I've been reading all over the forum of people wanting an upscale review about the battery. Now having the phone for about 5 days, I can thoroughly explain my experience with the phone and the battery.

First, don't get me wrong, the 9930 is freaking awesome. But the battery is not.

So for the user like me (Sends about 50-100 BBMS+emails+text a day, Uses some applications, makes a few phone calls, browses a few web pages to check the news/sports scores. For this type of user, the battery will last you 8 hours at max maybe more.

I woke up at 11 with the phone on the charger took it off and went till 6-6:30 with "Battery too low for radio use"
    Thankfully I had my friends charger.

For the light user (Sends about 20-50 BBMS+emails+text a day and moderately uses the phones features ex: Browser, Apps, etc) The phone could last you a hold day with one charge.

For the heavy user (Does not leave his phone, AKA the crackberry user) This phone is not for you or I recommend you wait for Seidio to come out with a better battery.

Hope you enjoy the review and please leave feedback on how the battery is treating you!

Overall this phone is great though!

Thanks for reading:

tl;dr
    This is not the best battery
    08-24-11 11:45 PM
    The problem is only some users are having battery issues.
    08-24-11 11:48 PM
    I wouldn't say some. I think majority of people are having bad battery life, myself included. I have to carry two batteries with me since 1 doesn't last me a day and I'm not even a heavy user.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Brov and knowsnoblackberry like this.
    08-24-11 11:59 PM
    Yah I could live with all the issues like camera downgrades and a somewhat buggy OS and the obvious. But this battery downgrade is making the experience just awful. Thickness over battery life? Well RIM is now competing with the rest of the mobile industry. Utterly terrible. The funny thing is though I don't even have a BB data plan at the moment because I'm heading for vaccation. So all the data services aren't being used aside from some daily wifi browsing.

On a side note, can someone there at RIM make the brightness adjusting have more variation, this thing is insanely bright compared to my 9700, even at lowest setting I wish I could lower it in hopes of saving some more battery life, and my sight in the night time environments.
    08-25-11 12:10 AM
    Agreed. Battery is a huge disappointment for me.

I tried everything to solve the issue: I've turned off WiFi and bluetooth. I took out my memory card b/c I read somewhere that it can potentially drain the battery. I've checked to ensure that there are no programs running in the background. I've spoken to 2 Rogers technicians who simply attributed it to the phone. I took the phone back to the retailer and exchanged the battery (hoping it was a faulty battery).

Absolutely none of the above worked.

Finally, I exchanged the actual phone (hoping it was a faulty device) and I'm experiencing the exact same issue: terrible battery life.

It frustrates me b/c I have a couple of friends with same phone that have incredible battery life and another couple of friends with the same problem as me!

My battery will drain at about 10%/hour with very AVERAGE usage! On weekends (when I'm texting and BBM-ing more than usual), the battery will last 6 hours!

Can anybody help ??
    The only thing I haven't tried is wiping the OS and replacing it with a new one ?? Is Blackberry coming out with a new/battery-friendly OS ?? Any other ideas ?
    08-25-11 12:10 AM
    In reality, my battery got me through a day with moderately heavy use. Namely, it was taken off charge at 6:30am and since that point I got a few emails pinging in, 26 messages sent (between text and email), about half a dozen photos and videos shot, music was played on a 45 minute journey via headphones, I made 30 mins worth of calls and did about half an hour's (painful) web browsing over 3G and Wi-Fi. By 11pm, it was down to 10%.
    08-25-11 12:13 AM
    battery works fine for me and get me through the whole day before it turns red at night and I only require a single charge everyday. I have been testing out the battery refraining from charging during work. my brightness level is at 20 %. think its mileage depends on individual and whether you use a lot of the camera function. this is my honest assessment. I am not writing it for the sake of arguing, but just to share my own mileage.

08-25-11 12:20 AM
    Here is my 2 cents. First, I've had the Sprint 9930 since last Saturday (props to Sprint for giving it to me a day early).

I am a heavy user. I receive about 100 emails a day, and send/receive between 300 and 400 BBM/texts a day. In addition, I am constantly on it, either watching movies I put on SD card, using Sprint TV or playing that cool rollercoaster game, as well as web usage. The battery is extremely strong and lasts me well throughout the day. I do not use bluetooth and rarely turn on WiFi. Also, NFC is off.

Charging seems to take a while on this. I am coming from the Style, a phone that could be in yellow, I could get in the car for work and throw it on the charger, get to work and it be full. Cannot do that with this. It takes a while for me to get a full charge. Also my Style used to barely last half a day with my usage.

All in all, I personally feel the battery is great, but perhaps its my carrier and that os making the difference vs Verizon? or service strength (I am on Long Island but work in NYC)? But for me, its been great.
    08-25-11 12:27 AM
    I wanted to avoid this but I can't. The battery only last me a 7-8hr work day. This is not good when I can't be around a charger. But the device is worth having. I'm willing to sacrifice the thinness for a super kickass extended battery. Perhaps a 2000mah like the juice pack.

But in would love to see how a 1500mah would last in this device.
    08-25-11 01:09 AM
    I wanted to avoid this but I can't. The battery only last me a 7-8hr work day. This is not good when I can't be around a charger. But the device is worth having. I'm willing to sacrifice the thinness for a super kickass extended battery. Perhaps a 2000mah like the juice pack.

But in would love to see how a 1500mah would last in this device.
    The problem is while people like you don't mind sacrificing thinness for great battery life there are plenty of other people that will ***** and complain that RIM can't make a thin phone blah blah blah. I actually get pretty decent battery life on mine - about 50-75 emails, bbms & text per day, average 30 min talk time, some light web browsing and with this usage I take my phone off the charger at 7am and it is now 11:30pm (pacific time) my battery is at 43%. According to Meterberry my average drain rate with this usage is 3.5% per hour so I'm good with that. I did have really awful battery life a few days ago (6.5% per hour drain rate) so I wiped the phone and installed my apps one at a time to see which app was causing the drain - I discovered that APPLOCK was causing the the excessive battery drain. Now without that app installed everything is good.

PS: my settings - Bluetooth on, wifi off, blackberry bridge on & connected to my PB, screen brightness 60%, time out 45 seconds
    08-25-11 01:31 AM
    Battery has been good for me in heavy usage days, easily making it from 8am to 11pm. I don't have Bluetooth or NFC turned on, and the screen is set to the normal brightness of 70%, if you're having issues turn down the brightness to 30% or lower, it's still very bright at that level. Don't do a lot of voice calls I must admit, more text, bbm, surfing, and apps/listening to music, not playing games very often.

I think a lot of the issues are caused by misbehaving apps, I was having trouble with the weather app from the Weather Network but since I removed it and tried another one it's all been good. OS7 is very new so developers are still tuning their apps for it.
    08-25-11 01:31 AM
    I don't really have any compaints about the battery. I mean its not like the 8330 I used to have but that phone couldn't talk any **** on the 9930. I get roughly 8% discharge/hr but I have some apps running in the background like Facebook twitter socialscope foursquare along with what I would consider heavy usage. I'm coming from a style and you could have no apps on that thing and it drain in a few hrs. I am excited to get the seido 1600 mah battery when it comes out so I won't have to change my phones back and get a good amount out of a battery!

08-25-11 01:37 AM
    At the moment I am working nights so it means an average of 2 hours of you tube over wi-fi + another hour of wi-fi for browsing and listening to the radio + about 30-45 minutes of games + few SMS + 3-4 phone calls and my battery died after 12 hours......

It's worse than terrible
    08-25-11 02:06 AM
    I am a frequent user, i talk in bbm groups with 10+ people in them, bbm messages, emails, texts, lots of browsing and some games when im bored and usually by the end of the day, im sitting around 40-50%. i dont find this bad as i charge my bb before sleeping anyways soo that in the morning im good to go. i listen to music a lot on my 9700 and the battery would just suck during that one hour id listen to music. on the 9900 its much different as the content is on internal memory soo doesnt uses the battery drain that an sd card will use. just carry around an extra battery or charger around. i doubt that any android or iphone can match the bb in terms of battery life.
    08-25-11 02:14 AM
    Really stupid of Rim to cut corners on the battery and camera among other things in order to have a "thinner" phone which not only blatantly copies iPhone they can't even match the batter life/camera on a full touch screen phone iphone thats been out for over a year already
    08-25-11 02:17 AM
    At the moment I am working nights so it means an average of 2 hours of you tube over wi-fi + another hour of wi-fi for browsing and listening to the radio + about 30-45 minutes of games + few SMS + 3-4 phone calls and my battery died after 12 hours......

It's worse than terrible
    12 hours on that usage is good to me. Wonder if any phone will get that much. 2hrs youtube is pretty intensive.

08-25-11 03:14 AM
    25 hours of lightish use at the moment and battery is showing 40% - bluetooth and wi-fi on, several e-mails, BBMs, some photos and some browsing. Compares quite well to my Bold 9780, not as good as I was getting with a Curve 9300. There is definitely an issue with some phones - could relate to hardware or software, but it's not a universal problem.
    08-25-11 03:15 AM
    I don't know what's wrong with people.. Moderate use (vague, I know) gets me 2 days *easily*. I'd have to try really hard to kill my battery in 24 hours.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Marauder2k9 likes this.
    08-25-11 03:51 AM
    Here is my 2 cents. First, I've had the Sprint 9930 since last Saturday (props to Sprint for giving it to me a day early).

I am a heavy user. I receive about 100 emails a day, and send/receive between 300 and 400 BBM/texts a day. In addition, I am constantly on it, either watching movies I put on SD card, using Sprint TV or playing that cool rollercoaster game, as well as web usage. The battery is extremely strong and lasts me well throughout the day. I do not use bluetooth and rarely turn on WiFi. Also, NFC is off.

Charging seems to take a while on this. I am coming from the Style, a phone that could be in yellow, I could get in the car for work and throw it on the charger, get to work and it be full. Cannot do that with this. It takes a while for me to get a full charge. Also my Style used to barely last half a day with my usage.

All in all, I personally feel the battery is great, but perhaps its my carrier and that os making the difference vs Verizon? or service strength (I am on Long Island but work in NYC)? But for me, its been great.
    Download a screen capture app and show us your usage screen. Im calling you out here.
    hooknwz likes this.
    08-25-11 04:51 AM
    I have everything turned on bluetooth, wifi, gps location services, 70% brightness. I easily get through the day 630-1200. I am a medium light user. Listen to music for 1hour15min a day, 3-4 phone calls, about 75 emails received, 20 sent, web browsing sporatically. The only drain I see is if I use GPS heavy program like Blackberry Traffic. About half the time I have wifi connectivity.

08-25-11 06:05 AM
    Was having bad battery life with stock os on my 9930. I switched to .340 and got 12 hours of usgae. Heavy BBM. SMS. Twitter. Facebook emails. I'm satisfied now.

08-25-11 06:11 AM
    I find the battery about even to previous models (Curve 2, Tour for me) but it maybe slightly better when I have light use and definitely worse with heavy use. With heavy use I am lucky to get a half day. For me, all these issues go away once I have a spare battery and an external charger -- which NO ONE IN THE US IS SELLING. And that is frustrating. Personally I wish this device was a little thicker and had a better (autofocus) camera and battery. RIM made a bad tradeoff. Thin is nice but this time they gave up too much to make the phone thin.
    08-25-11 06:21 AM
    I don't know what's wrong with people.. Moderate use (vague, I know) gets me 2 days *easily*. I'd have to try really hard to kill my battery in 24 hours.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Same here. I charge it every night whether it needs it or not, but it usually doesn't.
    08-25-11 06:22 AM
    I am with everyone else here.. the battery life is horrible compared to every other Blackberry that has ever been released. Previously, I would get home from work with 75% to 80% battery life left.. now knowing that this phone has a potentially bad battery life, I am very careful with what I have on and how I am using this.. yesterday I got home from work with 35% battery.. for how much I love Blackberry, and how much I LOVE this new 9930; this is a little heartbreaking.
    08-25-11 06:45 AM
    Bb style from sprint use cdma as in 9930..battery size is 1100 mah vs bold's 1230 mah..
    Everyone knows how style eats battery..unless you turn down 4g, bold's battery will remain poor..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    08-25-11 07:02 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD