Hi! I'm a first time BB user, coming from an Android phone. So bare with me, as I'

I just switched over to a 9900 today. Before I bought it, I had gone to the skype mobile site and saw mentions of Skype for BB so I assumed it was available... especially with the popularity of BB and Skype.

Imagine my disappointment when I realized that Skype is only available for Verizon! If its some exclusivity deal, that's fine... but what has that got to do with me being on Telus in Canada???

To make a long story short, I'm currently in a long distance relationship and my gf and I rely on Skype as our main means of communication... so being able to IM and call using Skype is critical for me. So much so that if there is absolutely no way to use Skype on the 9900, I would probably have to sell and give up the BB, which I really do not want to do.

So please, I need help... are there any decent skype clients for BB? My search showed iskoot and IM+, but iskoot seems to have been discontinued. What about IM+? Any experiences with it? Given the price of it, I want to make sure it actually works before I pay. Also I'm a little confused as there seems to be several versions of IM+.. which one do I need?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    Last edited by milksteaks; 08-21-11 at 10:05 PM.
    08-21-11 09:55 PM
    08-21-11 10:00 PM
    http://mobile.vzw.com/download/Bourb...ype_mobile.jad

you might be able to use this but i am not sure
    Installed it and ran it. But I get a popup saying it for verizon only..

Anyone with experience with IM+?
    08-21-11 10:37 PM
    Even the VZW version can't use wifi! Sad.
    08-21-11 10:45 PM
    Verizon made sure the Skype "Mobile App" was exclusive to them.
    Skype found a loophope and was was able to publish the non-mobile App in other plataforms, however, only the mobile app is available for BB.
    08-21-11 10:58 PM
    For just Skype messaging, you can use the free imo.im beta. https://imo.im/blackberry

IM+ Talk looks to be what you are after if you want Skype calling. There is a 30-day trial on Appworld.
    Buy IM+ Talk: with free VoIP calls - Download IM+ Talk: with free VoIP calls - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    will1881 likes this.
    08-22-11 07:34 AM
    Beware the IM+ is only for messaging on Skype. If you try to call someone, he gets like a link on his browser, then he must open the browser, to listen to the voice note, it is very annoying and definitely not worth the money they ask for.

Crappy app in my opinion
    08-22-11 07:51 AM
    IM+ Talk works with push to talk, tried it with my brother.. only problem i occured was that it wasnt very loud

if you just want to chat IM+ Talk and IM+ Pro both work, IM+ Talk is only for skype while IM+ Pro is the best multi messenger available
    (lets you use skype, icq, msn, googletalk, aim, windows live messenger, fb chat etc all in one)

IM+ (free client) also works, but i'd suggest IM+ Talk or IM+ Pro because in the free version skype sessions are only 30minutes long, after that you have to reconnect

IM+ Pro = awesome app in my opinion
    08-22-11 08:00 AM
    Honestly, rather than all this download loudtalks app. And install on other phone as well. Voila.. Push to talk.. Walkie talkie dats works over wifi as well.. As 3g 4g and you can use your headphones for private talk. BEST APP.. Its also for android

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 08:31 AM
    skype is still the best.but ...
    08-22-11 08:42 AM
    who knows, maybe microsoft now will allow skype people on blackberry!
    08-22-11 08:48 AM
    Hi milksteaks,

Please give a try to the latest free version of IM+ for Skype chatting:
    IM+: Instant Messaging for BlackBerry :: BlackBerry :: Products

The latest version 9.0.2 of IM+ comes with Neighbors service which allows to find new real life connections and friends with common interests nearby.

You can also try IM+ Talk for making Skype calls for 7 days for free:
    IM+ Talk :: BlackBerry :: Products

You are highly welcome to leave your comments about our apps!

Vitaly,
    PR Manager
    SHAPE Services
    Last edited by SHAPE; 08-22-11 at 09:51 AM.
    08-22-11 09:48 AM
    Milksteaks, I have a North American Skype subscription that costs me less than $3 a month. With this subscription I get unlimited calls with skype on my computer and with any mobile skype app- I make calls (not skype to skype- actual calls to both landlines and cellphones) over wifi on my ipod touch (4th Gen) all the time.

This doesn't help you with a BB of course but here's the thing: with a subscription you also get a free skype to go number. This is a local number that you can call and then place calls over the regular phone network. I got this number and added it to "my 10" (Rogers) and now I get to make free calls from anywhere in Canada.

Of course this isn't over wifi or 3G/HSPA+, but if I'm at home it's just a regular call (with unlimited minutes since it's in my 10); if I am travelling internationally I'd never use skype over 3G anyway. For that I use my ipod and a wifi source or a cybercafe.

I also live in Calgary and am one of those lucky Canadians who can get a Google Voice number (area code 403 is the only one in the world outside the US that works for GV forwarding- it does not work for any other part of Canada) and that coupled with Skype to Go makes me not miss my dedicated Skype app for my old Nokia phones.... much.
    08-22-11 12:47 PM
    jfmanzo, thanks for the info! I never knew about Skype to Go and I think with my Fav 5 plan, it could be very useful! It'll likely cost me more though as my gf is outside north america. I'll have to look into how much this will cost me....

Now my question is... is there a way for me to call on my BB using Skype to Go, to my gf's Skype account rather than a landline/mobile??

Milksteaks, I have a North American Skype subscription that costs me less than $3 a month. With this subscription I get unlimited calls with skype on my computer and with any mobile skype app- I make calls (not skype to skype- actual calls to both landlines and cellphones) over wifi on my ipod touch (4th Gen) all the time.

This doesn't help you with a BB of course but here's the thing: with a subscription you also get a free skype to go number. This is a local number that you can call and then place calls over the regular phone network. I got this number and added it to "my 10" (Rogers) and now I get to make free calls from anywhere in Canada.

Of course this isn't over wifi or 3G/HSPA+, but if I'm at home it's just a regular call (with unlimited minutes since it's in my 10); if I am travelling internationally I'd never use skype over 3G anyway. For that I use my ipod and a wifi source or a cybercafe.

I also live in Calgary and am one of those lucky Canadians who can get a Google Voice number (area code 403 is the only one in the world outside the US that works for GV forwarding- it does not work for any other part of Canada) and that coupled with Skype to Go makes me not miss my dedicated Skype app for my old Nokia phones.... much.
    08-22-11 11:27 PM
    I just downloaded the imo.im beta app and it works great!! Very pleased with it... especially with the price! IM+ pro's push notifications sound good, but seems quite pricey. I'll see how imo.im is on my battery life first before I jump the gun.

Now for skype calling... I read IM+ Talk is only half duplex and you have to press a button to talk??? That doesn't sound very good or practical at all... and at such a hefty price???? (sorry, I'm used to Android where apps almost never cost even half of the IM+ Talk price).

For just Skype messaging, you can use the free imo.im beta. https://imo.im/blackberry

IM+ Talk looks to be what you are after if you want Skype calling. There is a 30-day trial on Appworld.
    Buy IM+ Talk: with free VoIP calls - Download IM+ Talk: with free VoIP calls - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    08-22-11 11:36 PM
    thanks for the info SHAPE.

Regarding IM+ Talk... do Skype calls go through 3G/Wifi or is it somehow going through my voice plan and as such, using up my talk time??

Are the calls still half duplex requiring the push of a button to talk?

Hi milksteaks,

You can also try IM+ Talk for making Skype calls for 7 days for free:
    IM+ Talk :: BlackBerry :: Products

You are highly welcome to leave your comments about our apps!

Vitaly,
    PR Manager
    SHAPE Services
    08-22-11 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD