Hello

Long time since I been in here. My BB 9900 has been going really well for all the time i've had it. Until last night. I had been charging it and had taken it off charge, when the screen just went blank.

All I've got is a white screen with what looks like it says jm1 error 517, have looked this up with no success, it says reset but if i do it just reboots and then straight back to the white screen with jm1 error 517 on it. Can anyone help? it does have one of those gold batteries but thats about it. It was all working fine!

Is it software or something? Am i safe to hook it up to my laptop with the blackberry software manager to see if that does anything? Just totally stuck, hoping someone can help, thank you in advance
    01-12-17 06:28 AM
    Is it 'JM1 error 517' or 'JVM Error 517'? If the later, JMV 517 error code is a result of software corruption. Please see the following links, which might help:
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-12-17 07:15 AM
    01-12-17 07:18 AM
    As far as i can tell its JVM error 517? I'm totally lost.

The phone has never done the backups itsefl automatically for some reason but i often hook it up to blackberry software desktop and do it manually, my last update being last year oooops but i'm assuming everything is on there? Even if i do have to wipe it, would i get my pics and everything back in a restore afterwards?

Have hooked it up to desktop software, its not recognising it at all, just says retry, update or cancel
    01-12-17 07:23 AM
    If i do need to wipe the phone, to upload OS again, since i've backed up manually on desktop software, would i then be able to restore all my stuff and pics from there? I can't believe i haven't got an SD card in it!!!!!!
    01-12-17 07:36 AM
    I think you'll struggle to retain settings if you don't already have any backups. If you use BlackBerry Protect to do nightly backups you might be able to restore some settings, contacts, text etc. from that.
    Either way it looks as though you'll need to reload the OS. Sorry!
    Perhaps wait to see if anybody else chips in before proceeding, others may know better
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-12-17 07:55 AM
    yes, i'm just worried i won't be able to recover my stuff, it is backed up on my desktop blackberry software thingy, as the phone has never really done it by itself always had to do it manually this way.
    01-12-17 08:01 AM
    So if you have a recent backup via the BB Desktop Software you should be able to get most things back to how they were at that last backup after you've reloaded the OS.
    Personally, I'd still wait a while to see if others have better suggestions. Good Luck!
    GlamGemini likes this.
    01-12-17 08:05 AM
    Thank you! Yes i have a fairly recent back up of about june time last year on there, been slacking a bit. I daren't press that update button just yet LOL I'll wait a little bit to see if anyone else can help also.

thank you for your help so far, much appreiciated!
    01-12-17 08:12 AM
    As far as i can tell its JVM error 517? I'm totally lost.

The phone has never done the backups itsefl automatically for some reason but i often hook it up to blackberry software desktop and do it manually, my last update being last year oooops but i'm assuming everything is on there? Even if i do have to wipe it, would i get my pics and everything back in a restore afterwards?

Have hooked it up to desktop software, its not recognising it at all, just says retry, update or cancel
    The data on the phone is gone.... nothing you can do about it. Reload the OS, and see what you have in you Backup..
    01-12-17 08:19 AM
    Ah crap, I'm hoping there's quite a bit in my back up on the desktop software. What a nightmare.
    01-12-17 08:24 AM
    So all it does if i press update on the blackberry desktop software, is this just re loads the software? I'm not gonna break the phone or anything. Sorry am so nervous with this! so it just reloads the software hopefully and then i can restore my stuff? Did I get that right?
    01-12-17 03:54 PM
    Any progress with your problems and attempts to reinstate your 9900?
    I'm not clear from your last post - if you attach the 9900 to the your PC is it recognised as connected by the BB Desktop software?
    01-13-17 02:35 AM
    Hello

If i connect the bb to the desktop software, its not recognising the phone and just keeps continually rebooting and returning to the error screen. On the computer, since its not recognised, getting the error message saying retry, update or cancel
    01-13-17 05:53 AM
    OK it looks as though you have no option but to reload the OS, see the links in posts #2 & #3. Read the appropriate CB page carefully before proceeding.
    You will lose all your data on the phone
    01-13-17 06:16 AM
    Ah ok

So if i try update on the BB software on desktop, what will that do? Will it reload the software if i try and press update?
    01-13-17 06:31 AM
    From what you say, the BB desktop software doesn't recognise your 9900 and therefore you can't take that route to reload the OS. If you can, give it a go, otherwise you need to follow How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    01-13-17 07:00 AM
    Ok, will do Can't do any other.
    01-13-17 07:02 AM