is essential -- and the only reason I stick with T-Mobile USA.
    06-08-11 02:01 PM
    But I hope BB doesn't wimp out on either feature. They need all the customers they can get at this point, so no point in holding back!
    It's not BB. It's the carriers. The functionality and hardware is there. It has to be at this stage. But it is the software/carriers that make it work or not. Don't blame RIM if it ends up not being there. Blame the carriers.
    06-09-11 07:48 AM
    Have just got off the phone with Rogers regarding UMA and my brand new 9900. UMA is not working at this point. According to the tech, they are waiting for a software patch called GAN-lite which they are saying should be available in a week or so. I gather that means that UMA will function on the top of the line Berry.
    08-11-11 09:13 PM
    Hmmm, there's a couple gan cod s in the 650 leak fire 9780, perhaps you can download that and inject them with bbsak?
    Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    08-11-11 09:21 PM
    Probably going to take more then just injecting the CODs. I've noticed the radio / kernel file is missing a good amount of UMA related info that the 9700/9780 has in their files. I posted about it here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6559844

I really hope they do add it back in with a software update, it makes the 9900 kind of unusable for me.
    08-11-11 10:07 PM
    At this point, I'm willing to wait a week or two to see if they get it going. They didn't seem hostile to giving me the patch once they get it. I have had UMA for three years now and I can't imagine not having it on the newest BlackBerry.
    08-11-11 10:10 PM
    The leaked Bell docs say mobile hotspot will be added as a software upgrade. But no timeline was given.
    08-11-11 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD