Hi everyone! Former 9650 owner here. Loved it, but went back to Android for two main reasons...

1. no turn by turn navigation.
    I searched the forum... so BB Traffic now offers FREE Turn by turn navigation? Does it work well? I use Google Maps now on Android and its flawless!

2. Internet speed. The 9650 was sluggish, and a pain to use. The Android is just a smoother, and more importantly faster interface. I am hoping this has been remedied? Please let me know what you think about your net speeds!

Would appreciate your insight everyone. Really want to come back to a Bold! Thanks!

NYC, Verizon <--- in case it matters.
    08-21-12 11:21 PM
    2.5 times the processor speed should tell you a lot. Went from a 9650 to 9930 myself, and the improveents are astounding.

Traffic kicks booty. Only thing it's missing is an overhead view.

Browser is quick. Very quick, and renders nicely.

Keypad is beyond words.

OS isn't revolutionary, but very evolutionary.

You'll love this phone. Simple as that.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-21-12 11:54 PM
    What exactly are you looking for in a BB. There have been some improvement since the 9650.
    08-21-12 11:58 PM
    I also used a Bold 9650 previously and upgraded to a 9930 and it's like night and day! The 9930 is 100 times better!! Everything works like it should. It does all the simple things well. If you are a TRUE BlackBerry user, you will appreciate this phone! BB Traffic works well with turn by turn directions and it's also integrated with BBM and BB maps so you can share your location and get turn by turn directions from a location on the map.. I went to Android for a bit, but just missed BlackBerry.. There is just something about BB..
    ajst222 likes this.
    08-22-12 12:15 AM
    the 9900 is for sure much better than the 9650.. But check out the other bb7 devices, they're all great in different ways, find a bb that suits you.
    08-22-12 05:43 AM
    I also had a 9650 and upgraded to the 9930. Without a doubt the 9930 is the BEST BLACKBERRY to date (IMO), it's faster, bigger and better in all aspects. I use TeleNav for my guidance and it works well for ME. BEST damn keypad ever put on a smartphone
    PJD642 likes this.
    08-22-12 06:31 AM
    I also had a 9650 and upgraded to the 9930. Without a doubt the 9930 is the BEST BLACKBERRY to date (IMO), it's faster, bigger and better in all aspects. I use TeleNav for my guidance and it works well for ME. BEST damn keypad ever put on a smartphone
    +1 to everything above. Same story for me, right down to Telenav...snagged it for $10.00, alternate between using it and BB Traffic, depending on which one I feel like using. Both work very well.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-22-12 07:05 AM
    I also went from a 9650 to a 9930 on Verizon. The 9930 is the best Blackberry ever IMO. The combination of the touchscreen and the amazing keyboard can't be beat. Browser is faster, the os is solid and BB traffic works great, I use it all the time for turn by turn navigation.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    08-22-12 08:01 AM
    2.5 times the processor speed should tell you a lot. Went from a 9650 to 9930 myself, and the improveents are astounding.

Traffic kicks booty. Only thing it's missing is an overhead view.

Browser is quick. Very quick, and renders nicely.

Keypad is beyond words.

OS isn't revolutionary, but very evolutionary.

You'll love this phone. Simple as that.
    Hey! Thanks. I don't care about the OS. I loved my BB, I just couldn't stand the SLOOOOW internet. So its been remedied it sounds like?

Traffic is true turn by turn nav though??

Thanks again!
    08-22-12 09:37 AM
    What exactly are you looking for in a BB. There have been some improvement since the 9650.
    9650 with faster internet and turn by turn navigation.
    08-22-12 09:38 AM
    I also used a Bold 9650 previously and upgraded to a 9930 and it's like night and day! The 9930 is 100 times better!! Everything works like it should. It does all the simple things well. If you are a TRUE BlackBerry user, you will appreciate this phone! BB Traffic works well with turn by turn directions and it's also integrated with BBM and BB maps so you can share your location and get turn by turn directions from a location on the map.. I went to Android for a bit, but just missed BlackBerry.. There is just something about BB..
    Outstanding! Thank you!

the 9900 is for sure much better than the 9650.. But check out the other bb7 devices, they're all great in different ways, find a bb that suits you.
    I think the 9900 is the best Verizon BB available...

Thanks!

+1 to everything above. Same story for me, right down to Telenav...snagged it for $10.00, alternate between using it and BB Traffic, depending on which one I feel like using. Both work very well.
    Awesome! This is all sounding good.
    08-22-12 09:40 AM
    The Bold 9650 was a tank in its prime but the 9930 is WAY better. OS7 (like stated above) isn't revolutionary but it is evolutionary and a huge improvement over OS5 & OS6.
    The browser is very fast. I don't think it'll ever be as fast as an Android (at least until BB10) but it IS a close second.
    The keyboard is good too.
    If web browsing is your main concern then maybe you should look into the Torch 9850? I heard web browsing on that is great.

I bought a Bold 9930 off eBay this morning & I'm patiently awaiting its delivery on Friday. I'm telling you, you should go ahead & get the 9930.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-22-12 11:27 AM
    I almost started cracking up when you said Android was a smoother interface hahah. But yes, the Bold 99xx is 2.5x faster as someone said. A lot more RAM. The browser is just as fast as my Droid Razr's was. The browser is a HUGE improvement. I was a bit skeptical on all the hype the keyboard had, but it lived up to it! Touchscreen is excellent and the resolution is awesome! My Bold 9930 boots up faster than my Droid Razr did which is also a huge improvement. Go for it!

I had my BlackBerry Tour for 2 years, went Android in December. I switched back to my Tour 9630. It goes to show that I will take a 3 year old dated BlackBerry over a "top of the line" Android device. I traded that for a Bold 9930 and couldn't be happier (unless I had the Torch 9850; I like full touchscreens) The problem is: you are comparing your probably new Android phone to a 2 year old Bold 9650. That is the reason why BB has such a bad rep...because people compare their new phones to older BB models back when they were dominant.

EDIT: And yes, BlackBerry Traffic is turn by turn. Forgot to answer that even though it has already been established lol. Great app
    Last edited by ajst222; 08-22-12 at 08:22 PM.
    08-22-12 08:14 PM
    The Bold 9650 was a tank in its prime but the 9930 is WAY better. OS7 (like stated above) isn't revolutionary but it is evolutionary and a huge improvement over OS5 & OS6.
    The browser is very fast. I don't think it'll ever be as fast as an Android (at least until BB10) but it IS a close second.
    The keyboard is good too.
    If web browsing is your main concern then maybe you should look into the Torch 9850? I heard web browsing on that is great.

I bought a Bold 9930 off eBay this morning & I'm patiently awaiting its delivery on Friday. I'm telling you, you should go ahead & get the 9930.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    Appreciate the honesty on the browser speed.

I want the 9930 cause in part.. its a handsome .

I LOVE the keyboard.

Prices on used ones are pretty high.. 300ish.

Thanks for the info!
    08-23-12 06:32 PM
    I almost started cracking up when you said Android was a smoother interface hahah. But yes, the Bold 99xx is 2.5x faster as someone said. A lot more RAM. The browser is just as fast as my Droid Razr's was. The browser is a HUGE improvement. I was a bit skeptical on all the hype the keyboard had, but it lived up to it! Touchscreen is excellent and the resolution is awesome! My Bold 9930 boots up faster than my Droid Razr did which is also a huge improvement. Go for it!

I had my BlackBerry Tour for 2 years, went Android in December. I switched back to my Tour 9630. It goes to show that I will take a 3 year old dated BlackBerry over a "top of the line" Android device. I traded that for a Bold 9930 and couldn't be happier (unless I had the Torch 9850; I like full touchscreens) The problem is: you are comparing your probably new Android phone to a 2 year old Bold 9650. That is the reason why BB has such a bad rep...because people compare their new phones to older BB models back when they were dominant.

EDIT: And yes, BlackBerry Traffic is turn by turn. Forgot to answer that even though it has already been established lol. Great app
    Your browser is near as fast as your Razrs... WOW!

Fast boot up, really that is a good change too. It use to be so slow!!!

I more or less compared my 9650 to the likes of older droids to be fair. The slowness of the 9650 was real apparent with newer Androids. Truth is, I love BB so I want to get back in the fold but want to know what I am getting into first. And everything sounds really good.

Thanks for the help!
    08-23-12 06:34 PM
    I still have my company issued 9650 and enjoy it very much for work stuff, but my 9930 of course smokes it in just about every way as others have mentioned and the keyboard is about perfect for me. I do like the latched battery cover on the 9650 though, I always thought that was cool. BlackBerry Traffic is great so far, I just started using it. Someone mentioned Telenav, I had a trial version and it was very good however they wanted $4.95 a month for the service, to be tacked onto my Sprint bill, so I bailed.
    08-23-12 07:04 PM
    Your browser is near as fast as your Razrs... WOW!

Fast boot up, really that is a good change too. It use to be so slow!!!

I more or less compared my 9650 to the likes of older droids to be fair. The slowness of the 9650 was real apparent with newer Androids. Truth is, I love BB so I want to get back in the fold but want to know what I am getting into first. And everything sounds really good.

Thanks for the help!
    I getcha. The browser back then was just unenjoyable. In fact I'm typing this now of my 9930 and I don't like the mobile CB site or the app. I use the full site. And the speed for me on 3G is obviously pretty fast. I'm an impatient person haha. But the browser I would say is the best feature. I am a big web browser so that is important to me when choosing a phone
    08-23-12 08:47 PM
    I've used nothing but Desktop view since my 9700, going back around 3 years ago. The 9700 was faster than my 9650, 624mHz processor vs 524Mhz, but the larger memory of the 9650 saved me once I became a moderator. I'd have never managed the number of tabs or page sizes required to mod this site. The speed was definitely painful at times, and I had my share of browser crashes along the way. Now, with my 9930 I can pull up just about any thread within 4 seconds, I haven't reached a tab limit, and my browser memory regularly exceeds 300Mb for the day.

I POSITIVELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS PHONE!
    08-23-12 10:22 PM
    Blackberry traffic is turn by turn directions but has not map. Just the street names,distances and when to turn. Like watching the words only on a gps.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    08-23-12 10:46 PM
    I getcha. The browser back then was just unenjoyable. In fact I'm typing this now of my 9930 and I don't like the mobile CB site or the app. I use the full site. And the speed for me on 3G is obviously pretty fast. I'm an impatient person haha. But the browser I would say is the best feature. I am a big web browser so that is important to me when choosing a phone
    I've used nothing but Desktop view since my 9700, going back around 3 years ago. The 9700 was faster than my 9650, 624mHz processor vs 524Mhz, but the larger memory of the 9650 saved me once I became a moderator. I'd have never managed the number of tabs or page sizes required to mod this site. The speed was definitely painful at times, and I had my share of browser crashes along the way. Now, with my 9930 I can pull up just about any thread within 4 seconds, I haven't reached a tab limit, and my browser memory regularly exceeds 300Mb for the day.

I POSITIVELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS PHONE!
    Thank you both. This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I couldn't deal with the impressively slow browser before. Sounds like problem resolved!
    ajst222 likes this.
    08-24-12 10:58 AM
    Blackberry traffic is turn by turn directions but has not map. Just the street names,distances and when to turn. Like watching the words only on a gps.

Sent from my Bold using Tapatalk
    Whaaat? that sounds, umm... different. Is it still easy to listen and follow to while driving?
    08-24-12 11:00 AM
    WAY faster! I had an unlocked 9650 before and it was great...but 9900 is that much better!

The only downside for me to the 9900 is the battery life which doesn't compare to the life I got from the 9650.
    08-24-12 11:04 AM
    Thank you both. This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I couldn't deal with the impressively slow browser before. Sounds like problem resolved!
    http://forums.crackberry.com/accesso...d-zagg-740266/

Check this out when you do get one. I wrote a review on a full body protector I ordered. IMO, a must-have.
    08-24-12 11:51 AM
    Personally, I much prefer a TPU case and screen protector, combined with the holster for a 9000.
    08-24-12 02:39 PM
    Personally, I much prefer a TPU case and screen protector, combined with the holster for a 9000.
    I like full body protectors. Knowing the whole phone is covered from scratches and scuffs makes me feel good. Plus I can still use virtually any case. I do like the OEM hard and TPU cases. I switch between a few
    08-24-12 02:49 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD