I got a notice today on my phone about some sort of OS update or something from Verizon.. It was like 33 mb.. Anyways, it said before i installed that it would take my phone offline for 2 hours... So i downloaded it and installed.. It backed a bunch of stuff up, then it said patching OS, then Java stuff, and so on for a couple hours.. Finally when it finished the phone was totally screwed up.. Bascially the OS is totally messed up. It doesn't fit the screen, all the icons are super tiny, the track pad barely works.. i have to use the switch application menu to get into anything.. it looks a lot like a PC that's on safe mode.. I tried to plug it in to to my computer to use the desktop manager, but it doesn't recognize the device.. What should I do?

Blackberry Bold 9930 Verizon
    10-29-11 08:56 PM
    I've never heard of that kind (file size) of update.

Your probably going to have to wipe it and re-install the OS. A new OS would be close to 180-200mb in size. What version OS do you have?
    lafleur19 likes this.
    10-29-11 09:00 PM
    I'm not sure, whichever OS came with it. I bought it in about mid September. If I take it back into the store can they usually re-install the OS for me?
    10-29-11 10:04 PM
    It sound like one of the two OS7_theme.cod or a Tmobile one missing, unless something you did wrong during install.

Do a security wipe from your phone, then wipe with BBSAK, shrink your OS if you good at it and run app loader.

Do a selective restore from your back up
    Enjoy

EDIT do not forget to get rid of the two vendor files if official release.
    lafleur19 likes this.
    10-29-11 10:13 PM
    I'm not sure, whichever OS came with it. I bought it in about mid September. If I take it back into the store can they usually re-install the OS for me?
    No, you'll have to do the wipe. Do a search here and you'll find out how to do it. It's a pretty simple process.

If you are installing a Verizon release (and you have a Verizon 9930), you do not have to delete the vendor files.
    lafleur19 likes this.
    10-29-11 10:26 PM
    It sound like one of the two OS7_theme.cod or a Tmobile one missing, unless something you did wrong during install.

Do a security wipe from your phone, then wipe with BBSAK, shrink your OS if you good at it and run app loader.

Do a selective restore from your back up
    Enjoy

EDIT do not forget to get rid of the two vendor files if official release.
    If you install an official release from your respective carrier, you do not have to delete the vendor file(s).
    lafleur19 likes this.
    10-29-11 10:29 PM
    If you install an official release from your respective carrier, you do not have to delete the vendor file(s).
    LOL i did not mean If official from your carrier, but official rather then a leaked version which comes without any Vendors flies into the App Loader folder
    lafleur19 likes this.
    10-29-11 10:42 PM
    Thank you! I did a security wipe, then re installed the OS using my desktop software (the security wipe must have done something to help the software recognize my phone). Best thing is I have NFC now. Thanks again!
    10-30-11 10:27 AM
    Thank you! I did a security wipe, then re installed the OS using my desktop software (the security wipe must have done something to help the software recognize my phone). Best thing is I have NFC now. Thanks again!
    Good deal! Glad you got it worked out!
    10-30-11 10:46 AM
    There is an option in the options/device/software update to down grade. Just click the update icon again and a downgrade button will popup. You may as well try this before wiping and reinstalling.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by albee 1; 10-30-11 at 11:38 AM.
    10-30-11 11:33 AM
    Well Lafleur19 I'm sorry to hear you have the same problem as me.... HOWEVER, I feel your pain and it's nice to see that it can be fixed. The Blackberry.com forums have not been helpfull at all. I've posted and read there since yesterday evening. I wish i would have come here first. OS7 Download is almost finished so I should be able to re-install soon. I'll post the results when I'm done! Thanks to all that posted in this thread!
    10-30-11 03:52 PM
    I'm not sure i understand correctly... right now I'm attempting to run Apploader, i have a message saying: "Please wait while Windows configures Blackberry device software updater" the little wheel spins and has been doing so for at least 20 minutes. Is this normal? another message is warning me that it found another Blackberry device software and to make sure that my device is not connected. Disconnect the device then Click Ok to continue or cancel to stop installation. As i understand, i'm supposed to do a Security Wipe also... I'm sorry, but i looked at the other links and i'm confused... any help is appreciated.
    10-30-11 05:16 PM
    I managed to wipe my 9900. Now i can't seem to run apploader... I found it using the search function in windows 7. It doesn't show up as a exe file but a msi... is this normal. Also, i noticed in various threads that people use the command promt function and follow with /nojvm. The command prompt doesn't work for me. Is it because it's not an exe file?
    10-30-11 07:10 PM
    @Coach88 this is how I did it: I did the security wipe, then I plugged my phone into my computer to use the desktop software. Initially when opened the desktop manager it said that it couldn't connect to my device, so I clicked on the icon that searched for software updates. It doesn't find any updates, but it gives you the option to "view other version." Click on that. You'll find the OS that's installed on your device listed, just click on that and reinstall. The BB desktop software did do a configiration thing, and I actually had to restart my comp, and get to the OS download again.. But once I went to re-install the OS it only took about an hour, and my phone works perfectly again now. Good luck!
    10-30-11 09:32 PM
    Thanks for your feedback lafleur19; I basically took the same steps except that i had downloaded OS7 so when i connected my 9900 to my PC, DM didn't find it since it was wiped. Like you, i clicked on update but in my case it found the latest version that i had downloaded. I believe it was the same version i had on it before. Everything worked except a few Apps are missing. I had backed up two days ago with Blackberry protect. However, it's not on my BB anymore and when i try to install it, it says that my BB doesn't support it The other concern that i have is that my media card appears to be empty!!! Not Good! I'll be working on it some more in the morning and post my progress.
    10-30-11 10:14 PM
    That's strange. All my apps were still loaded onto the BB when I installed the OS, and Verizon apps that I had deleted were on it as well. When you did the security wipe did you wipe everything (apps, media card, etc), or just the data?
    10-31-11 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD