"Citing several trusted industry sources..."

According to this article from Engadget - BlackBerry Colt to launch before end of 2011? -- Engadget

And check out the other link...
    RIM scraps 10-inch PlayBook to focus on QNX-powered superphone? -- Engadget
    08-16-11 09:43 PM
    I call uber BS on this. I don't think we will see QNX devices until at least Q2 of 2012

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-11 09:45 PM
    I don't want the first BB phone with QNX after all the issues the BB tablet had with it. I'm happy with my 9930 until next summer/fall when there should be some LTE BBs to choose from.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-16-11 09:45 PM
    RIM is already rushing QNX. The faster they rush the worse it will be at first. So either way it is not worth waiting for, unless you enjoy your phones having serious software bugs.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-16-11 09:49 PM
    The latest rumours indicate that RIM has abandoned the notion that QNX will require a dual-core processor. If that's true, we might be seeing a QNX update for our 9900s sometime in the future. Or, this could all be BS. However, this wouldn't be the first time Mike L has said something and then completely gone against it months later...

08-16-11 09:49 PM
    I don't want QNX faster.. they can't even get native email on the PlayBook, why would I want QNX on my phone? Take your time RIM.. use the PlayBook as intended, as a test bed and roll it out when it's ready.
    08-16-11 09:53 PM
    I would rather them take their time and get it RIGHT. The last thing we need are reviews calling it "rushed", "incomplete", or "not meeting potential". Imagine another Playbook style launch, but this time with a QNX phone that many are calling it a make or break device.

08-16-11 09:53 PM
    The latest rumours indicate that RIM has abandoned the notion that QNX will require a dual-core processor. If that's true, we might be seeing a QNX update for our 9900s sometime in the future. Or, this could all be BS. However, this wouldn't be the first time Mike L has said something and then completely gone against it months later...

Yeah it's strange.. The so called "Colt" has the same specs as the 99 and 98 series. There would be literally nothing other than just RIM's say so to keep QNX off the OS7 phones. Perhaps this is how they will start transitioning users? Allowing users to try the new OS on their own time before the "Super" phones come in 12-13 might be a good plan.

I am absolutely conflicted by this. I want the 9900 badly but I love my PlayBook and think QNX is great so I'd hate to upgrade and literally months later be flanked by a new phone.
    08-16-11 10:00 PM
    RIM will rush out the QNX phone, just like they did the playbook. Will they release a QNX phone with no email? Heck, they did it with the playbook. I ordered a 9930, I'll be getting it on Thursday. I'll stick with that phone, for now.
    08-16-11 10:04 PM
    Interesting if happens. Fun to play with one. But if your phone is part of your livelihood I would rather depend on the standard BBOS at that point.

08-16-11 10:10 PM
    id prly pass on the first qnx phone anyways, especially if its rumored to be a single core. not that its bad or anything, but a 9900 with a single core 1.2ghz that i already have wouldnt warrant it.
    id wait for the first dual core qnx phone.
    08-16-11 10:21 PM
    I don't care...I want the 9900...desperately. I'll worry about QNX phones later.
    08-16-11 10:27 PM
    "Several trusted industry sources" have told some website I never go to that Jim B and Mike L will be resigning their co-CEO positions at RIM to become co-CEOs of Google by the end of 2011. Their goal is to revolutionize the Android ecosystem by putting a full qwerty keyboard on the next Nexus phone - the Nexus Suave, which is due in early 2012.

Write it up, engadget!
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-16-11 10:28 PM
    [QUOTE=Masahiro;6579952]The latest rumours indicate that RIM has abandoned the notion that QNX will require a dual-core processor. If that's true, we might be seeing a QNX update for our 9900s sometime in the future. Or, this could all be BS. However, this wouldn't be the first time Mike L has said something and then completely gone against it months later...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/

According to someone I know the 9900 will be getting the qnx
    Update. Not all the new 7's will be though. Rim will bring qnx updates
    Down the road. Believe me or not, this is what I was told.
    08-16-11 10:30 PM
    Totally don't know why it would be a single core either other than this theory...

Could it have anything to do with how powerful and efficient the QNX runs things that adding dual, quad, etc. cores isn't needed?

I don't pretent to know the technical stuff about operating systems so don't blast me for this theory - lol! I just can't believe RIM is sitting in with the marketing dept. in the room and the guy/gal says, "I've got it! Why not keep it single-core, fall behind the competition even more and kill are stock value even more!?" Just doesn't make sense unless it has something to do with the QNX being powerful enough to keep things single core.
    08-16-11 10:30 PM
    I don't care...I want the 9900...desperately. I'll worry about QNX phones later.
    Even though later could be in just a 2-3 months?
    08-16-11 10:32 PM
    Just because you buy this one doesn't mean you can't have the next one too. People don't understand how easy it is to sell old tech and reinvest a little bit and then be the proud owner of the newest
    Masahiro likes this.
    08-16-11 10:34 PM
    Yes. I think the 9900 looks amazing and is exactly what I want right now. I have been patiently waiting for it and am excited to pair it with my playbook.
    08-16-11 10:45 PM
    ROFL at someone thinking RIM would release a product in a timely fashion w/out months of delays.
    08-16-11 10:50 PM

I don't think the 9900 can do the QNX OS.
    08-16-11 10:52 PM
    Point is, the 9900 is in my hand now, the QNX phone is a dream at this point. Perhaps telling people to hold off on a phone they can actually buy versus a phone that has not been seen, wouldn't be the best course of action.

08-16-11 10:55 PM
    To those of you whining about the speed of QNX on a single core CPU phone - how do you know it won't run every bit as snappy as OS7 on the 9900? I'm willing to bet RIM wouldn't release QNX for a phone that won't be able to keep up at all. They aren't that stupid...

That being said, who cares if they roll out a new phone in a year. If they don't update their product line constantly, people don't buy new BlackBerries and RIM doesn't make money. It's how the economy works kiddies Grow up and take part.
    08-16-11 10:59 PM
    On the BB news feed it is being reported that QNX may make it this year with a one core CPU. The investors have a tight grip on the balls of the Rim CEO'S so things are moving a lot faster now. I got two up dates from app world today and have been getting one or two a week for the past month. Yep i would say some one is tighten that grip on there Balls.
    08-16-11 11:01 PM
    Point is, the 9900 is in my hand now, the QNX phone is a dream at this point. Perhaps telling people to hold off on a phone they can actually buy versus a phone that has not been seen, wouldn't be the best course of action.

So spending hundreds of dollars on something you can have now which will clearly be replaced in months is the "best course of action"? What's the definition of faith again? lol! I know what you are saying...a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush but I feel we've waited this long....why not a little longer. If QNX won't be out until a year then I'd spring for a new device now but QNX sounds like it's coming sooner than later. At least RIM is apparently putting other stuff off (10" playbook) to release a QNX smartphone. I think they have to push this b/c they know that the 9900 is dated before it was even released.
    08-16-11 11:31 PM
    please rush it out, android does it, the time is now, lets see what RIM has got.....
    Except Android gets it right.
    08-16-11 11:55 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD