Via BBM I got sent a 1.24mb file and I don't know what it is. I couldn't open or see it.

If it is bad idea like to delete it.

On my 9900 btw thanks guys
    05-04-12 06:42 PM
    Do you know who sent it to you?

If I were you I wouldnt open it unless its from a trusted source.
    05-04-12 06:45 PM
    Do you know who sent it to you?

If I were you I wouldnt open it unless its from a trusted source.
    Yes kinda a new person I met on bbm
    05-04-12 06:49 PM
    It was supposefly a pic. And I can't find it
    05-04-12 06:51 PM
    Well if I were you I would use your best judgement. Depending on who they are to you is based upon if I would open it or not.
    05-04-12 06:51 PM
    Well if I were you I would use your best judgement. Depending on who they are to you is based upon if I would open it or not.
    Woulda coulda shoulda go away post counter........is antone else about please who can help ? .......where's byul when ya need him gee gee
    05-04-12 06:55 PM
    Only 2 places it could be. Device memory or media card. Open media folder, press Menu/Explore. If you locate the file you can highlight it and press menu/properties. That way you will know if it is indeed a pic or something sinister. Happy hunting.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    05-04-12 10:26 PM
    Only 2 places it could be. Device memory or media card. Open media folder, press Menu/Explore. If you locate the file you can highlight it and press menu/properties. That way you will know if it is indeed a pic or something sinister. Happy hunting.
    Thank you Albee 1. Do you ot anyone else no how to see recent DL's ?

I didn't know about the method you explained however there are so many options / files.

Thanks

Ben
    05-05-12 06:56 AM
    I still am unable to find the file. More worrying, the bbm contact I bbm'd this morning and the bbm message isn't going through, it shows a red cross.

The person is in the UK as it shows on her profile however I have a feeling its a duplicitous who is a pseudonym.

My next steps will be a full device wipe then restore. The restore part will just restore back to my bb's state now though ?

*also this 1.24 mb file, would it be possible for it to be spyware or similar ?

Thanks again
    05-05-12 07:25 AM
    They sent you a pic, you're too paranoid to open it. Move on.

If it was 'spyware', you haven't opened it, hence no infection. Meh

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 08:42 AM
    They sent you a pic, you're too paranoid to open it. Move on.

If it was 'spyware', you haven't opened it, hence no infection. Meh

I am paranoid and I saved it - I didn't open it as there wasn't the option.
    05-05-12 08:45 AM
    It could be a corrupt file. But if you saved it, you can most likely find it back.
    Remember the date and time if possible and where you have saved on sd card or device memory.
    And try to find it. I don't think it's that bad i think it's a corrupt file.
    When i save my recent pictures i can all find it back in my pictures folders on top.
    I have sort on recent/date though but there is also vice versa.
    Ben1232 likes this.
    05-05-12 09:22 AM
    It could be a corrupt file. But if you saved it, you can most likely find it back.
    Remember the date and time if possible and where you have saved on sd card or device memory.
    And try to find it. I don't think it's that bad i think it's a corrupt file.
    When i save my recent pictures i can all find it back in my pictures folders on top.
    I have sort on recent/date though but there is also vice versa.
    Thank you for you response byul. Can you elaborate on the corrupt part please.
    05-05-12 09:30 AM
    just wipe your phone......but do a backup
    Ben1232 likes this.
    05-05-12 09:37 AM
    To get a clear mind I think that's my best option.
    05-05-12 09:43 AM
    Just follow byul's advice and use the file manager to find the file and DELETE it. No need to wipe and reinstall. Try deleting it first.
    05-05-12 09:51 AM
    You're going to do a full wipe on your device because you can't find a file that downloaded through BBM?
    Sounds like you might have more problems than just figuring out if that file is safe or not.

bobauckland likes this.
    05-05-12 10:00 AM
    Okay try tjis first. Click the search icon. Type .jpg or .gif or .bmp. It should pull up all pics.
    05-05-12 01:35 PM
    A faulty file that you can't open somehow. Just try to find the file first before you are going to perfom a full wipe + reinstall.
    I don't think you would need to do that anyways just go and try to find it. I dunno how many pictures you have stored.
    I have over 5000 ish pictures on my memory sd card which can take a while to find for the correct file.
    But as albee_1 said could try to look jpg, gif, bmp's format first. And look for the recent ones since i guess the file you downloaded is still fairly fresh.
    05-05-12 02:00 PM
    Thanks for everyone's help.

I've got yet to find it but I can only guess if it was spyware etc the file would have been larger than 1.24mb.

I will be updating my OS this week so will follow all your advice and furthermore look then.
    05-09-12 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD